What's new

Received free 50 ml samples of Original Old Spice & Old Spice Musk Aftershaves!

A few weeks ago, I emailed several VP's at Walmart explaining the story of Old Spice and how the Classic version sold in the US is really a sweeter smelling formula than the original which is more closely resembled by the version sold by Old Spice, India, even though they're all owned by P&G. I also described the plastic bottle vs. glass bottle situation.

I've tried to order both the original aftershave and the musk from Amazon India and Amazon UK, as well as the vendors listed on the Old Spice India site in the "Buy Now" menu (http://www.oldspice.in/en-IN/products.aspx?t=2&id=5) but all orders resulted in a screen stating that these products couldn't be shipped to the USA. Apparently, products containing alcohol can't be exported to the US at the retail level.

In the email, I asked Walmart if they could use their considerable clout in the retail sector to influence P&G to distribute the original and musk fragrances in the US as well as the shaving cream tubes. After not hearing from any of the VP's for a few days, I thought to myself, "well, at least they're aware of the situation now". A week after I sent the email, I received a reply from their senior buyer for men's products. He said that he spent considerable time on the issue and that P&G told him they have no plans to distribute these products in the US at this time nor could he find any US distributors. As a token of appreciation, he sent one 50 ml bottle of the Old Spice Original and the Old Spice Musk imported aftershaves in glass bottles! They arrived yesterday. He must have gotten them through the perfumery grapevine. Unfortunately, about two thirds of the musk leaked during shipment, but I probably had the best smelling box on the Fedex truck!

The Original Old Spice definitely has a less sweet and a highly welcomed spicier scent than the Classic, but I must say I was floored by the musk. It's fantastic! It lasted for hours and would have lasted longer if I didn't take a shave (EJ DE89L razor with a Gillette Silver Blue blade for those who are curious) and apply another favorite aftershave - Brut Dominant. I have only used a few musk brands over the years and this one is near the top, second only to Pierre Cardin's retired musk cologne "in their famously shaped like you know what" black, glass bottle. I haven't even thrown out the Old Spice musk box yet because the odor is still strong. As I plan on keeping these glass bottles, I'm going to need some kind of thin funnel or straw to refill them when this stash runs out.

I also noticed that the boxes no longer state the Old Spice is manufactured under license by Shulton or something to that effect. It now states that Old Spice is manufactured by Rubicon Formulations, Pvt., Ltd. There's another thread here thas has a little more detail on this and mentioned something about Shulton's license with P&G expiring after the sale. Unless there was an update, the conclusion was that Rubicon was using the same original formula as Shulton. Perhaps some of you have more information.

In my followup email to Walmart, I'm going to list the difference in the ingredients between the two formulas.

From what I can tell, the "Classic" US version only lists:
Alcohol Denat., Water/eau, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance/parfum, Benzyl Alcohol, Peg-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil

while the version that's made in India has those ingredients and adds: diethyl phthalate (chemical binder), limonene (scent of orange), linalool (found in flowers and spice plants), isoeugenol (found in essential oil of plants for manufacture of vanillin), coumarin (for a clover-ish smell), eugenol (per Wikipedia - It is a colorless to pale yellow oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil and bay leaf), alpha-isomethyl ionone (woody or floral scent), citronellol - used in insect repellants and perfumes, benzyl benzoate (fixative), cinnamyl alcohol (per Wikipedia - Cinnamyl alcohol has a distinctive odor described as "sweet, balsam, hyacinth, spicy, green, powdery, cinnamic), citral (for another scent of citrus)

Now some of those ingredients are known to cause skin reactions in some people so could that be the reason that P&G won't distribute it in the US?

I'm also going to mention in my followup the difference between the Brut aftershave which is sold in the US and the much superior version in the glass bottle that's sold in Europe and made in France for Unilever called Brut Apres-Rasage.

Although they couldn't satisfy my wishes, I thought that the gesture of the aftershaves spoke pretty highly of those Walmart employees and at least I now know what I was missing.

Last edited:
I have heard that ingredients lists regulations vary by country. Those ingredients may very well be in the American version but are not required listing.

I was thinking the same thing but just about the ingredients that make up the scent or fragrance. There's no reason that they wouldn't list diethyl phthalate or benzyl benzoate in the US as I would think chemicals like that would be a mandatory listing. The formula must be different outside of the US.

I was thinking the same thing but just about the ingredients that make up the scent or fragrance. There's no reason that they wouldn't list diethyl phthalate or benzyl benzoate in the US as I would think chemicals like that would be a mandatory listing. The formula must be different outside of the US.

I am definitely subscribed to this thread.

Amazing story! Just goes to show that the squeaky wheel gets greased! :laugh: It's very cool that the head men's buyer seemed to empathize with your (and my) plea for true OS!

