What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

@Demolition, great reviews!! I'll be starting up soon!!
Thanks, @Grundi! I'm curious to see what you and others think of these blades. I'm worried that I might be completely off-base with my impressions!

But, judging from the remarks in this thread, it seems like the Tatras are favoured by those who've tried them.

Edit: I just read flash75's review of the Tiger blade in the "Tiger Platinum (made in Czech Republic)" thread. His impressions are similar to mine: The Tiger offers a close shave, but is not very comfortable, and possibly dulls quickly. Seems like this may be a theme.

Last edited:
Tiger Platinum, Blade 1 Edge 1. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic), Cella.

First impressions are very positive, nicely smooth. Not Feather-sharp, but giving a good result. I come out the bathroom thinking I've done well. Over the next hour, however, there is a little irritation begins to develop on my neck. Not enough to complain about, but it needs mentioning in the frame of an evaluation shave.

Verdict: Needs more testing.

Third shave with Tatra Platinum Blade #1

May 4
: Used the Maggard V3 again.

I've used the term "predictability" many times in this and other reviews. It's linked to consistency, but it's not quite the same thing. In a nutshell, to me, consistency is getting the same or similar performance from shave to shave; you won't know if the consistency is there until you actually use the blade. Meanwhile, predictability is gauging whether the next shave will be good or bad and whether it's advisable to use a blade again or bin it.

So far, the Tiger has been consistent (consistently rough from shave to shave), but unpredictable (I can't tell if the blade is going off, so I don't know what I'm in for if I use the blade again). The Tatra has been consistent (consistently mild from shave to shave), yet also predictable (I'm confident that the next shave will be smooth with no chance of a sudden drop in performance).

As for today's shave, it was smooth and comfortable again. My ATG passes have been routine (almost boring), unlike the Tiger blade which requires me to stay focused. I'm still surprised at the stark differences between these blades. I mentioned earlier that using the Tatra feels automatic; I'm just moving the razor over my face.

On the other hand, when I use the Tiger, I'm keenly aware of it scraping over my skin. It provides a close shave, but not necessarily an enjoyable one. However, the Tatra has been a pleasure to use. At this rate, I could see using this particular Tatra blade for a long time.

Fourth shave with Tiger Platinum Blade #1

May 5
: Used the Maggard V3 again.

The blade is definitely less sharp this time. Frankly, that's a good thing because the sensation of roughness has also lessened. Maybe what I'm experiencing is just a prolonged version of what often happens to many blades. That is, they become smoother over subsequent uses.

I wouldn't say that the Tiger has become smooth, though. It's still less refined than the Tatra and requires more care during use, although it continues to mow down the stubble with ease. A bit of a Jekyll-and-Hyde thing going on.

Well, I'm up for one more use. Maybe that will be the one where this blade's true colours shine through (unlikely :001_tongu).

The blades arrived this A.M. in time for my daily shave. The blades were almost lost in the mail as one side of the envelope was ready to give way.! Tools used: EJ DE89 razor, Arko & a Disruptor Brush. The first pass was very smooth & after 2 passes & touch up I had a close nick free shave. :thumbup1:

@Grundi. The blades just arrived I will be starting the review for Friday's shave. Thanks you again for hosting these awesome PIF reviews.

Attachments

• 20200507_130909.jpg
    20200507_130909.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 15
It looks like mine are arriving today as well. I am going to make my first shave Sunday or Monday night so I can get a little growth on me first. Looking forward to trying them.

Thanks @Grundi for the chance to try these two blades. First up was the Tatra blade in JAWS. This gave a nice smooth shave with two very slight weepers. Did feel a bit of irritation afterwards but nothing horrible. As said above ATG was uneventful (which is nice). I’ll run this razor/blade for a week and see how it changes before trying the tiger.

This is awesome!! Blades are arriving (or have arrived) and so the fun is already under way!! I'll jump in with tomorrow's shave, going with the Tatra in my Gillette Slim!!

Reviews have been great so far!! Keep 'em coming!!

Fourth shave with Tatra Platinum Blade #1

May 6
: Maggard V3 again.

The WTG and XTG passes were typical of previous shaves with the Tatra blade. I experienced some minor tugging on the ATG pass, although there was no discomfort or irritation afterwards.

This blade might be dulling, but not enough to warrant binning it, yet. If it worsens, then I'll consider putting it in an aggressive razor to see if that breathes more life in it. Regardless, it's still an excellent performer.

Odd note: I noticed that I shave much faster with this blade than with the Tiger. I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: this blade is confidence-inspiring; I have no fear when using it.

Fifth shave with Tiger Platinum Blade #1

May 7
: Maggard V3 again.

Well, I was wrong. I thought this Tiger blade was just going to keep flipping back and forth between bad and really bad shaves. Guess what? (Chicken butt.)

But, seriously, folks...

Today's shave with the Tiger was much better than the previous one (and the previous one was actually pretty good). All three passes were relatively smooth and the comfort level was much higher than before.

In particular, the ATG pass exhibited none of the roughness of previous shaves. Also, unlike previous uses, I was able to shave without exerting all of my focus on my technique. The previous four shaves were almost exhausting because I had to constantly watch what I was doing, every step of the way.

