What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

@JAHE Do not despair. I will send you 2 Krona's, 5 is plenty enough. That way you can participate. I will swap them for those remaining 'X' Series if you still have them.

Please PM me with address and any POST-:letterk1:age (see what I did there @FarmerTan?) regulations for Germany I should know. I've never sent blades abroad before!
Thank you, @Alum Ladd, for doing this!! If you re-use the nickel sleeve and card stock that the blades arrive in, it will only cost 1 international first class stamp. Make sure to add your country code to the bottom of your address and @JAHE adds his country code to the bottom of his.

I just had to go check the mail, got them today. Thanks a lot to Space Cadet and Grundi for making this possible. 1st shave tomorrow. The question now is: which razor to start it with.....:straight:
For me, vintage meets vintage!! I'm using my birthday razor, Gillette Slim (L2)!! Thinking about it, this razor may have held a Schick blade when the Blade was brandy-new, fresh off the line!! Now its Old Friend Has Returned!!

Welcome, New/Old Friend -- Blade 1, shaves 1-2

IMG_20220521_200100969.jpg

Well, what a treat to retrieve the mail today. There was no question in my mind as to which razor to use. The Schick Krona from the same era as the blade was a natural pairing. I selected a soap/aftershave combo that would have been available at that time as well.

So, what did it feel like to shave in 1968? Using this setup, it was smooth and comfortable. The Krona is a mild razor, yet I get very acceptable shaves from it. The Schick SSS Krona blade performed very well. Three full passes were required on the face and the dome, but the results are a very darn fine shave. No nicks, irritation, or stinging at all.

This looks to be a blade that will become a very good old friend. I intend to continue using blade 1 in as many of its contemporary razors as it will allow.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ol' @ewk stole my idea, doggone!

I just finished up a shave then shower (I'm weird, but that's how I roll) a few minutes ago.
My razor was an old Krona that I have no idea the age of.... I'll post a pic sometime and maybe you all could help? I used a Badger brush, and a Palmolive stick, on a pre-moistened, incredibly handsome face.

This blade, and the combo of all the other parts, gave me a BBS shave better than anything I've ever gotten before. I only did two passes, and if I had stopped there I'd have been smart! Instead, my incredibly handsome face smarts a little bit!

I followed the shower up with some vintage Avon Leather.... keeping with the theme of the late 60's ya know!

I'd have to give this a 9.9/10 for a grade....
This is without question the best shave I've ever had with a blade on its first use. Unbelievably close. Thanks again, @Space_Cadet and @Grundi !

And to think I was going to sit this one out!

HEY: Anyone of you in the CONUS that would like one of these blades, holler. I'll only give one out, but I will give them to 3 different folks that ask.

Lol, you cannot BELIEVE how it pains me to even make this offer, lol, because these babies are that good!

First Schick/Krona blade
Face shave
Following Grundi steps; I got a Superadjustable 84mm, O! Set to #6
Post shower
Commodore X2
SV
2 pass shave no drama
medicated witch: burning
Nivea balm
AqVelva 5in1.

Good initial shave, I forgot to use preshave (noxema or Proraso); and if I compare it to yesterday's shave (Nacet 3 in a Gillette Senator) yesterday was closer and smoother?

I have discovered a Schick razor, God knows when it was made, it's grey with the larger dial.....will try that, but admit, that razor does not shave as close as I like.....it's more of a blue tip competition.....

@JAHE Do not despair. I will send you 2 Krona's, 5 is plenty enough. That way you can participate. I will swap them for those remaining 'X' Series if you still have them.

Please PM me with address and any POST-:letterk1:age (see what I did there @FarmerTan?) regulations for Germany I should know. I've never sent blades abroad before!
AWESOME!
You made my day!

Happy Fun GIF

Thanks so much for offering me to send some of your blades. That's super generous. I'll hapilly send you the two mysteree blades, for sure.

PM send.

Wow, this wonderful community never fails to impress 😀 It's such a pleasure being part of this place, guys!

@Alum Ladd
You already have made a new friend by offering an "old friend".
Thanks so much!

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat 1948
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Brush: Yaqi Mink
Aftershave: Vintage Yardley

This blade is very smooth and quite sharp. It's better-than-average performance out of the gate reminds me of other superb blades that were being sold during that same time period. High quality, vintage razor blades like these are the reason I very seldom use modern blades anymore.

Thank you, @Grundi and @Space_Cadet.

