What's new

Participation PIF - ELIOS Inoxidable Blades

F6B50959-47F5-4A1B-B415-494CFF49C6FE.jpeg

Shave no. 3 with the ELIOS Inoxidable Blade - My initial impression about this blade seems to be holding true. For me, the blade is not smooth and not particularly sharp. Todays shave with the Timeless Aluminum was very irritable with cuts and a few weepers. Yours may be total different than mine. I have tried these blades in two razors, the GC .68-P (a mild shaver) and the Timeless Aluminum (slightly more aggressive with some blade feel). If I was not in the participation in this trial for the Elios blade, I would not use them again. Keep in mind, this is my experience with the blade. YMMV.

I am having the exact same experience with these blades. I switched to a used Voskhod blade (one shave on it), just to see how the difference was for me, and it was night and day. I'm glad a lot of folks are getting use out of these.

I think I alluded to this in my first impressions post, but as someone who exclusively used GSB & Polsilver for ~4 straight years before using the ELIOS PIF'ed blade, I actually liked the effect of the ELIOS. What blades are comparable?

Today, I tried a Rapira Swedish Super Steel for the first time. It gave me ELIOs vibes, tbh. Not the sharpest of blades, but like the ELIOS, I actually found it to be smooth; zero nicks, zero weepers, zero drama. Similar face feel for me.

I have 250 Wizamets on the way, but I think I'll be spending some more of my DE time exploring different kinds of blades. After another use of the Rapira SSS, I'll try an Astra Superior Stainless, then the Tatra and Tiger. I have a Blackland Vector being delivered in a couple days, so I'll also be somewhat engulfed in trying different AC-style blades as well.

This PIF has got me curious about blades again, but not in an obssessive way, hahahaha. I'm glad to have been a part of this thread.

WAIT, R U telling me that the Voskhod is sharper than Elios? Where is Derby in your list.........:straight::straight:
Hm, sharper? 🤔 Maybe? I think so...

What I am saying for sure is that the Voskhod is much better at shaving my stubble and much smoother for me than the Elios.
Derby Extra (if that's the Derby you're asking about) is not as sharp as Voskhod, but they are pretty smooth for me. Not sharp enough for me to use regularly, tho.

Okay, so after saying no more reports on the Elios, I had to report on tonight's shave.

I am into my last week of my one blade challenge and the one blade had the WTG pass. Needless to say that this point, a lot of stubble was left after the first pass. The Elios in my resurected Ibsen slant did the ATG pass. As mentioned earlier, this blade is made for a torqued slant razor. The thick blade just made the edge stiffer and after the ATG pass, there wasn't enough to do an XTG pr touch up pass. I have decided that the remaining Elios blades will be dedicated for use only with my torqued slants from now on.

DSC03073.JPG

Okay, so after saying no more reports on the Elios, I had to report on tonight's shave.

I am into my last week of my one blade challenge and the one blade had the WTG pass. Needless to say that this point, a lot of stubble was left after the first pass. The Elios in my resurected Ibsen slant did the ATG pass. As mentioned earlier, this blade is made for a torqued slant razor. The thick blade just made the edge stiffer and after the ATG pass, there wasn't enough to do an XTG pr touch up pass. I have decided that the remaining Elios blades will be dedicated for use only with my torqued slants from now on.

View attachment 1065599
What a beauty!! The blades seem like a natural pairing with that razor!!

View attachment 1065599
That's a really pretty handle. Where did you get it, and what's it weigh?

Good day all! I received my blades the other day from @Grundi. I just shaved with one in my Super Adjustable and I am liking the results. Here is what I used:
20200222_100658.jpg
I did a two pass shave, one WTG and one ATG. On a setting of 5, the loaded Elios took off 40 hours of growth quite well. On the first pass, the blade felt like it was dragging/pulling a bit but it was still pretty smooth. The second pass was really smooth resulting in close shave, a DFS! So far I am liking the Elios in the adjustable. Tomorrow I will increase the setting to 6 and see if I can get a BBS (it was close today).

