What's new

Official Single Edge September (SEptember) Thread

linty1

My wallet cries.
CAAAA9EB-60CE-4997-B5FF-48A29D18B45C.jpeg

Normally I don't shave on back to back days, but have a function tomorrow and with the kid climbing all over it needed to be a fast touch up... so went with the sensor. Isn't a single edge so I posted a little thumbnail. It was a very smooth shave, as I had stroped the sensor last time. I wonder how long/many shaves I can coax out of this cart if I keep stropping it?

linty1

My wallet cries.
SOTD: Wednesday September 14, 2022 (SEptember 3rd)
Razor: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Starling V2OC
Blade: Personna PTFE (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

View attachment 1522587

Back when I was dipping my toes into wet shaving I got seduced by the quirkiness of Gem and Gemish (non-ASR razors that use Gem format blades). I love the fact that there is an alternative out there, still, after all these years. I like shaving with a Gem-format razor occasionally because it presents a different suite of challenges than DE.

Anyhow, today's razor: One of the first Gemish razors I bought was this one. It's a razor of firsts; first aluminum razor, first OC razor, first wet shaving BBS. Although it felt sacreligious at the time I put an ATT Kronos handle on it and immediately I liked it better. I've also used a West Coast Shaving 84S handle on it.

Other razors have come and gone, including a whole string of Gems. I have three vintage ASRs left: Gem Jr. Bar, Gem MMOC and Ever Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher. The LLC will pop up here in a couple of weeks.

This morning I decided to set up the razor like I used to do. Dug out a Kronos handle and off to the races. Second use on the blade so it's still a bit jaggy but the next couple of shaves after this will be smoother. It's an interesting OC because the teeth are so close together, but OC it is and it works well. I think that defines the higher end of the number of teeth I like on an OC razor -- the RazoRock "Jaws" defines the lower end by having one or two teeth fewer than I would like (which is why my Jaws-equipped razor is now somebody else's).

Some like it; some don't -- it's an underappreciated Gemish gem in my opinion.

O.H.
I've never seen that gem(ish) gem before from paa.. I will give it a look. Thank you.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
SEptember

Last night’s luxury shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (6)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by a few minutes of waterboarding
Lather: Col Conk Unscented, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel cream

All the things that were to be done differently or not differently with this shave. The Loi blade was moved to the El Fantasma slant razor. The ARKO! jar was placed atop the Wickhams jar. The AP ShaveCo Cashmere was going to — well that was used. And the main pass was again going to be shallow.

So RazoRock Hawk V3OC for a steep ATG pass and a little cleanup and done!

Razor: GEM Featherweight V1 (2)
Blade: Personna GEM Coated (2)
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Unscented With Beeswax
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut; Stirling Sandalwood Post Shave Balm

No nicks; No irritation; Very close and very smooth; Pleasant DFS++ shave. On target.😀

Excellent shave on a new to me razor. Very similar results to the Blackland Sabre L1.

Shave log summary 20220909

Cheers!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, Thursday SEptember 15th 2022

Razor : Gem Junior bar, Mfg 1907-11, upper mild range> tame mid range, this razor was built to last, nice base plate design, this little razor is such a smooth razor with a new blade, very close comfortable shave with excellent results.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) Very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap :Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent + with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Ferrari 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end boar bristles, great splay scrubber+ excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD Septemper 15 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

SEptember

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Mirror Polish Supply Pro
Blade: Schick "Chick" (6)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Baker Street
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery TravelShave Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Ruby Ripple Handle 24mm Cashmere Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Executive Man EDT
Rating: 10/10 Three pass efficient BBS shave with no touch ups, weepers, cuts or irritation. Very good lather, cushion and slickness. Very nice shave. All three passes completed on #2. With every use I am learning more about the Pro and how it shaves.

SEpGemBoar week continues!

9_15 sotd.jpg

GEM Junior, ca. 1933 to 1938, nickel plated by BRG
Personna Pfft GEM (5)
Ever Ready boar
House of Mammoth Z
Ethos Lather Enhancer
Thayer's Original WH toner

First, you need to look at that boar knot. Paul @mrdoug restored this Ever Ready with a Maggards 24mm premium boar. I don't know how you broke it in, Paul, but this knot is as soft as a SynBad or Cashmere! I hadn't used it for a month or more, so I soaked it overnight before yesterday's shave and it was outstanding. The above photo is how that knot looked this morning before soaking while I showered. Glorious goodness! And coupled with the Ethos and the Mammoth soap, I had luxurious, creamy, slick lather that had me wanting to stop and either take pictures or make notes on exactly what I did right! Whatever the case, this shave was the kind that make me worried about tomorrow's follow up shave, as this one set such a high bar!

Turn up to 11 smaller.jpg

September 15, 2022

Pre-shave: Noxzema face wash + hyaluronic acid serum
Razor: Blackland Vector Open Comb (Rocca handle)
Blade: Kai Titan Pink
Lather: Dr. Jon's "Black River"

The Vector Open Comb feels just slightly more aggressive than the straight bar. Maybe a half-step more, just enough to notice. The Kai blade got stuck, of course, and had to pry lightly to dislodge it ... no big deal, but I expect to get a dozen more shaves out of it, and she'll get stuck every time. Anyway, a great shave today. Two-pass perfection.

Dr. Jon's BLACK RIVER soap is very nice -- top tier stuff, in my opinion. Some gunpowder scent, and a slight rose undertone (but it's not too floral so it's just right). The scent of the aftershave hangs around for an hour or so. I like it a lot.

Black River Shave.jpg

SEptember shave #8 on two day growth
  • Late 1950s Type I2 Eversharp Hydro-magic injector
  • modern Schick Plus Platinum (4)
  • Noxema as preshave wash
  • La Toja cream
  • Semogue 820 face-lathering beast
  • La Toja after shave balm
PXL_20220915_104514916.jpg

I love me some Hydro-magic. This thing just can't give a bad shave. The Chick blade just keeps on truckin'. Today's was DFS+ in three comfortable passes. It's about 10 hours after I shaved, and I'm just now starting to feel a tiny bit of stubble. It was only my second use of the La Toja cream. I just smeared a bit on my face and lathered it there with the Semogue Boar. Easy peasy. I keep forgetting that I have this cream, which is odd because I the La Toja balm is my favorite. I thought the combination of these tools worked splendidly.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
SEptember

Last night’s luxury shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (7)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: cold water pat-down with shave binky followed by a few minutes of waterboarding
Lather: ARKO!, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel cream

Shallow ATG pass and shallow ATG cleanup and I was close enough for the win!

Top Bottom