What's new

Old Type Appreciation Thread

2 (a gold and a nickel) in the mail from the 'Bay...can't wait to give them a try. One question...do the Old Type Ball End handles have the same cracking problem that the News do? Unless the seller hid it, the handles seem intact.

Nothing I own shaves better than this razor.
proxy.php
[/IMG]
proxy.php
[/IMG]
proxy.php
[/IMG]

2 (a gold and a nickel) in the mail from the 'Bay...can't wait to give them a try. One question...do the Old Type Ball End handles have the same cracking problem that the News do? Unless the seller hid it, the handles seem intact.
They sure do...unfortunately :sad:
I ended up setting mine up by filling with epoxy and tying 'em up while drying... plus it give it a nice little extra heft that I enjoy (I like my handles on the heavier side)

proxy.php

abc silver Shell case & abc silver Scroll razor w/ mystery "made in Germany" old style type head.

proxy.php

abc gold flower set (razor # D722362)

proxy.php

Silver Shell Gillette pocket set razor (# G347105)

I love my old type I got recently of the 'bay.

Didn't look too impressive on the auction photo:

proxy.php

It cleaned up rather nicely though;

proxy.php

As a newbie here, can anyone tell me the difference between an old type with tube handle and a single ring? They look the same to me in photos.

Last edited:
I love my old type I got recently of the 'bay.

Didn't look too impressive on the auction photo:

proxy.php

It cleaned up rather nicely though;

proxy.php

As a newbie here, can anyone tell me the difference between an old type with tube handle and a single ring? They look the same to me in photos.

Very nice catch... As far as the difference, It is mostly age and finish.
The single/double rings are older and usually silver plated whereas the old types are usually of the nickel variety.

I just got my Single Ring this week and have only shaved with it once, I can say I was impressed with it and how well it shaved. It isn't as pretty as the ones that have been posted, it has some serious brassing on the nob and a bent tooth, but I love it all the same:thumbup:

Quick Old type question, I have a Single Ring, silver plated, and just found a Canadian Ball End. The Ball End has a silver plated handle and what appears to be a nickel plated head. Is this common or did some one swap handles over time?

The Single Ring and Ball End side by side from the bottom so you can see the difference in the shine of the plating.
proxy.php

the head of the Ball End had zero tarnish while the handle was tarnished

proxy.php

I just got mine and have only had 2 shaves with it, but I already know it's going to be my daily-use razor. I really like the way it feels and shaves. It's a 1918 model stamped "Property U.S. Army."

proxy.php

The only DE razor I use is the Old Type.

I've several single rings, and one Ball End. The ball end is from the late 1920s, easily the most DE aggressive razor I've used.

Top Bottom