What's new

Official Single Edge September (SEptember) Thread

Lovely Tuesday morning SEptember shave.
Glad I got this GEM Push-button as part of a recent BST deal. A consistently nice shaver indeed.
Was not enjoying the post-shave feel of this GEM PTFE on the first two shaves, but the last and this use (4) are fantastic.
Makes me want to try corking the next new blade, just to see for myself. I think it was brought up recently in this thread as well.
Arko/Cella/OS Sport frankensoap made an easy, nice lather.
BBS, 9.5/10!
Have a great day, B&B.
1663084263062.png

I suppose I could justify it if I sold some of my "idlers".

This is what I did this past May and June, albeit after buying stuff! I sold off quite a lot and it was nice to see money go *from* PayPal *into* my checking account! But dang if my razor box is getting too tight again! Time for a Fall clean up, I guess.

Lovely Tuesday morning SEptember shave.
Glad I got this GEM Push-button as part of a recent BST deal. A consistently nice shaver indeed.
Was not enjoying the post-shave feel of this GEM PTFE on the first two shaves, but the last and this use (4) are fantastic.
Makes me want to try corking the next new blade, just to see for myself.

I recently received a black and gold push button and the first shave with a new Personna PTFE GEM was harsh! I almost moved the razor to the Sell/PIF box. The next morning, I had another bad shave with the same blade moved to a known gentle GEM. This week I tried my first ever corking and I'll post below the results with the black and gold!

9_13 sotd.jpg

House of Mammoth Z (a wee hole and a thinning in the center that didn't show up in the photo shoot)
Semogue Galahad boar
GEM push button black and gold
Personna GEM (3)

A very fine shave, compared to the first outing. Is it due to a different blade, or that I corked this blade? I don't know, I just know it was nice! Still a bit aggressive, but not as bad as I had thought. I found it comfortable as long as I paid attention and was rewarded with a very close shave. One nick, caught a bump on my neck, likely due to inattention as I was lulled into believing this was a no-hands shave.

20220912_084107.jpg

Razor: Supply Pro Adjustable Injector Razor
Blade: Supply Black Label Injector blades
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Hunting Lodge
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My Vector is a few months old SS and I can not load a Shick Proline and have had sticking issues with the Kai Captain - but nothing too challenging. No issues with Feather Pro or Feather Proguard 🤷🏼‍♂️
My SS Vector is also only a few months old, but I got the Proline blades when I got my ATT SE1 a few years ago. No problems with any blade in my SE1, but the Proline blades do stick in my Vector only on one side. If I flip the blade over it falls out. The Kai MG blades are tight in my Vector also, but the Feather Proguard blades no sticking at all.

~doug~

SEptemboar Tuesday shave, a two-pass AC shave, BBS-, 10-/10; a quick shave with no mishaps and minimal ATG stubble feel, but a bit- a third pass would have caught it, but there was too much to do this morning:

Razor: Occam's AC razor
Blade: Feather Pro AC (3)
Lather: RR XXX- older version soap that makes a good lather
Brush: Zenith Euro small boar

Enjoy the rest of your week!

PXL_20220913_185141916.PORTRAIT.jpg

Calling all Vector users: how do I get a blade out of my Vector? It’s really stuck.
View attachment 1521520
@Hannah's Dad I have given this issue a lot of thought.

I think the solution to this issue might be along the same lines as the solution(s) proposed by Shane.

I got this response quoting Shane. I can not find the original post.

Message quoting Shane.
Here is the quote from Shane:

Unfortunately, Schicks use a slightly different hole pattern so we no longer consider them to be Vector-compatible. Sometimes they fit okay, but often they do not. You could certainly Dremel them out. Or, if you're really committed to these blades, you could lightly sand the outside surface of the top cap blade pins to make them a few tenths of a mm narrower. The downside to this is that other blades wouldn't have perfect lateral alignment, but that's not a big deal.

Issue with Blackland Vector and Schick Proline
In post #8 Shane stated "Right. We've removed Schicks from our list of Vector-approved blades due to the hit-or-miss fit of these blades. They have a slightly different hole pattern which makes fit something of a gamble from pack to pack or even blade to blade. The narrower hole pattern means that in the best case, the blades fit tighter when tolerances work in our favor and when the tolerances work against us, they don't fit at all. This is not a new issue and it's something we've dealt with for years, but we've finally just removed the Schicks from our list altogether because we cannot guarantee that they will work, even though they often/usually do."

I am thinking the solution to blade sticking issue is the same --> Sand the posts on the top cap to give a more relaxed fit.

