What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

Schick an old friend returns- blade 2, shave 12- TL;DR- shave passable, blade now retired

I decided to give the Schick one more go on two-days growth and it didn't quite get me a great shave, so I retired the blade and popped in an Astra SP for the last pass. I also tried a new razor the SCS-Model A, that arrived here yesterday, the same as the razor @Grundi recently received:

Shave recap: Saturday, June 18th, traveling shave #37, still enjoying Brooklyn. I again used Mogno with a scrubby Omega to see if I would get any skin reactions, but so far no problem- guess I'm fortunate. Today's shave with the vintage Schick was okay, maybe 8-/10, but not that close, so I did another pass with a fresh Astra SP and got the shave to DFS, 9/10:

Razor: Simple Clean Shave-Model A- new; I'll post a write up in an existing thread on this razor, but a nice bit of kit
Blade: Schick Super Stainless Steel vintage (12), Astra SP (1)
Lather: Mogno bar
Brush: Omega small boar
Post: rinse and a splash of Bull Dog ASB, for a comfy finish

Take care all and enjoy your weekend shaves!

PXL_20220618_144727608.jpg

IMG_0269_1200x892.jpg

Twenty-third shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Aqua (24mm Tuxedo)
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Another trouble-free outing with the Schick Super Stainless blade.

It's surprising how this blade can be so consistent and long-lasting. Day after day, I go through my usual routine: WTG pass, ATG pass, XTG pass, and buffing. Invariably, I'd notice a slow decline in performance, most often during the XTG and/or ATG passes, then have to decide whether to bin the blade or keep going. This process usually occurs within 6-7 shaves for me. At that point, I can tell if a blade is a dud or if it's an Excalibur candidate.

Well, I haven't had to make that decision with the Schick Super Stainless, yet, because it continues to provide extremely close, comfortable shaves with no obvious signs of dulling. It's really quite remarkable.

If I had a box of these, I'd probably be set for life! 😁

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #10
Associated gear:
Semogue SOC Boar
Henson AL-13
Haslingers Schaafmilch

The Schick may finally be starting to show its age. Shave #10 for this edge was right on the borderline between BBS and DFS. The previous shaves were straight BBS, so I'm wondering....
I'll switch to a different razor for tomorrow's shave and see what happens. Maybe I'm wrong. Or it might be time to work the other edge of the blade.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#26
IMG_20220618_130343_1.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Schick(26)
Soap: SV Desert Vetiver
Brush: Yaqi Black Ferrari

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of Desert Vetiver and I hoped for a good close shave for today. The soap did not disappoint, although this is my least favourite scent of the 3 SV soaps I possess it is growing on me. The post shave is the best of the 3 making it well worth it.
The shave was incredibly close and just felt easy, no fuss, no drama. When I was finished I had a BBS, yes that's right a BBS on the 26th shave with the Schick blade. I was wondering if I would get to 30 shaves and now I think it is more likely than ever. If it keeps this up I could still be using it at Christmas, blades don't generally break 30 for me but I have a feeling this one might.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Blade 1, Shave 8

Well, I am home for a day, so back to blade one. This 8th shave was super smooth and comfortable. But it was not sharp. The results were sub par. Barely scraping into DFS territory. I think these blades are great. The smoothness and comfort are top notch. And this one has lasted more than twice my standard for blade life. So its a win for sure! However, i cant see me getting 30 some odd shaves from one of these. And that is okay!

I am headed back out on the road tomorrow. Blade number two is currently residing in my travel kit with four shaves under its belt. But that blade is taking a beating on the road. So I am not sure how many more shaves I can squeeze out of that one. But I will try!

Happy Fathers Day to all who celebrate!

2022-06-19 08.57.17.jpg

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #11
Associated gear:
Restored mixed Badger/Boar brush
Gillette Fatboy on #5
Haslingers Schaafmilch

I'm not quite sure what my issue was yesterday, but today's shave showed that the Schick is still going strong. Today's shave was back to BBS after three passes and a little buffing on #6. As usual, no weepers, nicks, or post-shave irritation. Great blade.

IMG_0270_1190x900.jpg

Twenty-fourth shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: The Shave Factory/Omega Professional 49 (27mm Unbleached Boar)
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick (Tallow)

Happy Father's Day!

For this unofficial holiday devoted to Dads, I decided that I was going to sit on my butt and do nothing all day! To get things started, I used up all the hot water for a relaxing shower and to prepare for my shave.

And what a shave it was! This remarkable blade shows no sign of slowing down, at all. My three usual passes were extremely smooth and comfortable, yet again. The XTG pass, which is where I have the most trouble, went by in the blink of an eye. Buffing was almost unnecessary; just a couple of strokes along my jawline and I enjoyed another nearly effortless BBS.

Now, the rest of my busy day begins! Let's see... first, the Yankees vs. Blue Jays game, followed by lunch, then U.S. Open golf, then... 😁

SOTD Schick Blade #2 Shave #5

Razor: Blackbird Ti
Blade: Schick Super Stainless (5)
Soap: Fine Barber Blue
Brush: Simpson M7 Super
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper
AS: Fine Barber Blue
25E9B4BA-F7AC-4C63-8AB7-8BA01DECD9EF.jpeg

And we’re back! 9.5/10
Took a couple shaves away from this blade to test out my newest razor. For this shave I took the vintage Schick with 4 shaves on it out of my
Timeless and threw it in the Blackbird Ti!