This time, I had a shave that was similar to what I'd been getting from the Tatra: almost effortless and surprisingly relaxing. So, although I've only had two decent shaves (after three bad ones, early on), I think that this blade is finally coming around. I know that the majority of people won't have the patience for it, but it does pay off to give a blade at least 3-4 shaves before declaring it unusable. Or, at least, that has been my experience.

So, here's something that I never thought I'd utter: I'm looking forward to my next shave with this Tiger blade.

Tiger Stainless Edge 1 Shave 1; Wilkinson Sword (plastic) Classic; Cella

Technically not a part of this PIF, but I thought it would be interesting to compare the old Tiger Stainless against the current offerings. I bought a tuck of these shortly after starting DE shaving because I liked the label (shallow, moi?). They were already NOS then, and now they seem to be unobtanium. Unfortunately I liked them, so I haven't touched them in about two years. Hopefully my memory hasn't been playing tricks on me all this time.

First impressions was that there was a little bit of drag, but this was because I'd been a bit lazy lathering my soap and the razor was dragging on my face in the first area I shaved - the blades themselves were lovely and smooth, and sharp to boot.

I got a very close shave and might have used some alum, but I wanted to see if there was any post-shave irritation like I found with the Tiger Plats on their first shave so I left it. I'm happy to report that there was no irritation, and it seems that recollections of this blade were correct.

Shave #1 - Czech'ing Out The Tatra Platinum Blade

Razor:
Gillette Slim (5/WTG and 5/ATG)
Soap: Tabac Shave Stick

Results: the Tatra Blade felt nice out the tuck, cut my 2-day growth very nicely, and only 2 weepers (in the normal trouble spots), resulting in a DFS+ shave. I'm usually a 4/4 on the Slim, but cranked it to 5 on both passes, just because. There was no tugging or roughness on either of the passes. This seems like a really nice blade.

Post Shave Note: I didn't notice any irritation during or directly following the shave, but I did notice some irritation after about an hour, similar to @Weean's experience with the Tiger Platinum Blade. It wasn't horrible, just noticeable.

Special Note: I choose the Gillette Slim because it's my Birth Year/Quarter razor and tomorrow is my birthday. I wanted to have a Shave#2 (which, for me, is normally the best shave on a blade) with this razor on my birthday, in honor of @imatabor, who does an amazing job hosting his birthday shave (and his wife makes the best pancake!! Awesome!!).

Day One with the Tiger Platinum Blade
20200508_133512.jpg

Todays Setup
Pre - RazoRock lime Pre-shave cube
Brush - Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Lather - Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Razor - Rockwell 6C - #4 Plate
Blade - Tiger Platinum (shave #1)
Post - RazoRock Ultimate Alum Stick
Post - Thayers Aloe Vera Witch Hazel
Post - Stirling Unscented Menthol shave balm
Aftershave - Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic

I decided to the same razor that I used for the Wilkinson test but, mixed up some of the software to keep it fresh. I can always count on Stirling products to deliver an amazing lather that delivers a ton of cushion and is beyond slick. My go-to razor has always been the 6C with the 4 plate, it just works and works well. It is hands down the smoothest and most efficient razor that resides in my den. I am an everyday shaver, and my usual go-to blades are Nacets and GSB, I like a sharp but smooth blade.
I received the blades in the mail yesterday so I decided to fire one up this morning to begin the PIF challenge. I loaded up a brand new Tiger Platinum blade in the 6C and was pleasantly surprised with a very smooth shave, the very first stoke (wtg) staring at the left sideburn provided an ever so slight (almost not noticeable) tug, it almost seemed to correct itself before it landed on my cheek, the result was a shockingly smooth 1st pass. the first pass took a fair amount of growth off, but not as much as my normal nacet or gsb would. I lathered up for pass #2 and went to work, the blade really surprised me with just how smooth it was. My initial reaction was that this was smoother than the previous challenge winner (German Wilkie).
I finished up the 2nd pass with no drama, the 3rd pass was more of just a clean up pass, I did notice that my trouble area required a lot of buffing, I usually have issues with the sides of my chin, the hair growth pattern is strange and it is the thickest hair on my face, sometimes it feels like barb wire and usually requires 2 passes to knock it down with a sharp blade (i.e nacet,gsb,feather). I finished up the 3rd pass with some light buffing on the chin and neck and was rewarded with a drama-free DFS. I am very curious to see if this blade can deliver a shave as good as the first over the next few days. The best that I could describe the blade would be like a GSB on 3 or 4 shaves, very very smooth, and very forgiving. My game plan for the next shave is if I feel any tugging I will bump the plate upon the 6C to a 5 or 6 if need be, I am really looking forward to seeing if this blade can remain as smooth as day 1. Thanks again to @Grundi for sponsoring these challenge pifs. Im pretty sure that once the winner comes out of the 2 blades, I will end up buying a brick of blades like the last challenge. You know because I need to have enough blades in my den to outlast the apocalypse lol.

My blades just came today!
Thank you Grundi once again for the opportunity to participate.
Under the microscope the 1st Tatra blade is very similar to Astra blades. It looks like it will be a nice shaver but the real test comes tomorrow.
The 1st Tiger blade looked ok on one side but the other side was very rough and I can see why some feel it is rough in the shave and the edge not so durable.
I will only use the best side of this one.
More to come.

Top Bottom