When I could not use the Prolines in my Vector, I did not care that much and decided not to make mods to the Vector to accommodate a blade with a hit-or-miss fit.

I am getting nice results from the KAI Protouch MG with the exception they stick when trying to remove them.

I may rethink my position and sand the posts lightly.

Anyway just my thoughts.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I think the solution to this issue might be along the same lines as the solution(s) proposed by Shane.

Message quoting Shane.

Unfortunately, Schicks use a slightly different hole pattern so we no longer consider them to be Vector-compatible. Sometimes they fit okay, but often they do not. You could certainly Dremel them out. Or, if you're really committed to these blades, you could lightly sand the outside surface of the top cap blade pins to make them a few tenths of a mm narrower. The downside to this is that other blades wouldn't have perfect lateral alignment, but that's not a big deal.

In post #8 Shane stated "Right. We've removed Schicks from our list of Vector-approved blades due to the hit-or-miss fit of these blades. They have a slightly different hole pattern which makes fit something of a gamble from pack to pack or even blade to blade. The narrower hole pattern means that in the best case, the blades fit tighter when tolerances work in our favor and when the tolerances work against us, they don't fit at all. This is not a new issue and it's something we've dealt with for years, but we've finally just removed the Schicks from our list altogether because we cannot guarantee that they will work, even though they often/usually do."

I am thinking the solution to blade sticking issue is the same --> Sand the posts on the top cap to give a more relaxed fit.

When I could not use the Prolines in my Vector, I did not care that much and decided not to make mods to the Vector to accommodate a blade with a hit-or-miss fit.

I am getting nice results from the KAI Protouch MG with the exception they stick when trying to remove them.

Anyway just my thoughts.
I'm beginning to think that it's the newer Prolines that have issues?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

Message quoting Shane.

Anyway just my thoughts.
Thank you, my friend!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge September (SEptember) 2022
20220913_100543~2.jpg

Razor: Alpha Claymore Evolution (@Rosseforp GTC 25G Handle)
Blade: Feather Pro Super (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M Dark Knight (Shavemac 26/52 D01 3-Band)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: RazoRock The Dead Sea
Aftershave: RazoRock The Dead Sea
Fragrance: Classic Match Homme
20220913_100639~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11928127

Sample Shave today, with both soap and blade which were given to me as samples (the blade came from "return of a friend PIF" here. I have used the soap in the past 3 days, and I really like it's scent and performance, very nice. The blade is new to me. Now, the Twig doesn't tell you much, almost any blade works in it. I have the impression it isn't the sharpest of blades, but the shave was fine and very comfortable.

Leaf shave - the Twig
Elios Inoxidable
Omega 10019
Southern Witchcrafts - Fougere Nemeta
Fresh Up AS
Balea Sensiitve ASB

View media item 69713

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
SEptember

Last night’s luxury shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (5)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
RazoRock.F400 XXL 34mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by a few minutes of waterboarding
Lather: Col Conk Unscented, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel cream

I’m leaning towards the waterboarding being the lynchpin of providing decadent enjoyment to my last three shaves. Could be wrong, but it’s a suspicion bordering prejudice for me now. Shallow ATG and steep ATG cleanup and I was close enough for the win!

Razor: Blackland Vector (68)
Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (3)
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Unscented With Beeswax
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut; Stirling Sandalwood Post Shave Balm

No nicks; No irritation; Very close and Very smooth. A pleasant DFS+ steep angle shave.

Shave log summary 20220909

Cheers!!!

linty1

My wallet cries.
thumbnail_IMG_2571.jpg

Opened the pack of Schick blades and... the blades don't fit? At least I couldn't get them to settle into the two nubs... the blade kept bending and not settling in. Weird, tried two blades. Went back to the kai milds and pop! first try. Oh well, I'll wait and try it again when I switch razors.

On this shave the super seemed to get softer/less scrubby? Or maybe I'm imagining things. Have about... 20 shaves on the brush now and it's going well, the short handle isn't really much of an issue. I should switch razors soon eh? I've been using this one for a while now... mm..

SEptember

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Black Supply SE
Blade: Supply Black Label (6)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Baker Street
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery TravelShave Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Sand Ebonite Handcrafted Handle 24mm G5A Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Executive Man EDT
Rating: 10/10 Three pass BBS shave with one touch up, no weepers, cuts or irritation. Very good lather, cushion and slickness. Very nice shave, blade just a bit tuggy, probably time to change for a new one. To me the SE is a nice mindless razor that gives very good shaves with little effort.

Top Bottom