What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

IMG_0267_1200x854.jpg

Twenty-first shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express (26mm Two-Band Badger)
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

Another super-smooth, comfortable shave. 😍

The FOCS/Schick Super Stainless provided excellent comfort, once again, as we head past the twenty-use mark. Frankly, the fact that this blade hasn't developed any negative qualities (i.e. tugging, roughness, etc.) is really quite mind-blowing. By now, most blades would be showing some signs of slowing down (or already be long dead), but the Schick Super Stainless is still performing as well as when it was new.

Perhaps the best feature is one that I've mentioned many times. That is, I barely have to buff to achieve a BBS. The efficiency of my three main passes has been so high that there's barely any stubble left to buff away. :thumbup1:

Attachments

• IMG_0267_1200x854.jpg
    IMG_0267_1200x854.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 0
LHS, chin WTG: Gillette Super Silver (1968) edge 1 shave 3 & 6/2
RHS, chin ATG: Schick Super Stainless edge 1 shave 3 & 6/2

Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor, Wilkinson Sword bowl soap, YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo.

Both blades are slowing down, one a little draggy, one a little less comfortable, but honestly both are still giving a better finish than many modern blades out the box. I thought the comparison would be fun, but the edges are outlasting my sense of adventure - it doesn't help that doing just half shaves mean they're lasting twice as long as they usually would.

Due to some work meetings I'm going to be changing my usual shaving pattern over the next half-week, so I'll put these down and continue with the GSB I have loaded in a tech. When I return I strongly suspect I'll end up starting the new edge on the Schick in a new razor, although I'm not committing to it right now. Maybe the break will convince me to try and put at least one of these blades to bed.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#24
IMG_20220616_120304.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Schick(24)
Soap: TFS RasoZero Agrumella
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3

Decided to give the Agrumella one more chance tonight, I changed to the T3 because it is one of my best performing brushes and if I want to pick up a lot of soap that is the synth to use.
The lather seemed good, it had a creamy consistency and went on to the face well. When I started the shave it seemed ok for the first pass, but by the second ATG pass I could feel that the slickness just wasn't there and I ended up with a weeper.
I have decided to not.use this soap with aggressive razors so I will have to settle on a slicker soap for the Schick blade, I may use the Emperor, but I think I will try a few more for now. It isn't the blade because it only happens with this soap.

I'm starting to think i may have to stop using the Schick (at least with my Fatip Grande).

For the past several shaves, I've been getting ingrown hairs with this blade. I've never gotten ingrown hairs before. Somehow, the combination of the Schick with the Grande is cutting my hair so closely (in some areas) that it's cutting below the skin. That's a heck of a trick!

I may have to bow out of this challenge. Thanks for giving me a chance to try this wonderfully sharp vintage blade!

Shave 4, blade 2
Two steps forward, one back

Not a comfortable shave today! Plenty of skipping and the resulting irritation and red dots. Once again with a rigid clamping razor, I can see lines across my face where it is skipping. No amount of light touch and short strokes would get me through. I took a day away from "old friend" yesterday and had a fantastic shave with a Voskhod which confirmed what I suspected about this blade; it's just not sharp enough for my whiskers. The new Voskhod just wiped the 1.5 days of hair off with almost no edge feel in my most aggressive razor. I don't prioritise blade longevity as many others do and the Voskhods don't last any longer than Feathers, which is fine by me!

17609C0C-8597-44B5-96F3-B196958E0FBF.jpeg

The edge has calmed down enough that this actually didn't go as bad as it could have. It wasn't a complete mistake to try it in this razor now, though I was going to do one more with the previous razor that was working well. I will continue my poor choices tomorrow with the Timeless, but I am getting tired of having my face chewed up. Unless the next shave surprises me in a positive way, I will move the blade to the barber razor.

