What's new

GIVEAWAY! Jifuli Chinese blade PIF

That's five. Just need an address from DesertIguana.

And with one exception, so far it looks like everyone is from towns so obscure as to be probably outside the nuclear blast radius of any strategic target. Good choices, guys, good choices.

We're talking isolated, folks.

I'll try to get these in the mail Monday.

As promised here is my review. A longer version is available here: The 2024: 1-Blade, 1-Week, *Daily Shaving Adventure - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-2024-1-blade-1-week-daily-shaving-adventure.647586/post-12553651

I got to sample these courtesy @AshleyC. Many thanks again for the testing opportunity!

Summary: The Jifuli Platinum Edge, purchasable at Aliexpress, performs yeoman-like, but it is dull compared to alternatives in the same price peer class. You should expect to pay about 5-7 cents per razor, so competitors in Western markets include the Dorco ST300, Big Ben Stainless, and a host of other options.

I shaved four separate times with the same razor blade. It has been said that Chinese consumers prefer duller blades and the Jifuli Platinum Edge obviously was meant for Chinese shavers because personally I thought it lacked pure cutting ability. If the Gillette Nacet is a 9 in sharpness and the Astra SP and Treet Platinum a 7, these Jifuli blades cut around a 5.5-6 in my experience. I only tried this in the ‘aggressive’ Fatip Grande and will try it again in another razor like the vintage Gillette Tech as time permits.

The Jifuli blade did tug a bit for me on longer stubble, but in the end final effects are perfectly good. It performs workman-like if not remarkably. But the Platinum Edge name is a bit of a misnomer. Myself, I associate “platinum” with smoothness, comfort, and strength like in the Treet Platinum - and the Jifuli Platinum Edge is a bit behind there. Also on the longevity side, the quality of cutting drops quickly after the initial shave.

Overall I think it worth considering if you don’t have a tough forest to mow down and you catch a good sale, but I like the Dorco ST300 better personally. Dorcos are sharper and last for a few shaves more. As always, YMMV.

January 28, 2023 Sunday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, stainless steel
Blade: Jifuli (China) (1)
Soap: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Brush: Maggard 26mm Marble Handle synthetic
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Old Spice Original

The focus of today's shave was the Jifuli blade, graciously PIFed by @AshleyC. As much as I would like to give a glowing report on this new and unknown blade, such is not the case. The good news: I survived! The bad news: I noticed a bit of tugging on the WTG pass, and the tugging was accompanied by a slightly rough sensation. The shave wasn't as close as the Suneko blades (also from China) I've had very good success with.
Be that as it may, I am still thankful to have had the opportunity to try out this blade.

It was a three pass shave. No weepers, nicks, cuts or accidental amputations. There was no irritation, but my face didn't feel as pampered as when using top tier blades.

8.75/10

Enjoy your day

January 28, 2023 Sunday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, stainless steel
Blade: Jifuli (China) (1)
Soap: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Brush: Maggard 26mm Marble Handle synthetic
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Old Spice Original

The focus of today's shave was the Jifuli blade, graciously PIFed by @AshleyC. As much as I would like to give a glowing report on this new and unknown blade, such is not the case. The good news: I survived! The bad news: I noticed a bit of tugging on the WTG pass, and the tugging was accompanied by a slightly rough sensation. The shave wasn't as close as the Suneko blades (also from China) I've had very good success with.
Be that as it may, I am still thankful to have had the opportunity to try out this blade.

It was a three pass shave. No weepers, nicks, cuts or accidental amputations. There was no irritation, but my face didn't feel as pampered as when using top tier blades.

8.75/10

Enjoy your day
I want to comment further on the shave this morning, featuring the Jifuli blade. First, it's not a terrible blade. I mentioned a rough sensation, but it wasn't serious. After 7 hours, I can feel a little bit of stubble. With a Nacet, Perma-Sharp or Personna Lab Blue the shaves last over 12 hours before the very first stubble can be felt. I would attribute this to the lower sharpness the Jifuli has.

The Jifuli blade wouldn't qualify to be stocked in my den, but if I had to shave and had only a Jifuli to use, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Anyway, it's always a good thing to try something new in the shaving world.

I want to comment further on the shave this morning, featuring the Jifuli blade. First, it's not a terrible blade. I mentioned a rough sensation, but it wasn't serious. After 7 hours, I can feel a little bit of stubble. With a Nacet, Perma-Sharp or Personna Lab Blue the shaves last over 12 hours before the very first stubble can be felt. I would attribute this to the lower sharpness the Jifuli has.

The Jifuli blade wouldn't qualify to be stocked in my den, but if I had to shave and had only a Jifuli to use, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Anyway, it's always a good thing to try something new in the shaving world.
I understand what you are saying, and I echo the spirit. Truthfully, razor blades are meant for cutting and by and large they do, even though we have our favorites and as humans we're influenced by advertising and old-fashion endorsements. There are many perfectly good substitute brands and models. It's really only we hobbyists that recognize the relatively minor differences between them because we are hyper-attuned to the shaving experience.

I am sure Jifuli has many satisfied customers in China and elsewhere. They make an attractive (to me) aluminum safety razor I want to pick up.

Top Bottom