What's new

Old and crotchety

...and plurals are not formed with an apostrophe s. (...as in "plural's.")

There. I'm in the parade, too!

(I had to Google "yolo," incidentally.)

Last edited:
...and plurals are not formed with an apostrophe s. (...as in "plural's.")

There. I'm in the parade, too!
Some words/terms just look "funny" with the apostrophe in the correct position.
Example: "I grew up in the '60s" is the correct form, but most common usage puts the apostrophe in the wrong place.
Another one is with the rampant use of acronyms, the plural doesn't look right without the apostrophe. Even with a lower case "s", it just looks odd.

Any day I wake up not pushing poppies is a good day. I will say that I'm often guilty of some form of grammar rule so I can't throw stones but I try to be grammatically correct most times. Also keep in mind Tom, that people are from other countries so their upbringing may have something to do with it. But I can't imagine ANY language that allows a run on sentence as you wrote.

I'm terrible with spelling, commas, plurals and pretty much everything. I believe the OP was talking about someone who doesn't even try. One gigantic, abbreviated sentence / paragraph is just hard to read. I would be happier if it was just double spaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I'm pn my ipad or phone browsing I make losts of spelling and gamma errors.
i have the autocorrect turned off because it is super annoying.
i'm typing this from an ipad right now.
maybe I shold invest in a keyboard.

im just here wondering what u folx were sayin bout me since the subject is old & crotchety. :)

Iagreeit'sliketyryingtounderstandthisentecewithoutyourheadexploding:)

Except that as originally written, the books of the Old Testament were done like this:
nthbgnnngGdcrtdthhvnsndthrth and from right to left which I'm not about to do now.

im just here wondering what u folx were sayin bout me since the subject is old & crotchety. :)

Except that as originally written, the books of the Old Testament were done like this:
nthbgnnngGdcrtdthhvnsndthrth and from right to left which I'm not about to do now.

it's an insidious plot to turn the Internet into Finnegan's Wake.

Swype-style keyboards and autocorrect on my phone now guarantee that every word is spelled properly. Half the time it fills in completely wrong words, but they're definitely spelled right!

Yes, Tom . . . you are old and crotchety . . . and I'm right there with you!! I, too, cringe when I read some of today's "communication" . . . I can't help but think of old Miss Haggarty, one of my sixth-grade teachers. She had a wooden leg, a ruler, and a bad attitude. We spelled words correctly, used proper punctuation, and were expected to know the difference between their, they're, and there. (And heaven help you if you messed up!)

An interesting note, however, is that the standardization of spelling and punctuation was a fairly recent development whose popularity only lasted a few generations, from the mid 1800s to just a few years ago. I've been researching and documenting my family's history, and prior to 1850 just about everything written by common folk was phonetically spelled. Even a man's printed spelling of his own name could differ from one document to the next, although a signature was fairly consistent, but might have been spelled differently than he may have printed it.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most (today, anyway) is the overuse of the term "lol" . . . which I guess is supposed to mean "laugh out loud." I think, for some folk, it has become a substitute for a period at the end of a sentence. For example:

I got out of bed this morning and burned the toast lol
Then I tried to make lather with Williams and a boar brush lol
Dropped my straight once and now they call me "Stubby" lol

Just what is so damned funny that they have to laugh out loud with everything they write?

Top Bottom