What's new

Old Type Appreciation Thread

Anyone else in the forums who uses a Gillette Old Type as their go to razor?
If so tell us your tale and post pics of your razor!

I use my Old Type 9/10ths of the time and really prefer it to the other open combs I have tried.

Here is a photo of it in the Frankenrazor Mystery Handle state in which I bought it
proxy.php

And in it's current Bull Mastiff state of being.
proxy.php

Show us your OT's.
Wp

I will get a picture of mine soon, but I usually get butchered whenever I use it. I still rotate through it though. I try to give it a chance.

Wait, I do have pictures, just not very good ones!

Here it is in as-acquired condition and after a little elbow grease

It does have a serial number. I dated it once, but I don't remember the details.

There's still a few spots where it is still black and especially in the handle grooves. I just can't seem to get those clean.

Hellz yeah I love my old type!!! In fact I am going to use it tomorrow morning...

1917-1921 Canadian Gillette old type with smooth-ball handle. (all original)
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the Old Type is my go to razor. Love them all. I need some new pics, most of you know I have several Old Types (somewhere near two dozen I'd guess). There are the Double Rings, Single Rings, 1 Bulldog, 2 Big Fellows, 3 ABC's and several assorted ball end pockets (several of these still need to be cleaned up!).

It does have a serial number. I dated it once, but I don't remember the details.

There's still a few spots where it is still black and especially in the handle grooves. I just can't seem to get those clean.

Have you tried the baking soda/aluminum foil process? (See my signature for information if you are not familiar).

If that doesn't do it, I'd try some mild silver polish and a toothpick or tooth brush to get in the grooves.

Have you tried the baking soda/aluminum foil process? (See my signature for information if you are not familiar).

If that doesn't do it, I'd try some mild silver polish and a toothpick or tooth brush to get in the grooves.

No, in fact I just heard about it last week, but I hadn't seen the details until now. I will definitely give it a try!

Well, here are my Pocket Edition and Single Ring. Not enough experience yet to give them a definite ranking in my razor hierarchy, but I like having them. I'm a bit of a copycat for including the Old Spice mug.:001_rolle

Just recently got one that seems like it was unused. I like it a lot, it shaves as well as my more "experienced" examples.

I still have no understanding of how the New Improved and the NEW are improvements at all :confused1
I just cannot see how they are better than the OT.
Wp

Wait, I do have pictures, just not very good ones!

Here it is in as-acquired condition and after a little elbow grease

I have just that one, but no markings, numbers or whatever. It is my go-to razor. So far no other razor I have tried shaves closer, or more smooth.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, a NDC old type with Iridium blade is my (mostly) everyday shaver. I seem to get the best, closest shaves with that.

Didn't notice until after I took the pic. that there was still a little polishing compound between a couple of the teeth...it washed right out. At $4.50 it cost only a little bit more that ONE cartridge blade.

The Gillette "Old Type" is my closest shaving DE razor. It is also the most unforgiving razor that I own and that includes the OC Micromatic.

It is the one DE razor that rivals quality of SE shaving, although I still find SE shaving superior. The "Old Type" requires a light touch and attention to detail but rewards with a outstanding shave.

DD

The Gillette "Old Type" is my closest shaving DE razor. It is also the most unforgiving razor that I own and that includes the OC Micromatic.

It is the one DE razor that rivals quality of SE shaving, although I still find SE shaving superior. The "Old Type" requires a light touch and attention to detail but rewards with a outstanding shave.

DD

I have yet to try a SE though I own a Gem razor but I can testify that I have tried no other DE that shaves as close as my Old Type loaded with a good Astra SP or Super Thin. Something about the head design just seems to allow it to get down low on your whiskers and leave you smooth as silk after a couple passes.
Wp

Top Bottom