9.5/10
IMG_2059 (3).JPG
IMG_2063 (3).JPG

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat 1948
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Brush: Yaqi Mink
Aftershave: Vintage Yardley

This blade is very smooth and quite sharp. It's better-than-average performance out of the gate reminds me of other superb blades that were being sold during that same time period. High quality, vintage razor blades like these are the reason I very seldom use modern blades anymore.

Thank you, @Grundi and @Space_Cadet.

9.5/10View attachment 1459884View attachment 1459885
That is a beautiful razor my friend!

And those bowls keep popping up, making me think it's a sign I need one, lol!

That is a beautiful razor my friend!

And those bowls keep popping up, making me think it's a sign I need one, lol!
Thank you, kindly. I bought the Aristocrat at an online estate sale auction a few months back for $54 shipped. The razor and case are in beautiful condition, so I think that I made out alright.

The Fine bowls are really nice. I do wish the sides were maybe an inch or so higher and you do have to be careful not to drop them, as they break easily.

FarmerTan

Thank you, kindly. I bought the Aristocrat at an online estate sale auction a few months back for $54 shipped. The razor and case are in beautiful condition, so I think that I made out alright.

The Fine bowls are really nice. I do wish the sides were maybe an inch or so higher and you do have to be careful not to drop them, as they break easily.
Thank you for the information on the bowl!

And yes you stole that Aristocrat, lol!

Shick Krona Shave 1

Brush Rudy Vey B&B 2022 Contributors Brush with Muhle 25mm STF knot
Razor Winning Razor
Blade Schick Super Stainless "Krona"
Soap Seaforth Sea Spice Lime
Toner Seaforth Sea Spice Lime
EDT Seaforth Sea Spice Lime

Shave 10/10
My first shave with this fine blade today and the blade was just as advertised, smooth and sharp. In fact it seemed to me that I experienced less audible feedback and less buffing was required. So far I am loving this blade. They just don't make them like this anymore. All in all it was an exceptional shave using some of my favorite shaving accoutrements and I am looking forward to my next shaves. Thanks once again to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for letting me experience these awesome blades!

Krona Winning.jpg

An Old Friend Returns - Schick (1)

TL;DR -
Wow!! Smooth, sharp, lives up to the hype!! Tiny bit of roughness to start, but then, amazing!!

Equipment: Gillette Slim (on 5), Schick Super Stainless(1), GrayDog Synth Brush, and PdP 63 Shave Soap

History: I was not old enough to shave when these were being manufactured; and I feel fortunate to have found my birth year/quarter razor. Putting the Schick Blade into a Razor that was around then is just an amazing piece of History in action!!

The Shave: Wow!! The Schick Super Stainless Blade has NOT lost any step after all this time!! After some initial, tiny amount of tugging/roughness (the first swipe or two), this Blade smoothed right out. PdP 63 always lathers up nicely and provided the Schick with an excellent lather to work with. It was only the first shave, but my impression is that this is a top-tier blade.

An Old Friend Returns - Schick (1)

TL;DR -
Wow!! Smooth, sharp, lives up to the hype!! Tiny bit of roughness to start, but then, amazing!!

Equipment: Gillette Slim (on 5), Schick Super Stainless(1), GrayDog Synth Brush, and PdP 63 Shave Soap

History: I was not old enough to shave when these were being manufactured; and I feel fortunate to have found my birth year/quarter razor. Putting the Schick Blade into a Razor that was around then is just an amazing piece of History in action!!

The Shave: Wow!! The Schick Super Stainless Blade has NOT lost any step after all this time!! After some initial, tiny amount of tugging/roughness (the first swipe or two), this Blade smoothed right out. PdP 63 always lathers up nicely and provided the Schick with an excellent lather to work with. It was only the first shave, but my impression is that this is a top-tier blade.
I was really impressed with the condition of the wrappers and blade. These blades must have been stored by someone who wanted to make them last.

Shave 1, blade 1

Blades arrived from French Quarter of LA along the banks of the mighty Androscoggin. 30 years ago I could have just driven or walked over. A small pizza was $ 1.25 at Luiggi’s when I left Lewiston. (Only place I know of that puts meat standard on a cheese pizza.)

blade: Shick Krona
razor: Carbon -
soap: Mike’s OCP
brush: AP synbad
bowl: Pereria
splash: Captain’s Choice Eucalyptus (mint)

Only shave to ever be interrupted by Alexa (needed to tell me again about the fire warning) - perhaps she could sense some ancient energy disturbance.

two pass head shave with clean up - super smooth and a music like sing. Blade double wrapped. No glue!

Were these destined for the US, Canadian or other market? If you know.

Thanks. Looking forward to trying in old Gillette razor.

Top Bottom