Fri 17 Old Friend Returns Blade#1 Shave#5 - Love-hate relationship brewing...
Soap Signature Soaps Coria
Brush Yaqi 24mm Cavern Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor Fatip Grande OC
Blade Shick Super Stainless 5th Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Clubman Gents Gin
Epic lather from the soap...really over the top even with just a little...just to show how good it is...very slick too...
The shave with this razor paired with the blade was silky smooth, love it...but unexpected red spots again, hated it, after 3passes...hmmm...love-hate relationship brewing. The end result was awesome though...mostly bbs! The aftershaves were terrific but not so lasting.
20220617_101119.jpg

Blade: Schick Super Stainless - blade #2 shave #13
Razor: Fatboy
Soap: Williams Expert Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Williams Expert
Brush: Antica Barbieria Colla Boar

Another very nice shave. This blade has lost some sharpness after thirteen uses, but it's still cutting well and unlike many other blades that I have used in the past, it has been consistently smooth with every use.
IMG_2110.JPG

Shave 4, blade 2
Two steps forward, one back

Not a comfortable shave today! Plenty of skipping and the resulting irritation and red dots. Once again with a rigid clamping razor, I can see lines across my face where it is skipping. No amount of light touch and short strokes would get me through. I took a day away from "old friend" yesterday and had a fantastic shave with a Voskhod which confirmed what I suspected about this blade; it's just not sharp enough for my whiskers. The new Voskhod just wiped the 1.5 days of hair off with almost no edge feel in my most aggressive razor. I don't prioritise blade longevity as many others do and the Voskhods don't last any longer than Feathers, which is fine by me!

View attachment 1473508

The edge has calmed down enough that this actually didn't go as bad as it could have. It wasn't a complete mistake to try it in this razor now, though I was going to do one more with the previous razor that was working well. I will continue my poor choices tomorrow with the Timeless, but I am getting tired of having my face chewed up. Unless the next shave surprises me in a positive way, I will move the blade to the barber razor.
What is that black razor?

After some deliberation, I have decided to (re)PIF two of these blades. This is kind of bad timing for me so the mailing date will be either tomorrow or next Wednesday depending on how fast I get a reply. I am asking that only those who missed the mailing phase and feel left out to PM me. The only reason I am doing this, other than I am not getting along with them, is that they last forever! I image there will still be reports in September or later on this thread, too long for me to stay tuned in.

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #8
Associated gear:
Maggard 28mm SHD
Winning Razor
Haslingers Schaafmilch (Thanks, @Multum in parvo)

BBS with 2 passes & some buffing. Not a lot of blade feel from the Schick/Winning combo, and no nicks, weepers, or irritation. The Schick is still a winner after 8 shaves.

Edit: Forgot to hit "Post" yesterday, so this is a day late.

Vintage Schick (9)

The Schick + Blackbird is a wonderful combo. The blade still going strong and sharp.

I didn’t like this blade in the Gamechanger, feel the blade will bite you ATG. In the BB, the blade bend more and feel more secure. I think this blade is thinner, so more sharper.

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #9
Associated gear:
Restored Rubberset Synthetic
Henson AL-13
Haslingers Schaafmilch

BBS with 2 passes & some buffing, slightly less buffing than with the Winning. No nicks, weepers, or irritation. The Schick is still going strong after 9 shaves.

IMG_0268_1200x820.jpg

Twenty-second shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 (24mm Boar)
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap (Non-Tallow)

The FOCS/Schick Super Stainless duo is still at the top of its game.

This blade continues to perform as well as when it was new. It swept away my stubble with barely any effort and, as usual, I only needed a few buffing strokes to achieve another easy BBS.

I'm still surprised by how quickly and efficiently my shaves have gone while using the Schick Super Stainless. These last twenty-two shaves have probably been the best I've ever experienced. And that's saying something because I've used a lot of highly-regarded blades over the last 40 years! :thumbup1:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#25
IMG_20220616_120205.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Schick(25)
Soap: Zingari Man Explorer
Brush: RR Beehive Brush

Tonight I went for ZM Explorer for a bit of a lift, an excellent soap that shaves similar to SV and with a fantastic post shave feel.
The shave was excellent, smooth and close and although I had to do a clean up pass on my neck, which was a pleasure with this soap, I managed to get very close to a BBS.
The blade is back to delivering smooth close shaves again proving that my problems have been with the Agrumella soap and not the blade or razor.

Top Bottom