What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

Blade: Schick Super Stainless - blade #3 shave #2
Razor: Aristocrat 1948
Soap: Wm. Neumann & Co. Shaving Cream (Old Fashioned Soda)
Aftershave: Wm. Neumann & Co. (Old Fashioned Soda)
Brush: Made Rite Best Badger

Another close, comfortable, relaxing shave. Just what I expected from this excellent vintage blade.
IMG_2137.JPG

Question to all blade users: when I place it in my RR GC, it shaves very well, no issues. But when I want to remove the blade from the head, it is kind of stuck to the pins of the base plate of the RR. I reckon manufacturing specifications have changed slightly over the years, because I haven't had that happening to me (with the same razor) with modern blades. Can anyone tell me if they have the same experience?
I know a couple of us, but not all, had trouble with the blade fitting too tight in out Fatip slant razors. It fit great in my Gillette Slim (vintage - uses a bar instead of pins for blade alignment) and Merkur 20C (modern - uses pins). It could be that the punch on the line where your blade was made might have been a tinsy-winsy out from the other punches. Thankfully the hole tolerance issue doesn't affect the blade's shaving ability.

Question to all blade users: when I place it in my RR GC, it shaves very well, no issues. But when I want to remove the blade from the head, it is kind of stuck to the pins of the base plate of the RR. I reckon manufacturing specifications have changed slightly over the years, because I haven't had that happening to me (with the same razor) with modern blades. Can anyone tell me if they have the same experience?

Yes, I tested a couple of the Schick blades and they both get stuck on the pins of my RR GC .84-P's base plate. This occurs even with the blade that I altered by widening the cutout to get it to fit in my FOCS.

I've had other blades get stuck in the GC, too. I recall that the Astra SP and one of the old German-made blades (might have been the ELIOS) fit very tightly and required some prying to remove.

IMG_0281_1200x897.jpg

Thirty-fifth shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 (24mm Boar)
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Another outstanding shave from the Schick Super Stainless!

After an early morning workout (otherwise known as "mowing the lawn"), I had a very relaxing shower and shave. Today's brush/soap combo made it extremely easy to generate a superbly slick lather which helped the FOCS/Schick Super Stainless duo to glide over my skin as smooth as silk.

My three routine passes went by in a flash and, as usual, I required only a couple of buffing strokes to finish it off.

Another effortless BBS in the books! :thumbup1:

Schick Blade #2, Shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild on a SS handle
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Brush: Cheap no-name off of Amazon
Aftershave: AV Ice Blue

Another excellent shave. I'm digging the Palmolive Classic lately. It take a bit of water to get it right, but overall it just feels good. The Schick blade paired with the Henson AL13 is pretty much a shave on autopilot now.

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #22

Associated gear:

Fatip SB slant
Semogue 740 pure badger
Palmolive Classic shave cream

This morning's shave was effortless and drama free, just like yesterday. 3 passes, and a little buffing.
The end result was right on the DFS/BBS borderline.

One blade edge, 10 razors, 22 shaves and counting.
This is proving to be one of the most durable blades I've used.

An Old Friend Returns Schick Super Stainless Shave No.8

Razor: Gillette NEW SC
Brush: Chinese 'Lake Monster Hair' Brush
Soap: Palmolive Classic Cream
A/S: Boots Freshwood Balm (Sandalwood)
IMG_20220619_212606153.jpg

A very efficient shave today with the 30's SC. This razor is nicely efficient. I'm figuring out that the SC appears to be more angle-sensitive comfort-wise than the LC. I have a couple each of these examples to test. The SC appears to respond better to a more shallow angle. A steep angle with the SC, and you get much more tooth feel. The LC is more insensitive to angle, improving comfort and avoiding tooth drag.

In any case, you are pretty much guaranteed of a close shave with it. I do like how the Schick seems to be quite happy in whatever razor I run it in. This was no exception, the smoothness still very much a marked quality of the blade. Edge performance unimpared as far as I can feel.

A straightforward, efficient 3 passer leaving a BB /DFS++ result.

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#38
IMG_20220630_215831.jpg

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Schick(38)
Soap: ZM Explorer
Brush: RR Beehive Moka-soft

Finally reached my record breaking 38th shave with the Schick blade, from here on I am in uncharted territory. The Piccolo is delivering a very comfortable, close shave I also decided to use Explorer because to get the best results I need to use my slicker soaps.
After 3 passes and no buffing I was left with a DFS+ shave only let down by some roughness on my jawline and my neck was left rather smooth this time. I am looking forward to getting more shaves with this very impressive blade and see how far I can take it.

The Last Old Friend -- Blade 5, shave 5

Razor: Gillette Fatboy, maiden voyage (thank you @Chef455 !!)
Blade: vintage Schick
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Soap: Palmolive stick
IMG_20220630_201020920.jpg

After taking a little break, I could think of no more fitting way to finish out this blade than using it in a razor and soap from its era.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
The Last Old Friend -- Blade 5, shave 5

Razor: Gillette Fatboy, maiden voyage (thank you @Chef455 !!)
Blade: vintage Schick
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Soap: Palmolive stick
View attachment 1481040
After taking a little break, I could think of no more fitting way to finish out this blade than using it in a razor and soap from its era.
Hey, that razor looks really happy there!

Blade 2, shave 2 & 3 update.

This blade might have been damaged. Both shaves were with a fresh stick of Arko and a 50s SuperSpeed. One edge of the blade is definitely worse than the other. Its usable but unpleasant, although I have had other blades that were worse.

I will keep this blade going on the good edge for as long as I can.

Schick Krona coated blade two, Shave #5

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Shavemac beagle (fan)
Soap: Fine lavender pour homme
Splash: Fine lavender pour homme

Comment: Simply another very fine ’no-drama’ shave today! These blades are so comfortable!!

:a29::a29:

Schick Blade #2 Shave #13
Tools: Lupo Razor Cella Red & Plissoft brush.
Got a nice three pass shave with minor touch up here & there.
The Cella soap gave me good protection on each pass resulting in a DFS.:thumbup1:
As usual with the wolf Razor on Patrol no Nicks or Irritation were noted.

Schick Super Stainless Steel. Blade #1, Shave #23

Razor: Rockwell 6C R4
Brush: Frank badger
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Pre-shave: Proraso White
Soap: What The Puck Lime
Aftershave: Bootleggers Green Freeze followed by Citrus Musk

I increased from the R3 plate to the R4. I used too much water for the lather for the first pass but added more soap for the second and third passes. The end result was a comfortable DFS+. No danger at all in the end.

IMG_0282_1200x865.jpg

Thirty-sixth shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: The Shave Factory/Omega Pro 49 (27mm Unbleached Boar)
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

🇨🇦 Happy Canada Day!🇨🇦

So, it's a federal holiday and I'm not doing anything, today, except maybe sitting on the sundeck with a cold drink in my hand. I pondered whether to shave or not, but the primal lizard side of my brain kept screaming "Don't ruin your streak!" (This will be my 682nd consecutive shave with the FOCS)

So, into the bathroom I went... As expected, it was not a disappointment.

As usual, my three routine passes were completely trouble-free. Very quick and smooth, despite the number of uses that it has accrued. Buffing was again limited to just a few strokes, mainly along my left jawline. In the end, I managed another easy, relaxing BBS.

The durability of this Schick Super Stainless blade is astounding. I've never previously used a blade that has delivered so many excellent shaves, so consistently, for so long. I fully expect to enjoy the same result tomorrow. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom