What's new

Old and crotchety

...and plurals are not formed with an apostrophe s. (...as in "plural's.")

There. I'm in the parade, too!

(I had to Google "yolo," incidentally.)

Some words/terms just look "funny" with the apostrophe in the correct position.
Example: "I grew up in the '60s" is the correct form, but most common usage puts the apostrophe in the wrong place.
Another one is with the rampant use of acronyms, the plural doesn't look right without the apostrophe. Even with a lower case "s", it just looks odd.

ah, but my beef isn't with those oddities - it's with the more-and-more common formation of a plural by adding " 's " to any singular noun - such as a local sign advertising "Christmas Tree's."

My son is an English teacher... gonna give 'im hell.

I try to use proper spelling & punctuation at all times. I know it sounds bad, but I think less of a person when they can't spell properly or use half-decent grammar.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks to this thread I now find myself using the correct punctuation and capitalization. I was one of those guys that just ramble on and dont bother correcting anything. But now every time I do that I think of this thread. So thanks you have now cost me an extra .01 seconds of typing.

On a side note I am using Chrome and absolutely love the built in spell check. I also use the dictionary quite often. I don't know if it is part of Chrome or my computer but I just right click on any word and it highlights it and opens a menu. From there I can "look up in dictionary" which presents its own little window with the definition. Awesome.

such as a local sign advertising "Christmas Tree's."

$cbrown.jpg

One that always cracks me up is when companies try to appear "with it" in advertising, but get it wrong.

A local salon goes by the name "Star Kutz"

Except the "z" would not be used to replace the "s" sound.
"Star Kutterz" would be correct for that culture.

I guess I am young and crotchety. I hate run on sentences without any paragraph breaks.

Writing in all lower case doesn't bother me too much though. Neither does using abbreviations when texting.

This is why it can take me any ware from 5 to 30 minutes to complete a post or an email. I tend to set there and re-read what I am saying to make sure it makes sense and sounds correct.

By the way, one of my biggest is using 'a' when it should be 'an'. Something like "I will send you a email" drives me nuts.

"Old and crotchety" applies to me.....language is interesting and I appreciate some of the abbreviations used when texting etc. I seem to need to puntcuate and try to spell correctly.
Perhps I am "rigid" (along with Old and crotchety)?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What about redundancy?

advanced planning

consensus of opinion

depreciate in value

fly through the air

a free gift

protest against

a sudden impulse

unintentional mistake

twelve noon (or twelve midnight)

Here's a good one that always gives me fits.

We are buying a Limited Edition

We are buying a LE
We are buying an LE

Is the statement parsed at face value as if it were spoken, or is the referenced term intended to be internally voiced, making the "a" correct?

Here's a good one that always gives me fits.

We are buying a Limited Edition

We are buying a LE
We are buying an LE

Is the statement parsed at face value as if it were spoken, or is the referenced term intended to be internally voiced, making the "a" correct?

My understanding has always been "an LE", since "an" precedes a vowel sound, not necessarily a vowel.

It does bug me, but it is really terrible when you have someone being rude and typing in that fashion. I usually end up telling them that I don't take them seriously because from what I can tell by their writing they are either 13 years old or under-educated and don't care about bettering themselves. That usually makes them flip out more and if it is on a public forum I pretty much win by calmly trolling them. I must say that I don't want to insult anyone that hasn't finished highschool or didn't get a post secondary education. I know many people and am related to many people that don't have either and did pretty damn well in life.

Top Bottom