Great info thanks! I sure do love Old Spice. I'm 51, so can recall the original from many years ago. This modern "old spice original" is just not the same. I've resorted to decanting the ViJon made "Spice" from Family Dollar store (MUCH CLOSER to the original from what I can tell - and $2 per bottle!) into an old 1980's vintage OS bottle. BTW this is easily done without a funnel by simply inverting the "Spice" bottle and using it's super fine needle hole and squirting it directly into the vintage Old Spice bottle, which has a much larger opening. It took a minute or less.

Thanks for the hard work and the report above. It's a shame that the TRUE Old Spice formula and scent appears to be lost to the ages. This is just a guess on my part, but I suspect it's the EPA and millions of insane laws and regulations that may make the ingredients of the "original" either illegal to use or import or prohibitively expensive for this application. Perhaps P&G apparently doesn't want to share this explanation (fearing the loss of OS die-hard followers perhaps?) and so denies and evades wanting to enter into the discussion.

Vintage 1980's Old Spice bottle...
proxy.php

Pretty cool story shaveathon!
Amazing story! Just goes to show that the squeaky wheel gets greased! :laugh: It's very cool that the head men's buyer seemed to empathize with your (and my) plea for true OS!
Good work. Thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Hopefully, I'll have more to add after they receive my follow-up. I was hoping that the buyer would have agreed that the scents of the Original and Classic were different but I'm not sure if he sampled both.

Great info thanks! I sure do love Old Spice. I'm 51, so can recall the original from many years ago. This modern "old spice original" is just not the same. I've resorted to decanting the ViJon made "Spice" from Family Dollar store (MUCH CLOSER to the original from what I can tell - and $2 per bottle!)

Thanks for the hard work and the report above. It's a shame that the TRUE Old Spice formula and scent appears to be lost to the ages. This is just a guess on my part, but I suspect it's the EPA and millions of insane laws and regulations that may make the ingredients of the "original" either illegal to use or import or prohibitively expensive for this application. Perhaps P&G apparently doesn't want to share this explanation (fearing the loss of OS die-hard followers perhaps?) and so denies and evades wanting to enter into the discussion.

Jsc266 - Have you already tried the Original Old Spice from India that had the Shulton name on it before the switch to Rubicon? In summary, what you believe is that there are three versions of Old Spice - the Original before the sale to P&G which was probably same for a number of years until P&G revised it to this sweeter Classic scent, and the third is the "Original" version made in India, which you feel isn't exactly the original.

There's so much mystery regarding Old Spice over the last 20 years! Since P&G bought it, Shulton's name was on the bottle in India until recently when Rubicon seems to have taken over and is manufacturing it. The famous Old Spice thread here, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/279212-Will-the-real-quot-Old-Spice-quot-please-stand-up, where a forum member performs a headspace-gas chromatography study on Old Spice, includes posts form several members who think the version from India is very close to the original.

Does anyone know how long P&G continued to include Shulton's name on the bottle in the US and produce the same formula after the sale? I think Shulton's name was on the bottle I had after the sale to P&G, but unfortunately it broke several weeks ago and that's what lead me on this quest. I purchased my US version about 10-15 years ago or so. Was there ever actually a Shulton facility in India after the sale to P&G and if so, what happened to it if Rubicon is producing it now?

In regard to your pouring the Family Dollar scent into the old Old Spice bottles, are you also doing what some on this forum suggest which is adding 2 oz. of the current US "Classic" Old Spice to give the scent some staying power?

If you want to have a good chuckle, here are some of the less favorable reviews on P&G's own site for Old Spice:
http://oldspice.com/en/content/classic-after-shave

$oldspicereview.gif

Sure, I'll get the usual "thanks for contacting us" response, but those people are LYING to us former users of Original. It ticks me off enuf to boycott P&G. Only a bunch of marketing newbies would ruin our beloved Original.

Sure, I'll get the usual "thanks for contacting us" response, but those people are LYING to us former users of Original. It ticks me off enuf to boycott P&G. Only a bunch of marketing newbies would ruin our beloved Original.

If you think the Old Spice situation is lousy with OS shaving cream tubes, musk aftershave and the original formula available in India and the UK, read some of the threads about Mennen Skin Bracer and how L'Oreal deals with it in France as opposed to Colgate Palmolive in the US.

Last edited:
Shaveathon,

I'm not sure if the ViJon OS that I get at Family Dollar store is the same as the Shulton/India product (I've not tried that one). I read somewhere in a discussion that ViJon is made in India. Whatever it is, in my opinion it's pretty darned close to the original - at least alot closer than this imposter that is now sold as Old Spice today. And for me it's close enough that I'm not out looking any further for something else. I just decant it into an old bottle and I'm good to go. I don't mix in anything else.

Top Bottom