What's new

Omega 21762 "Italian Flag" and R&B LE, Are They REALLY The Same Brush?

How do you like Zenith A28 or A26 (aluminum handle) compared to Omega 21762, Omega 48, Omega 49 or Proraso? Which one would you buy?

I don't have a Proraso, but I know it is made by Omega so it would be similar to Omega boars. I have a Zenith Aluminum, just unsure of the model number. In terms of the hair, they are all excellent. I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other. The Omega 48, 49 and the Proraso offer a better cost per dollar, but I will admit I do very much like the increased weight and quality of the Zenith and Omega 21762 handles and feel the added cost for those models is well worth it, but can't knock the others in terms of their performance by any means. There really isn't an instance of one brush being definitively better than another, it really comes down to your preferences that will determine what the best brush is for you. All brushes can get you to the endgame of producing lather, but when you use a brush that fits in to your preferences it sure makes a difference. What you want can change over time, too. I've gone from using small brushes to much larger brushes over time, but occasionally I'll have a desire to use a smaller brush, so I just keep my smaller brushes for when the mood hits me. I won't be surprised at all if I shift back to using smaller brushes for a time, and then go back to larger brushes.

Thank you Sir!
I am particularly interested if the Omega 21762 is above Zenith in terms of knot quality. I have already purchased Zenith A28, A26, Omega 10049, Omega 10098 , Proraso by Omega and DSCosmetic boar brush 26 /50 mm . Is the Omega 21762 italian flag more expensive just because of the beautiful handle or does it have a boar hair of an extraordinary quality that would justify the price 5 times higher than an Omega 10049 or a Zenith A26?

Thank you Sir!
I am particularly interested if the Omega 21762 is above Zenith in terms of knot quality. I have already purchased Zenith A28, A26, Omega 10049, Omega 10098 , Proraso by Omega and DSCosmetic boar brush 26 /50 mm . Is the Omega 21762 italian flag more expensive just because of the beautiful handle or does it have a boar hair of an extraordinary quality that would justify the price 5 times higher than an Omega 10049 or a Zenith A26?
It has a turned resin handle in contrast to the much lighter hollow ABS plastic handles such like the 10049, 48 etc.

A little background: I was looking for a nice premium boar to round out the rotation and learned of the Omega R&B which, from what research I did, has been described as "very plush" and "like a premium silvertip brush in feel", and has whiter and finer bristles than a regular 48.

The 21762 aka "Italian Flag" aka "48 Tricolore" is said to be the same brush so I bit the bullet and got one.

View attachment 1180327

The brush has impressed me in it's first week- already as soft as or softer than my Proraso Pro right out of the box, which has been in use for months, great flow-through and lather capacity, which duh, has to be expected of a barber brush. However, it's still not as soft as the banded Omegas, and the scritch is on par with a regular Omega, plus the bristles are hardly any whiter like in pictures or videos of the R&B.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very fine brush that I'm happy to own and use, but is the knot actually different from the original R&B version and have I fallen victim to misinformed reviewers who own one or the other and assume they're the same? I don't own a 48/49 to compare so I can't tell if it uses a regular 48/49 knot.

Would love to hear actual firsthand, unbiased experience from people who own either with a 48/49, and can compare both. I may have already did the purchase, but it would serve as decent information for future potential purchasers.
Perhaps just a bit off-topic, so don't hold it against me.

I have the Proraso Pro, made by Omega just like you do and the very reason I LOVE that brush is its "roughness". It picks up both hard and soft soap magically and it provides that scratchy, scrubbing feel on my face when face-lathering, which I really like. It's almost like exfoliating the face before the shave.

OTOH, when I want the ultra soft, I reach for my silvertip badger.

I'm kind of trying to say, if you are after a smooth/soft brush, why bother with boar in the first place...?

Thank you # Multum in parvo. I know it has a very nice and quality handle but it also has a better knoth than Zenith A28? Not the handle touches my face! Only the handle, can justify the higher price than the Zenith A28 which has an aluminum handle?

Last edited:
Thank you Sir!

Trying to answer these questions is such a loaded gun. In terms of the Omega 21762 having a hair quality unlike those options I would say no but with a reservation. While the Zenith I have is softer, I think in the long run as I really break it in the extra hair tip fineness will work against it for my preferences. I like the backbone a boar has, and expect a bit more exfoliation from it. Because of the hair fineness Zenith and other makers with a similar fineness doesn’t have good backbone as say Omega typically does. The tips usually have more thickness too. As a brush lover, I can’t deny the niceness of variety, and am naturally curious about the differences. Knot construction, knot size, lofts and so many other variables can make a difference. My Semogue 2000 is more used than my Zenith of whatever model, and I wouldn’t mind if the base had more backbone, but the fan construction of it is unique as most boars are bulb shaped and believe it was my first boar and quite sentimental to me.

If by brush quality if you are referring to is the Omega 21762 finer in quality to the Zenith I would say no. Even though I have only one Zenith, I have seen many photographs of Zenith boars and they look consistent with mine. I have many Omegas and the RGB comes the closest. I might have the model wrong. I think overall though I will prefer the 21762 more when I break it in more for reasons stated above, and think in those terms it will be better for my preferences. Honestly, my preferences change quite frequently and there’re days where the qualities of the Zenith are better for my tastes that day than my 21762. I hope that makes sense. I try to base my recommendations of what the individual wants and to not get caught up in my likes or dislikes. That can be exceptionally hard to do for those that don’t have a lot of brush experience.

I don’t think you can compare the bristle „quality“ across brands. You might glimpse certain brand specific characteristics if you have enough samples.

My softest boars right of the box are from Semogue they also have the least backbone. Between Zenith and Omega I don’t feel that much difference at all. That being said my softest boar is the Omega 20102 sometimes referred here as Badger Killer. Does this mean the Zenith can’t be as soft as the Omega? No, it might simply take longer to break in as the Omega which if have used considerably longer.

Top Bottom