What's new

Overlander Upshot/Oversight

while I have no doubt Overlander is a very capable shaver, the handle never
really grabbed me—but I can get past that.

What I just cant get past is that finish...it is matter than matt

I rarely use any razor with it's stock handle. While the handles of my Blackbird and Barbaros Kalyon are not bad by any means, I enjoy my inexpensive MR1 handle from Maggard way more than anything else I've used so far. I even use it with my vintage razors like my NEW, New Improved, Techs etc. And just like you, I doubt that I'm ever going to use the Overlander handle and I also don't think I would use the handle of Lambda Athena. It looks great, but it doesn't seem very practical to me and my style of shaving.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
while I have no doubt Overlander is a very capable shaver, the handle never
really grabbed me—but I can get past that.

What I just cant get past is that finish...it is matter than matt
If I ended up with an Overlander, I think it would end up being my first shiny 24K gold plated razor. <eg>

I rarely use any razor with it's stock handle. While the handles of my Blackbird and Barbaros Kalyon are not bad by any means, I enjoy my inexpensive MR1 handle from Maggard way more than anything else I've used so far. I even use it with my vintage razors like my NEW, New Improved, Techs etc. And just like you, I doubt that I'm ever going to use the Overlander handle and I also don't think I would use the handle of Lambda Athena. It looks great, but it doesn't seem very practical to me and my style of shaving.

was under the impression that the Karve stock handle tread is #10-32.
so the standard M5 x 0.8 handles don't exactly screw on perfect.

happy to be corrected

I had no idea. If that's true, then I might have a problem.
Whenever I’ve tried to put another handle on my Overlander it doesn’t fit - I can only screw it on part way. You can of course use other Karve handles if you like any of those. I don’t know if there are other razor brands that would fit but probably the best alternative is to order a custom handle with the right fit from one of the independent razor handle makers.

Personally, I never particularly gelled with the looks of the Overlander and it was a while before I succumbed to buying one. It’s just that when I shave with it it’s so good every time that I do not mind how it looks. I do feel it looks a bit better in hand than in photos, but it’s the shaving performance that makes it a favourite, not the looks.

I just watched a couple of old videos made by wetshavers and some claim that the Overlander has some drag feel to it. Could that be, because of the unpolished brass or something else?

I just watched a couple of old videos made by wetshavers and some claim that the Overlander has some drag feel to it. Could that be, because of the unpolished brass or something else?
Could be. I haven’t noticed drag but I’ve seen a few people comment about it and some say polishing the cap made a difference. You’ll see a bunch of B&B members have had their Overlanders polished or plated, and I’m sure if you search you’ll find some comments about the results. I’m not planning to do anything with mine; it’s fine for me as it is. If it doesn’t glide quite as easily as other razors then it’s not enough to be noticeable for me.

One of the YouTube guys who first talked about this was Ken (Shave326) but he also regularly uses the Overlander to this day and I’ve often noticed comments by him in the chat below his other razor reviews that the Overlander outperforms whatever he is reviewing, so I get the impression that it is a benchmark razor for him, drag or not.

Anyway, I’m sure you can find comments in Overlander threads here about it, to see how different owners perceive it.

Top Bottom