What are your nicknames/aliases?
KidT

Where do you live?
Metro Detroit

What is your age (or) generation?

What are you in the real world?
Doctor

What is your favorite shave setup?
Preshave in the shower with hot water waking me up with a five minute blast of hot water, while the C&E BBB soaks in a Drug Rep Latte glass (which has a thermal decal that shows only when the mug is heated by the water - The Drug Aricept. I find this a completely useless, but neat feature, as it gives me an idea of when the water is cooling).

Out of shower, add the Shave Secret (four drops), splash hot water to face. Then drain the brush and use TABAC to face-lather, dipping the brush in the hot water mug when needed.

Using the Merkur Progress with a Derby, I then do the "Back by Popular Demand - the Four Pass Shave," but only the first three passes with buffing and J-Hooking for the rough patches.

Ice cold water to complete the wake up process.

Aftershave with Herbal Science after shave (bought at Whole foods for $3.00) - this stuff is a freakin' GODSEND.

Tell the fiancee I love her with a text message as I enjoy the day!

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?
My work IS my hobby. I love what I do. I also play Capoeira, Snowboard, and read gobs and gobs of medical journals and books.

What else should the members of B&B know about you?
The most often asked question I get is why, as an adult woman, do I shave my face...Just kidding. I'm a guy. I'm arabic, so I've had the need to shave since I was about four years old.

When I first asked my dad to teach me how to shave, I was in seventh grade, and was sick of the ridicule (Iraq War Part 1 was going on at the time). I was terribly nervous asking my father to teach me how to shave, but when I did, he stopped what he was doing, and took an hour to teach me. My dad worked about seven million hours a week (give or take), and for him to put the world (and his free time) on hold meant something to me - possibly one of the best memories I have. I'll never be able to explain it, but for some reason, I took it seriously.

Throughout my life, I was always taking my shave seriously. I tried to shave in the shower, with the newest razor on the market. I always felt that shaving was a man ritual that I was to embrace and take seriously. Of course, there were the years when I just needed to be done, but when I had time, I always wanted to have the best shave possible. I dumped cash on the best razors (high tech ***), and the best "Dual Action Foam Gels" I could.

About two years ago, I was talking with my dad and brother about an electric razor - both of them swearing it was the best thing ever. I borrowed my dad's Braun Activator and spent twice the amount of time I do now getting the worst, most uneven shaves of my life. This went on, and worsened as I started having irritation with collared shirts.

Cut to November, 2007. I read an article about wetshaving I strolled across while surfing - and the light bulb went on in my head. THIS is what I've been looking for. I wasn't jumping on the bandwagon - I was looking for it, and didn't know wetshaving was out there. I never thought a wetshaving community existed. The day after christmas, I drove to A2 and bought my first setup in one swoop as a gift to myself.

The outcome? I've hacked my face up. I've bloodied myself. I've irritated myself. I got BBS eventually - and have never looked back. I do like the zen of it. I like the tradition. I like the time I take in the mirror. I like the fact that I look at myself in the mirror as I lather and look at all the flaws I need to work on - most people don't really do that anymore. It's hard to be fat if you force yourself to stare at yourself shirtless for a half hour each morning. My fiancee laughs at the way I become a snob in the shaving aisle at the store. I laugh because she can't use my razor to shave her legs. I get a kick out of being the guy who takes his time and appreciates the fact that for an hour a day, I get to fully enjoy the fruits of my own labor - nobody else. That really helps me to give myself and my time to others without being selfish.

I recently told my dad about how I always remembered him teaching me how to shave, and how much that sticks in my head. He admits he doesn't remember it, but now he's considering a DE - and that's a close second for cool memories to have later in life.

(Thread generated automatically by the Hall of Fame Submission Form)

Top Bottom