What's new

Odd Animal Facts or "Facts"

I believe cats recognize themselves in a mirror.

We got our cat as a feral cat that simply moved into our house while it was under construction. Although not a kitten she was quite young and not fully grown. We eventually decided to keep her, took her to the vet for a checkup, shots, spading, etc., then brought her to our apartment to await the completion of our house. (note: This "free" cat cost us over $300 in vet bills!)

When she got to the apartment she explored the place and came across a mirror. Apparently she had never seen one before. Her tail fluffed out, her back arched, she let out a big hiss and took a swipe at the mirror. She thought it was another cat! A few moments later, after looking behind the mirror and coming at it from different angles, sniffing, poking, etc., she ignored it. She no longer shows any interest in herself in the mirror.

I'm pretty sure she figured out it was her in the glass. She certainly recognized it as a cat and shortly thereafter realized it wasn't *another* cat. Perhaps she figured it was just a very good picture of a cat, but she also recognizes cats as cats on TV (shows extra interest) but doesn't freak out.

I have tested her understanding of a mirror. If she has a mirror in her field of view and I am in the right spot I can wave my hands and she will turn to look at me.

I've never read anything about feline cognition, I'm a dog guy. But, the reading I've done says that the test for self-recognition is to put them in front of a mirror with a small dab of odd colored paint on their forehead, or a ssomething otherwise abnormal to their coat. If they try to remove it, it's self-recognition and at least in the case of canines, fairly rare.

I've never read anything about feline cognition, I'm a dog guy. But, the reading I've done says that the test for self-recognition is to put them in front of a mirror with a small dab of odd colored paint on their forehead, or a ssomething otherwise abnormal to their coat. If they try to remove it, it's self-recognition and at least in the case of canines, fairly rare.

Interesting idea, but I can't think of what or how to put something on my cat without her knowing *before* looking in the mirror!

I've been known to spend a bunch of money on shave gear. Now that's strange.

My dads dog farts and scares his self. Just lying there asleep, let's one rip and runs into the next room thinking something is after him. Strange dog

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The fact that pacific salmon are born in a creek somewhere, swim to the ocean as infants (that's not the technical term, but you know ... ), spend years swimming about the ocean, and then manage to find their way back upstream to the same creek to spawn and die.

Friggin' awesome.

Oh, and my sister was bitten by a moose.

The fact that pacific salmon are born in a creek somewhere, swim to the ocean as infants (that's not the technical term, but you know ... ), spend years swimming about the ocean, and then manage to find their way back upstream to the same creek to spawn and die.

Friggin' awesome.

Oh, and my sister was bitten by a moose.

All polar bears are left handed.

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".:lol::lol:

Mike the Headless Chicken (April 1945 – March 1947), also known as Miracle Mike, was a Wyandotte chicken that lived for 18 months after his head had been mostly cut off. Thought by many to be a hoax, the bird was taken by his owner to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City to establish its authenticity.

See the full article in Wikipedia

I was doing a pub trivia contest one night, and one of the questions was "have fast can a wild turkey run?" The answer given as correct was 50mph. Now I've seen a wild turkey run, and they are fast. But not that fast. Can't believe someone at the company that writes the questions saw that somewhere on the internet and didn't double check it....

(Also, yes, I was enough of a nerd to do considerable research on the internet. One obviously erroneous source did report that number. But the consensus was around twenty-something.)

Now just which government agency spent millions on scientific studies to find out this little tidbit?

Pretty sure it was Aussie scientists. It's caused by a bacteria in the kangaroo stomach (I think) so they want to see if it could be used for cows - to reduce the amount of methane they produce.

There is a type of fruit fly that has sperm cells that are 5.8cm long when uncoiled. The longest of any knowm organism on Earth.

My Rottweiler could eat a bagel in about one second but took about a minute to get a single raisin down.

She was not allowed to beg at the table so she sat about 15 feet away and we would occasionally throw her a tidbit (bagel, raisin, whatever). She cold catch anything. Yes, I know this is a bit uncouth, but we both had fun!

I know of another Rottweiler whose training went a bit awry. She knew sit, down, stay, etc. but took "stay" to mean stay down but not stay in one place. When told "down, stay" she would literally crawl to wherever she wanted to go.

Some species are also facultative transsexuals. (they change gender depending on need. :eek:)

Similar to clown fish. They live in pairs and when the female dies the dominant male changes to a female and choose the biggest neuter clownfish in the group to become the new male.

Finding Nemo would have been a different film entirely had it follwed those sequence of events.

Top Bottom