What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

Hear ye!! Hear ye!! The first batch of blades are packaged and ready to be mailed!! I will mail them on my way to work tomorrow morning!!

PLEASE Czech Your Blades!! The factory's Quality Assurance Process for the Tiger Blades seems a bit suspect!! I've NEVER seen blades this bad straight out of the package!! The tuck that these were in looked fine, no damage, nothing!! So PLEASE Czech Your Blades!!

Czech_Your_Blades.jpg

No, I did NOT send these to @FarmerTan!! Wanted to, but didn't!!

I checked my Tiger blades and they look fine. On the other hand, if they were bent, then that might explain the roughness! :001_tongu

Anyway, here are a couple more entries from my journal. As a coincidence, I actually mused about quality control issues while shaving with the Tiger blade!

Second shave with Tatra Platinum Blade #1

May 2
: Used the Maggard V3 again. Similar performance to the first use. Very smooth on all three passes. Extremely minimal buffing today.

I was almost shaving on automatic; I didn't have to strain for a close shave like I did with the Tiger. Today's keyword is "comfort". No irritation afterward. No discernible decrease in sharpness, yet.

Overall, another close, comfortable shave.

Third shave with Tiger Platinum Blade #1

May 3
: Before today's shave, I pondered why the Tiger and Tatra blades might feel so different from one another, assuming that they're both made on the same production line. They measure alike (they're both 0.10 mm thick, for example). The laser-etching looks identical, other than one saying "Tiger" and the other "Tatra". Their packagaing (wrappers and adhesive wax blobs) is identical, except for different colouration/logos.

I've tried to ensure consistency by removing variables (i.e. using the same setup for both blades). Therefore, I won't know the reasons until I discard the current test blades and try more examples. Variability during production is not unheard of. Could it just be a matter of quality control? Will the next Tiger be great and the next Tatra awful? Anyway...

I thought about corking the blade (maybe one stroke per side) with the intention of removing any remaining coating from the blade's edge to, hopefully, smooth it out. However, I'm glad that I didn't because today's shave was better than the previous two.

Using the Maggard V3... The WTG and XTG passes were reasonably smooth. It's not up to the standard set by the Tatra, but the roughness exhibited during previous shaves has lessened. I required moderate buffing, this time, though.

I still needed to pay close attention during the ATG pass. Oddly, there was some tugging and even a bit of skipping. The Tiger was extremely efficient during the previous two shaves, plowing through stubble like a laser. Now, I'm wondering if the blade is dulling, already. That could also explain the extra buffing needed for the WTG and XTG passes.

I'll shave with this blade one more time to see if this was an anomaly. If the performance worsens, then I'll switch to a new blade. Then, we'll be able to test the theory that I postulated above. That is, is the roughness due to variability during production (read: poor quality control) or just a trait of the Tiger brand?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Alas I have a hundred pack of each, so I am not in for the PIF. But i will watch closely as I have had mixed results with these blades in various razors so far. I was able to play along with the Wilkie Challenge as I had a bunch of various unopened Wilkies from differing vintages and countries of origin that I had never tried previously. This time, however, I’ve been currently rotating the Czech blades in an out, and testing them with various razors.

Not in . . .

I succumbed to the first wave of Tatra reviews on here and ordered 100. I like 'em. I tend to like the somewhat milder blades, meaning I don't tend to use super sharp blades like Feathers, PolSilvers, or Kai. I have tried two of the three but in my daily driver (a Merkur 38C) they're just a tad too aggressive for my liking. So the Tatras landed in my sweet spot.

Thanks for doing this Grundl and Space_Cadet!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hear ye!! Hear ye!! The first batch of blades are packaged and ready to be mailed!! I will mail them on my way to work tomorrow morning!!

PLEASE Czech Your Blades!! The factory's Quality Assurance Process for the Tiger Blades seems a bit suspect!! I've NEVER seen blades this bad straight out of the package!! The tuck that these were in looked fine, no damage, nothing!! So PLEASE Czech Your Blades!!

View attachment 1095618

No, I did NOT send these to @FarmerTan!! Wanted to, but didn't!!
As my lovely War Department says: I deserve everything I get!

I'm pretty sure she wasn't being nice!

Oh yes, I'm in. As you can see, as one of those foreign correspondents I'm already in (thanks @Grundi !)
IMG_20200504_112104.jpg

I'm looking forward to testing the new Tiger Plats against the Tiger Stainless that (legend has it) were the last run in the factory after Gillette had taken over, and before they moved all their production to St Petersburg.

I wasn't particularly bothered about testing Tiger vs. Tatra since tthey're supposed to be the same blade
Ok, I've got a reply from Czech Blades:

Case closed :)
But responses in this thread already cast some doubt on that. Unfortunately I only have two identical razors so I'll have to run the comparison over (at least) two legs.

Not in, but the Tatra is my current go to blade, works exceptional good with my Aristocrat.
One of, if not the, best blade I have.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
As a bonus, they are very affordable, a lot bang for the buck.

Top Bottom