What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

IMG_5964.JPG

UK London Bridge Blade #2 Shave #3

I had contractors coming to the house this morning, so I needed to clear out quickly. So, I went for another one-pass shave with my Tech and the UK LB blade. It was smooth and comfy and good enough for the cotton mill. The Tech and that blade are an excellent match comfort-wise.

Chinese-made London Bridge #2, shave #1

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Chinese-made London Bridge (orange wrapper) (1)
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Old Spice followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

This blade is definitely my least favorite of the three. I'm going back through them as part of the PIF challenge, and it just seems less sharp than the other two. Therefore, I didn't get as close of a shave. Therefore, I did more buffing. Therefore, I ended up with some irritation.

Blade: Light Brigade (UK)
Razor: Blackland Era Level 2
Mug: Green Rubber Marvy
Soap: Vintage Williams (AKA "Old Willie")
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Today's shave was very smooth in process. The end result was a smooth, comfortable & drama free shave; right on the border between DFS and BBS with no effort. Since I was using the Level 2 plate instead of the Level 4, I was a little surprised by this.

English London Bridge edge 4 shave 2

Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky'; Palmolive stick; Frank shaving 20mm best badger

Blade and razor were in harmony again, but a too-dry brush left insufficient lubrication. This in turn led to additional buffing which unfortunately led to a weeper.

I don't know why I change my soaps around on these challenges. At any other time I use the same soap for a week at a time so I can dial it in (except when I'm using my DS cosmetics brush which always gets Cella because it's red). Again, any faults can be firmly pinned on user error.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1167.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week six and second shave with my second go with the Vintage Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade Chromium blade. No blood today, I did finish up with a couple of red patches and a little sting when I applied my Alum Block. My face still felt slightly raw when I was showering after my shave but overall it was better than yesterday’s disaster. I would place today’s skirmish with the Light Brigade as a draw.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1186.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week six and shave number three on my second attempt with the Vintage Wilkinson Sword The Light Brigade Chromium blade. I thought that this morning’s shave went reasonably well. I did have some sting when I applied my Alum Block but I thought nothing of it. After my shower I went to clean my teeth and then noticed two decent nicks that were still bleeding under my jaw. I was taken aback as I didn’t even notice that nicks after I finished shaving. Anyway I hope that all is well in the morning as I don’t want any more surprises.

Orange wrapper #17(?)
1.65 TI WR2
B&M Melange
These are the times I have a love/hate with the generosity of @Grundi and others for these awesome blade shares. I’m still using my first blade of the bunch. It still works, maybe a bit more work or a bit less smooth, but nothing terrible. I can’t toss a blade that still gives fine shaves, that would be wasteful. Pretty sure I’ll get to a different blade soon. As always thanks for doing these and allowing me to continue to participate.

Orange wrapper #17(?)
1.65 TI WR2
B&M Melange
These are the times I have a love/hate with the generosity of @Grundi and others for these awesome blade shares. I’m still using my first blade of the bunch. It still works, maybe a bit more work or a bit less smooth, but nothing terrible. I can’t toss a blade that still gives fine shaves, that would be wasteful. Pretty sure I’ll get to a different blade soon. As always thanks for doing these and allowing me to continue to participate.
I'm with on this; I can't toss a blade either when it's still giving good shaves. If there was any downside to this amazing wet shaving adventure, it would be that there are so many wonderful blades, razors, soaps, creams, bowls, brushes, and other stuff waiting to try, and I only shave once per day.

Chinese-made London Bridge #2, shave #2

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: Chinese-made London Bridge (orange wrapper) (2)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Brush: No-name badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

A good shave today with this blade. It's still not my favorite among the 3, but it was better today. Again, because it's less sharp than the other two, I find that it doesn't cut as close so I was very intentional not to go for BBS, but just to put in my passes and call it a day and it's certainly an acceptable result, if not BBS. I can use most any blade so I'll definitely get 4 shaves out of it, but it's not one that I would purchase 100-pack of.

English London Bridge edge 4 shave 3

Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky'; Captain's Choice Lime cream; Omega S-brush knot in homemade handle; Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl

A suberb lather this morning, which made for a nice contrast with the last shave - any problems could be pinned on blade, razor, or user.

There was no irritation, no real problems, but a slight rawness to the shave. Additionally, while I could claim a CCS (close, comfortable shave), it was no DFS let alone a BBS. Time to retire this blade.

17/4/24

IMG20240417183017.jpg

3rd shave with the Light Brigade and it is gloriously smooth. Absolutely no resistance or irritation for the 2nd XTG pass, ditto when I put the splash on.

I wish I could have bought more of them before the ban on selling blades on eBay in the UK!

Top Bottom