What's new

Old and crotchety

maybe im just geting old and crotchety but it bugs the daylites out of me to read when people type posts like this does it bother anyone else i know i can;t b the only 1 this has to bother other members as much as it does me i just dont understand why dont people take a few seconds to capitalize at least some of the words and maybe throw in a few periods or commas or question marks and maybe separate paragraphs do any of u think it is because we do so much texting that it is now spilling over into other areas of the written word am i making too big of a deal about this what do u think happy new year

I feel the same way about emails, text messages and every other form of written communication. If you cannot take the time to type it properly, it probably wasn't worth saying.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Y U B mad Bro?

I agree with you, but the other end of the scale bugs me almost as much.

Yes, it bugs me too, Tom. I think that the offenders are not posting from a desktop or laptop and are posting from a phone or tablet.

I just got a tablet for Christmas and it is more work and time properly punctuating on the tablet's virtual keyboard. I almost thought about leaving out the punctuation and capitalization but then thought better of it. I'm only 32.

It does not bother me to the point of being mad. It is who they are. You could probably profile a person like this and be pretty accurate.

Drives me crazy as well! The other thing makes me crazy is the constant shortening of all words: NatGeo for National Geographic, is just one example. Our society has become to lazy for multisyllabic words.

Me? Old and Crotchety? Look at my avatar.

Contractions bother a lot of people. Reading your and you're when the writer has no idea which to use. Same with to, too, and two.

Now I have gotten to the age that nothing bothers me any more.

As long as my eyes continue to open in the morning I figure it is another good day :001_smile

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

$back-in-my-day-we-said-carpe-diem-not-yolo-thumb.jpg

I agree with you Tom. I am no grammar freak but I do try to remember why the fourth grade teacher went to such particular pains to make sure I knew what contractions were for and how to use them. And God help you for forgetting the basic punctuation like periods and exclamation points. And while you and everyone else is listening, get off my lawn!

Cheers, Todd

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Yes... it bugs the snot out of me, especially the substitution of numbers for letters, or single letters for words.

Legion

Staff member
My elderly mother sends me text messages with almost every word abbreviated in some way. It drives me up the wall.

"Hve a gr8 b'day <3 Mum"

Really?? Would it have taken that much more out of her day to type the words properly? She was a secretary for most of the sixties, it's not like she is not familiar with qwerty. And with predictive text it probably takes longer to type the abbreviations.

The older generation are so annoying. :001_tongu

Top Bottom