What's new

Old Spice in honor of my grandfather

After 87 years, we laid my grandfather to rest yesterday. He played in the Illinois state basketball championship in high school, played against and beat the Harlem Globetrotters, was a WWII veteran, retired Illinois State Trooper injured in the line of duty, and a great storyteller.

He hadn't worn it in a while, but I always remember him smelling like Old Spice. Even though the formula is a little different, I picked up some Vijon at Family Dollar and splashed it on this morning. Smells like him. Looks like I'll be wearing this one for a while. Hope the wife likes it.

I am very sorry to hear of your Grandfather's passing. Old Spice is a great scent. My Dad wore it in his working years. I wear it quite often myself. My wife loves the scent as well. When I was younger I would get a bottle every Christmas , Often in a special decanter like the telescope.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, I use my Old spice and enjoy thinking of my Dad as well.

My condolences, my dad will be gone 2 years this December.

I use Old Spice, I got a glass bottle of some original and it is a fair bit different than today's formula...I find I like it a great deal more...wish they would go back to the old formula haha.

Prayers for you and your family in your grandfather's passing. OS is one of the few I use, my dad still uses it and I am hoping my son will when he starts shaving as well.

Very sorry to hear this - please accept my condolences. I will be using some of my vintage Old Spice with this evening's shave in his honor.

Thanks all. He was in a lot of pain the last few years from the Trooper injury (drunk plowed into his squad car breaking bones and making him swallow part of his cigar) so he's definitely in a better place. Just miss him.

My condolences on your loss and thank you for sharing your warm memories and your remembrance gesture. I have a bottle of my grandfather's Lilac Vegetal that was unopened from the 70's. I use it now and think of him when I do.

I am mid-50's so I remember Old Spice on my dad's dresser and it was one of the first aftershaves I used. I picked up some of that Dollar Store Vijon Spice and recently Old Spice Classic. I actually mixed the two (I think I am some sort of AS mad scientist). I think someone here on the forum dubbed this mixture as "Old School Spice". I will remember to use it tomorrow in honor of your grandfather.

P.S. I am a game warden here in Wyoming and am proud to have served with several State Troopers. May God bless all those who keep our highways and backroads safe!

Sorry for your loss. My dad died about five and a half years ago, and I inherited his large stash of OS. My sons and I wear it often in honor of him.

I feel for you and your loss. Not many days go by when I don't think of my grandpa. He wore the OS and gave me a bottle many a Christmas. I still wear it regularly and found the the "Old Spice Mondays" thread which just keeps those good memories going. We are very lucky to have had these men in our lives and the stories and traditions to cherish. God bless...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Sorry for your loss.
My farther used it daily. I picked up some old spice a few months ago for the first time. It was not planed but turned out to be his birthday.

My condolences to you and your family. It is amazing how a smell can take you right back isnt it.
I have to share this. I recently purchased a lot in the BST section here and included were 2 Old Spice Bottles, one after shave, one cologne. While they were both empty i opend the stopper and smelled the cologne bottle and the smell instantly brought back memories of my grandfather. Put quite the smile on my face. I have to say that moment was worth the price of the entire lot.

My condolences to you and your family. It is amazing how a smell can take you right back isnt it.
I have to share this. I recently purchased a lot in the BST section here and included were 2 Old Spice Bottles, one after shave, one cologne. While they were both empty i opend the stopper and smelled the cologne bottle and the smell instantly brought back memories of my grandfather. Put quite the smile on my face. I have to say that moment was worth the price of the entire lot.

It is funny. He hadn't worn it much the past few years and as soon as I popped the top on the Vi-Jon it immediately took me back to being a kid staying the night at their house. Awesome.

My grandfather wore old spice, used a shave brush, and used to tease my twin brother and i that we didnt need to shave... We needed a cat to lick off our peach fuzz...

My condolences for your loss; thank you for sharing though... Made me think about my grandfather and what an extrodinary individual he was.... He was a part of that WW II generation (born in 1916)... And he truly was one of the best of THAT generation! I miss him greatly and smile when i think about him today instead of Being sad. Thanks again! Keep rememebering yours...

My condolences for your loss. Sounds like you found a great way to pay tribute to his memory!

I picked up some of that Dollar Store Vijon Spice and recently Old Spice Classic. I actually mixed the two (I think I am some sort of AS mad scientist). I think someone here on the forum dubbed this mixture as "Old School Spice".

I enjoy the mad scientist approach, too. My most recent effort was a batch of ViJon/PG Old Spice (50/50) with about 15 drops of lime essential oil added in to make my own inexpensive version of Old Spice Lime. It smells the way I remember it from the 80s, but I don't have any of the Indian Old Spice Lime on hand to check.

Top Bottom