On the first blade shave 5 is when I began to experience a decline and despite a different razor the same was true today. I experienced some tugging in a few areas ATG sharpness is waning. Overall the blade is still smooth it just requires a bit of work to reach DFS which I did today.

Going to shave with this blade at least one more time maybe two. More excited to put a fresh Schick into this razor next week and see how far we get. 6 shaves is my record with this blade, with a modern blade never going more than four shaves.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns Shave#27
IMG_20220619_122208.jpg

Blade: Schick(27)
Soap: Edwin Jagger Limes & Pomegranate
Brush: Omega Professional Boar

Tonight I decided to try out another soap on my 3017 list EJ Limes & Pomegranate and I was pleasantly surprised. It performed much better than the TFS RasoZero Agrumella. I have never really got on with this soap, I found the lather a bit finicky with the water content. I did find the lathers for the first 2 passes a little dry, but by the final pass I had it dialled in and I think the boar brush was an improvement over the synthetics I have used with it previously.
The finish was a near BBS again with my neck letting me down, but I am working on a new method of shaving my neck to improve this. I think I will quit the Agrumella for now and swap to the EJ.

An old friend returns shave#22
View attachment 1472363
Blade: Schick(22)
Soap: RR Emporer
Brush: RR Beehive brush

Tonight after Sundays disappointing result with TFS RasoZero Agrumella I decided to use a different soap for the remainder of the Schick blade test so I picked out RR Emporer. It is on my 3017 list because despite having it nearly a year I can't have used it more than a handful of times, it performs like my other RR soaps, but I don't think much of the scent. I am hoping to use it for All Adventus August, if @JAHE announces it this year.
Sorry for the late reply.
Sure, we'll do another round of All Aventus August. I'll open the thread next month 😀

An Old Friend Returns Schick Super Stainless Shave No. 3

Razor: Gillette NEW SC
Soap: Palmolive Shaving Cream
Brush: Unbranded Vintage Copy, A Fine Brush
IMG_20220619_212520070.jpg

Sorry for the absence Gentlemen, I must blame a lack of time to post decent quality reports.

My last shave with the Schick was a little over-ambitious, using an untested razor on it's first outing. The result was acceptable, but there was a lot of weepers on upper lip. This was user error, compounded by the usual tendency to over-shave that I am afflicted with. So I thought I would let the Schick rest for a while.

I teamed it tonight with a razor that I am getting to like very much, the NEW Short Comb. A big hat-tip to the great Gent and colleague @GNR who by their thoughtfulness, have enabled me to try both the SC and LC, a subject for another thread.

A very efficient 3 passer on a 3 day growth gave an excellent result. The blade seemer sharper than last time out, and a very 'X' Blade like smoothness was increasingly noticeable. Hopefully this resemblance will grow further with use.

The blade made a very good pairing with this razor. A very efficient and uneventful shave, in a good way.

A BB result which should last well into the morning.

Shave 5, blade 2
Push me Pull you

This evening's shave was a game of give and take; give points for positives only to subtract points for negatives. It was a lovely shave, but wasn't entirely comfortable. I didn't get irritation from chatter, but I got nicked in new places! I did my normal two pass shave for efficient razors. Overall it was a DFS+ which is pretty amazing considering my last shave and the fact that the blade is fading.

The Timeless 95 with a steep angle was the right formula for this blade, but I am not sure I want to try it with a fresh one. There was visible pulling, but it wasn't uncomfortable. The steep angle seems to keep the blade from irritating my skin and there wasn't much chatter. Everything came together on my end as well as I had hoped, but the blade still has a bad attitude. At least I didn't feel anything... until I applied aftershave. I am grudgingly keeping the blade in the Timeless, but I am switching razors at the slightest hint of trouble. I look forward to trying this combo with blade three at around shave three.

Mon 20 Old Friend Returns Blade#1 Shave#6 - Finally, perfect!
Soap Proraso Green
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor RazoRock G37 Slant
Blade Shick Super Stainless 6th Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Proraso Green Splash
Wonderful soap! Lovely scent & cooling with the lather, just super and slick...beautiful!! It was whip-up easily by the very nice brush...
Today the razor paired with this blade finally achieved perfection. 3 silky smooth passes without any issues for a bbs finish. Awesome blade for sure, incredibly smooth & keen...loving it! The aftershaves were terrific...wish it could last longer!
20220620_114150.jpg

Schick blade #1, shave #3

I have had some rough shaves with a RR Hawk alu v2 combined with a Schick Proline P blade the last 3 days, so today was time to "take it easy" on the skin. And that worked wonderfully with my R89 (left in photo) paired with the Schick blade and some MdC Nature soap. Wrapped up with some Fresh Up As and some Balea Sensitive ASB and I am ready to go. Lovely.

full

Top Bottom