What's new

Old Type Appreciation Thread

Can anyone post some links or point me in the direction of Old Type history ?
I know there is a variety of different ones, ones made before and after 1921
and what that means. 102 and102A designations, what do those stand for... ?

Thx. all

I love my Olds for the history, but I am still learning how to tame them. FOr me, it seems like the teeth just cause irritatio no matter what angle I use.

Here are a couple of photos of my 1911 Single Ring that I scored on eBay for $15.22. Seller said he found in a barrel of scrap metal that had been kept outside in harsh Massachusetts winters for 50+ years.

$SR1.jpg$SR2.jpg$SR6.jpg$SR7.jpg

Newish to DE shaving, but not wet shaving having never owned/used an electric in 30+ years of shaving, and have been using a Fatboy on 6-7. I recently acquired an old OC, ball end, and have been enjoying it for the passed few days. The first time I used it, it bit me but after the maiden voyage I have tamed it and have been enjoying very close shaves with an Astra SP blade. Looking to pick up a new OC so I can compare between the two.

I have two old types. They are great daily shavers. One has a handle from a tech as the original handle has cracks to and bottom. $uploadfromtaptalk1399478245049.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1399478294032.jpg

I've several Gillettes. Here are the two that get the most use.

French Market Single Ring, you can see the telltale "G in D" mark in close up. This razor does the lion's share of work.

$Frenchie.jpg

The second is my Grandfather's Ball End. A very aggressive razor, two quick passes and you're done.

$GrandpasOldType.jpg

I love my Olds for the history, but I am still learning how to tame them. FOr me, it seems like the teeth just cause irritatio no matter what angle I use.

Here are a couple of photos of my 1911 Single Ring that I scored on eBay for $15.22. Seller said he found in a barrel of scrap metal that had been kept outside in harsh Massachusetts winters for 50+ years.

View attachment 445224View attachment 445225View attachment 445226View attachment 445227

That is the most remarkable cleanup I have seen. Congratulations on a great find.

Cheers, George

Can I join your club?

$old type.JPG

I just had a very nice 3 pass with this instrument. I found it at an antique mall a couple of months ago and it followed me home.

My wife actually likes this one. This was priced at a whopping $6!! Back then. Geeze that's a lot of money. Why? That's mystery.

Attachments

• $IMG_20140406_191222_629.jpg
    $IMG_20140406_191222_629.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 111
I had two old types, but I traded one for a #66 British Aristrocrat. My old type is one of my best razors. Here is a photo of him with a Ball end handle from a tech.
$20140506_202208.jpg

How the heck did y'all clean those up? I got five new razors from GrandpaRon today, and I've been trying to date them and am curious how to clean them.

Second question: does Old Type just refer to the head? I believe so, but am curious. I have a Milady I'm dead sure is a 1918 model, but it is serial numbered with a S/N from the 1921 S/Ns (PXXXXX).

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to get them cleaned up soon and start the whisker whacker process.

How the heck did y'all clean those up? I got five new razors from GrandpaRon today, and I've been trying to date them and am curious how to clean them.

Second question: does Old Type just refer to the head? I believe so, but am curious. I have a Milady I'm dead sure is a 1918 model, but it is serial numbered with a S/N from the 1921 S/Ns (PXXXXX).

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to get them cleaned up soon and start the whisker whacker process.

How to clean:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ck-Photo-Tutorial-for-Restoring-Silver-Razors

How to date:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

Old Type
Milady Decolletee

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1918 Milady Decolletee.jpg

Yes, as long as it has an Old Type head, it is an Old Type.

Forgot to say ... that method works on silver. If they are not silver plated, usually hot soapy water and an old toothbrush do the trick.

Boom. Less than 5 minutes all questions were answered. Nuclearblast: you da man.:a14:

So now for the bigger question: The Milady looks exactly like what you have pictured-exactly (in fact I used that website to date it). However, I'm wondering why the guard has a S/N. Maybe a mix and match guard? It has S/N P46537. It looks like an Old Type head, but my understanding is they aren't S/N-ed. Especially if my Milady is a 1918 model?

So confused. This vintage razor stuff is exhilarating, but confusing.:a52:

Last edited:
Top Bottom