What's new

Participation PIF- Let's Hammer out some shaves

Shave Two with Hammer #2

Today’s shave:
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons tulip 2 super badger
Soap: Haslinger’s schafmilch ‘tallow’
AS: Floid

‘Tuggy’ (no surprise), definitely uncomfortable (focus on technique). Still no blood and zero irritation!

Best ‘Hammer shave’ yet: DFS (8/10)! I prefer these to carts!! :a29:

What I've Learned Hammering Out Some Shaves

Thank you, @tbhoff
, for the opportunity to try these blades and all your work on this PIF. Thank you for both the Hammer Brand Blades and the Astra SP "Control" Blade. I'm glad I got a chance to participate in this.

Today vs Yesterday: Has blade technology and manufacturing really come this far?!? There was definitely a WOW Factor for me when I switch over to the Astra SP control blade (albeit, I've only tried this vintage blade but still). Same razor, Gillette Slim, same setting, 4, but the shaves were just so different, with the Astra SP being so much smoother and sharper.

Results: I definitely was able to get several good shaves (SAS) from the Hammer Brand Blade, but, like most everyone else, the "feel" of the blade detracted from an otherwise decent shave. Their contradictory performance and consistency added an air of mystery to these blades.

My Take Away: I could definitely shave with these if they were all I had, but shaving wouldn't be nearly as fun (or as obsessive to me) as shaving with the modern blades; it might even become a chore again. I love trying different blades, good and bad, and really enjoyed the opportunity to Hammer Out Some Shaves with these blades.

Shave Three with Hammer #2

First, Thank you, @tbhoff, for a great PIF!! I really enjoyed trying the blades even if I had to Hammer out some shaves!!

Today’s shave:
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons chubby 1 best badger
Soap: Haslinger’s aloe vera ‘tallow’
AS: La Toja

‘Tuggy’ (as always), definitely uncomfortable (focus on technique). Still no blood and zero irritation!

DFS/C&C (7.5/10).

Discussion. The Hammer blades were consistent, not especially sharp, uncomfortable and ‘tuggy’ throughout my shaves. They also delivered fine shaves (better than most anyone else at work) with zero nicks and zero irritation!

So, like most others, I could use these blades daily and be perfectly happy except for the fact that I have better options! :a29: :a29:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone and sorry I've been away for so long...work is truly a cruel mistress sometimes.

I know this will likely surprise some (all?) of you, but I beleive I'm up to about 15 shaves on a single hammer now. Surprisingly, no really change other than maybe slightly less tuggy (although I may just be used to this). I've been alternating between a cheap shavette and this hammer blade based on my preference for the day and how much time I have.

I really don't notice any major differences between shave 15 and 1, other than the blade has expectedly dulled. I don't notice anything during the shave (and I usually HATE dull blades), but my "problem area) along the right side of my neckline definitely more between passes and ends up as SAS+ at best.

The routine I've found that works well with this blade is LONG hot shower (or shave in the shower). Xtg one way, xtg the other way then atg. I use very, very short strokes as well, especially atg. The tugging problem doesn't seem to really exist (or not that I perceive) when I focus on very very short stokes.

While I've been able to make these work (and for a long time) for me, I would say I "enjoy" using them. For me, they are perfect for a rushed shave, especially if I need to shave in the shower (usually, I end up massacring my face if I try to shave in the shower without a mirror) or if my skin is irritated/healing from a previously bad shave or a breakout where I know I'll slice the top off of bumps otherwise.

I have a few tucks of these left which will last me as long as I think I'd possibly want to use them (knock on wood) considering their long life as an "average," irritation free shave for me. There was originally a pretty good stash of them on EBay at a great price, but those all appear to have been picked up by a reseller who has a few sleeves listed at something like $45. I was worried I would be disappointed that I didn't pick up more when I had the chance, but I think this is fine for me.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their testing.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone and sorry I've been away for so long...work is truly a cruel mistress sometimes.

No doubt, I just worked 13 days in a row.

I think I am up to about shave 10 on my first Hammer. This is way longer than I normally use a blade.

I found short strokes better with the tuggy-ness. My plan-evolution with this blade was to skip the WTG pass, but I found this really didn't help, especially if I went 2-3 days between shaves. It only made the WTG worse feeling.

I know this will likely surprise some (all?) of you, but I beleive I'm up to about 15 shaves on a single hammer now. Surprisingly, no really change other than maybe slightly less tuggy (although I may just be used to this). I've been alternating between a cheap shavette and this hammer blade based on my preference for the day and how much time I have.

I really don't notice any major differences between shave 15 and 1, other than the blade has expectedly dulled. I don't notice anything during the shave (and I usually HATE dull blades), but my "problem area) along the right side of my neckline definitely more between passes and ends up as SAS+ at best.

The routine I've found that works well with this blade is LONG hot shower (or shave in the shower). Xtg one way, xtg the other way then atg. I use very, very short strokes as well, especially atg. The tugging problem doesn't seem to really exist (or not that I perceive) when I focus on very very short stokes.

While I've been able to make these work (and for a long time) for me, I would say I "enjoy" using them. For me, they are perfect for a rushed shave, especially if I need to shave in the shower (usually, I end up massacring my face if I try to shave in the shower without a mirror) or if my skin is irritated/healing from a previously bad shave or a breakout where I know I'll slice the top off of bumps otherwise.

I have a few tucks of these left which will last me as long as I think I'd possibly want to use them (knock on wood) considering their long life as an "average," irritation free shave for me. There was originally a pretty good stash of them on EBay at a great price, but those all appear to have been picked up by a reseller who has a few sleeves listed at something like $45. I was worried I would be disappointed that I didn't pick up more when I had the chance, but I think this is fine for me.

Tough guy!! Those Hammer blades were certainly consistent!!

Testing was definitely interesting.

After a quick break for a modern blade (Euromax - much better than I expected), I returned to a Hammer blade from Tuck #14.

No better or worse than the previous blade (wish I'd bothered to check which tuck it was from), but by taking many short strokes as recommended by someone up-thread I feel like I was minimising the agony.

Despite some fairly cavalier shaving around the chin area, still no nicks, cuts or weepers - this blade could really get you into some poor habits. Probably not a good idea to go straight from long-term use of Hammers straight to a Feather :letterk1:

I had to trash my first Hammer. Went way longer than I expected, but it got to the point it wouldn't cut the hair on my chin. I would have to make several passes.

After a short Hammer break, I used Hammer #2 this morning - and threw caution to the wind doing it.

Today I used the Hammer in a Lord razor that I have only used a couple times, paired with my first use of the new Barbasol 1919.

The results were the same as before. Tuggy and uncomfortable but an ok shave. In fact, it feels a better shave 20 minutes after.

I didn't do so well this time below the jaw line this time though.

While I understand most of the PIF participants are done, I am continuing my trial of the Hammer, per the terms of the PIF.

Today I tried the Hammer in a Ming Shi futur clone. Oddly, it wasn't very tuggy at all, but didn't shave very well. It wasn't very close and a little bit irritating. Finished up with AV Musk that did not burn much at all.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Thanks again for the "Hammer" blades. If nothing else, I can brag about having shaved with a hammer anytime someone says they once shaved with an axe!

I found your experience almost the same as mine. It's a surprisingly good blade, if not the most comfortable.

And I sure hope that work settles down for you my friend. Ugh. I really miss my job, every single day, but I'm finally getting to the point where I enjoy being retired.

Top Bottom