Sorry I haven't posted here for a while. I've been hooked on the McKee hone. Today I used it on a Van der Hagen blade, which was always rough for me. This morning's shave was a delight

Hi, I just received the blades. Will try em tonight; thanks Grundi.
Now the 1 billion $ ? which razor to use.... GC OC , Schone, Fatip, Karve...or a Gillette....

OK, 1st shave report.
First I have to say that based on all the reports I read (all); I CHEATED.
I soaked a cork in water for hrs, then before I loaded the blade I corked one side and left the other new. This is something I have read and tried once before and did not work (cork was dry then).

Soap: MWF
Brush: Muhle synthetic
Razor: Schone
Head-shave 2 day growth.

Half a head w corked blade the other as it came.
Corked half was very, very smooth and seemed sharp . Good shave
The untouched half: now that was rough....pulled, did cut but was a bit unpleasant....i kept going (against my better judgement).
2nd and last pass was done w the corked side.
All in all a good shave.
Post shave was Proraso AS and balm.

Look forward to using this blade again in another razor and then I will retire it to a shavette (that is what I do w good blades, use them 3-4 in razor then 1-2 shavette).

Cheers and thanks again to Grundi for his generosity....

Good day fellas! The second shave with the Elios blade went well with the Super Adjustable set on 6. I did a two pass shave again (WTG, ATG). Both passes were smooth. The result is pretty much the same as yesterday, a DFS without irritation. Here's my setup:
20200223_090651.jpg

For tomorrow's shave I am going to set on 7 and see if I can get BBS.

That's a really pretty handle. Where did you get it, and what's it weigh?
The original handle looked like this:

ibsen.JPG

The crack on the left was originally smaller and the crack on the right I made by trying to correct the crack on the left (which got bigger).

I replaced it with a 12mm OD/10mm ID carbon fiber tubing.I don't know the weight, but it works and I got a great shaver.

Okay, again I said no more reports until after the one blade challenge, but I have to report that this Elios blade seem to get better the more shaves it gets. I am now on what I am estimating to be shave #5 and started loading it in some of my heavier hitters like my WR2 1.15 and my Paradigm Diamondback. The stiff and thick blade really works well in those razors, which I notice does not bow the blade as much. This is one blade that I might actually look to buy one day. It reminds me very much of my Parker blades.

Well, I tried the second edge of the first blade in my Rapira tech this morning, and found it more comfortable than last week's outing in the Wilkinson Sword Classic.

This runs counter to expectation (usually the Rapira accentuates a rough blade), so possibly the two edges aren't finished as well as each other, or possibly my perception was skewed because I started the morning trying to use a Chinese "Flagfish" blade which was so bad I couldn't finish a single pass on just one of my cheeks. I'll try again with the Elios in the morning.

Well, I tried the second edge of the first blade in my Rapira tech this morning, and found it more comfortable than last week's outing in the Wilkinson Sword Classic.

This runs counter to expectation (usually the Rapira accentuates a rough blade), so possibly the two edges aren't finished as well as each other, or possibly my perception was skewed because I started the morning trying to use a Chinese "Flagfish" blade which was so bad I couldn't finish a single pass on just one of my cheeks. I'll try again with the Elios in the morning.
I have not heard of a Flagfish Blade, but doing a bit of research revealed that several have had similar experiences as yours. There's been a couple of Chinese blades that I've been pleasantly surprised by (and a couple that should have come with warnings).

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Chinese blades.... No more Chinese blades for me. Tried a couple and vowed not to do that again in my lifetime.

Chinese blades.... No more Chinese blades for me. Tried a couple and vowed not to do that again in my lifetime.
Actually the Wilkinson Sword Gillette made in China are far better than the ones made in India. I did not know there were two sources and ordered 100; got India and were not as good as the sample pack I had. Then I verified the one I liked was China.
And there are some Van der Hagen blades made in China....I have a pack....now those I have not found the courage to try.....

Top Bottom