What's new

Participation PIF- Let's Hammer out some shaves

Starting out, I'll mention that this PIF is open to anyone globally.

In the effort of continuing the recent PIF I received from @Chef455, and due to how much I enjoyed reading the
"Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades," from @Grundi with blades from @Space_Cadet , I've decided to do a similar Participation PIF with a lot of vintage "Hammer Brand Stainless" blades I recent acquired.

I haven't been able to find much information on these blades other than what is on the packaging, so I thought this would be a cool way to get some new information about them posted as well.

Everyone who participates gets 3 USA-made NOS Hammer blades. (depending on level of interest by the end of next week, I may include 4 instead based on what I have available). I'll try and give everyone a mix of blades out of various tucks just in case there is any kind of manufacturing/storage issues with certain tucks. I will be labeling them as "1-3" (ie- Tuck #1, Blade #3 in that box), so people can know exactly where everything came from in case this proves to be important.

I'll use the same rules as the previous participation PIF (language shamelessly copied from that thread).

You'll need to actually USE at least one of this blade (I would prefer you try a second in case its a dud) and POST your experience in this thread!! You can talk about the razor you tried the blades in, any software involved, your shaving preparation and method, maybe include some shaving-related pictures, add witty banter, and any other kinds of stuff. Also, see how many shaves you can get from each blade.

The PIF Phase will run between now and ends on 9/18/2020.

The Participation Phase
begins whenever you receive your blades!! I'll plan on mailing out the international requests as soon as they are received and all of the CONUS envelopes ~1 week after to give the international participants a bit of a head start.

Here are the rules:
  1. You have 10 quality posts (if you don't have 10, get posting!!)
  2. You're willing to post about your experiences in this thread
  3. Have great fun trying these USA-made NOS vintage blades
  4. If you don't like them, please pass them to someone else who might be able to use them.
  5. Post any information you can find about these blades or the "Vulcan Safety Razor Corp." out of Maplewood NJ.

IMPORTANT: Once you've posted "I'm In!", please send me a PM with your name and complete mailing address (I'm in the US, so if you're international, please include your Country with your mailing address). I'll be mailing these out in standard first class envelopes. If you are a stamp/mail collector, let me know and I'll try use vintage postage on your envelope (supplies permitting). If you collect vintage blade boxes, also let me know and I will include a flattened box in your envelope as well (onces again, quantities permitting).

So far what I know about these Blades comes almost entirely from this post here from 2010:

It look slike it was part of Imperial Knife from this snip I got from this knife board, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460213

"It became Schrade Walden Cutlery Corporation, a division of Imperial Knife Associated Companies Group, which included:

Imperial Knife Company, Inc. of Providence, R.I.
Ulster Knife Company Inc. of Ellenville, N.Y.
Schrade Walden Cutlery Corp., of Walden N.Y.
Kingston Cutlery Co., addressed New York, N.Y.
Vulcan Razor Corporation of Maplewood N.J."

I also saw that the trademark was active from 1949 to 1952 per this trademark site, http://trade.mar.cx/US71574001

Attachments

• hammer.jpg
    hammer.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 50
  • hammer2.jpg
    hammer2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 51
  • hammer 3.jpg
    hammer 3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 50
I've been working through some new razors and blades, so this would be a fun add to the mix. I'm in!

I wouldn't mind giving it a go. I'm testing out a bunch of blade right now anyway and tracking info on all the shaves.

I'm in. I love to try and discover new blades. I participated in the Tatra Platinum and followed the Elios Inoxidable Pif resulting in buying those blades.

Ooh, I'm definitely in!

Loved the other participation PIFs, and I don't think I've ever shaved with a USA-made blade.

Ooh, I'm definitely in!

Loved the other participation PIFs, and I don't think I've ever shaved with a USA-made blade.

You should try some Personna Labs and/or Med Preps (made in Virginia)!! PM me if you haven’t tried them. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm in!! @tbhoff, this is great that you're doing this, thank you!! I had a blast with the other Participation PIFs and am looking forward to Hammering Out Some Vintage Shaves!!

(PS. you beat me to the punch - in a good way. @Space_Cadet just sent me a bunch of blades for a new Participation PIF but I haven't organized things yet. So, sometime late October'ish/November'ish, we keep thing exciting around here with a follow on Participation PIF. This is what's great about these - some vintage, some new, some classics, many unknowns - and lots of fun to be had!!)

Surprisingly fast responses from a number of you. Glad to see that there is interest. FYI- I am going to be doing the best I can with logistics, but I will NOT be individually confirming/replying to most of the PM's on this topic due to time constraints. Updates will be posted directly in this thread.

Here's an update of everyone, in no particular order, who has sent me an address so far- We have a good geographic distrubution, with participants from 4 different countries and 7 different states in the US so far.

International: (If the mail to your address is best delivered in non-English language script, feel free to send it to me in whatever language is likely to result in the envelope being delivered and I'll print it directly on the envelope)

• SharpieB
  • Weean
  • Chard52142

CONUS:
  • jaro 101969
  • OpusX
  • Maradon
  • BigJ
  • Grundi
  • Emwolf
  • NicksDad

If for some reason you have sent me your address and don't see it on this list, please send me another PM with something polite along the lines of: "Hey Bozo! Can't you read?!" Choice of phrasing and level of criticism of my negligence at your discretion.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Surprisingly fast responses from a number of you. Glad to see that there is interest. FYI- I am going to be doing the best I can with logistics, but I will NOT be individually confirming/replying to most of the PM's on this topic due to time constraints. Updates will be posted directly in this thread.

Here's an update of everyone, in no particular order, who has sent me an address so far- We have a good geographic distrubution, with participants from 4 different countries and 7 different states in the US so far.

International: (If the mail to your address is best delivered in non-English language script, feel free to send it to me in whatever language is likely to result in the envelope being delivered and I'll print it directly on the envelope)

• SharpieB
  • Weean
  • Chard52142

CONUS:
  • jaro 101969
  • OpusX
  • Maradon
  • BigJ
  • Grundi
  • Emwolf
  • NicksDad

If for some reason you have sent me your address and don't see it on this list, please send me another PM with something polite along the lines of: "Hey Bozo! Can't you read?!" Choice of phrasing and level of criticism of my negligence at your discretion.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Rough crowd! Hope we can smoothing things out with a (Hammer) shave or two!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm in!
This is a really neat idea. I've been in a blade rotation since I started a couple months ago, so adding these into the mix would be a pleasure. I was using a Slim Adjustable for my first month and a half, and now somehow in the past couple of weeks I'm up to 4 different razors... I was warned...

WOW!! I tried researching these blades and ended up in a complex web of knives and blades backroom intrigue!! These blades come with a lot of history!!

Using some of @Trainer7 and @tbhoff information, I found that the Imperial Blade (later Imperial Knife) was supplying Sears with various pen and pocket knives. Sometime around WW2, Sears approached Albert Baer, Imperial Blade, to begin supplying Sears with double edge safety razor blades, and a joint venture named Vulcan Safety Razor Corp was formed (along with a fellow named Arthur Tuerff). Vulcan produced blades under the Vulcan, Sears, Craftsmans, and Hammer labels. During the early days, a lubricant supplier messed with the blade perservative formula and caused several million blades to begin corroding, thus producing "less than quality shaves".

The venture would last into the 1970's and would also produce the official Boy Scouts Hand-Kraft Knife for woodcarving and model making.

Imperial Knife Associated Companies, Schrade Walden, and Ardell Industries would all be part of this fascinating adventure born from Sears desire to jump into the double edge razor blade business.

Top Bottom