What's new

OCtober 2021

Light stubble but, just enough for an ATG pass and a chin buff. The Gillette Old performed brilliantly last night as the shadow came out a bit later than usual. Nevertheless, I’m back to smooth & clean with the Timeless Ti and Feather (2nd use) putting in the work. The B&M Seville in Reserve delivered excellent suds with slickness and glide galore. A shame this base was discontinued. Prada to seal the deal.

Great shaves to all….

Timeless Ti/Feather-RR F400 34mm-XXL-Barrister&Mann Seville in Reserve soap/splash-Prada Luna Rossa Extreme edp

A6C13E9C-A800-426B-B63B-FF37B3E02CF9.jpeg

Last night, I had shave #37 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made my best lather with it, yet.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After shaking my brush to remove some water, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for 40 seconds before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. This shave was smoother than my previous shave. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt no sting from the alum block. I did feel a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my fifth time using the VDH balm. Again, I used a little less than pea sized amount of the balm and got a better skin feel (i.e., less "heavy"/greasy) but still perspired a bit more on areas of my face to which I applied the balm than areas without the balm.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 99/100.

D0C39EED-B036-4F11-BB17-578FB80D8A87.jpeg

So far, I've been favorably impressed by the LOI Titanium blades. They shave extremely smoothly in the razors I have tried them with, so they seem to be a very good match with the SLOC.

I've been trying so many different blades recently, it's hard to keep them all in mind for a comparison. I think the BIC Chromes may be slightly sharper, but the LOI Titaniums are in the ballpark. For longevity, I have not tried to push the LOIs past seven shaves, but they could have probably gone on a while longer.

The LOIs appear to be very similar, if not the exact same as the Sharp Titanium blades. They are great value blades at $9/100, practically unbeatable.
FWIW, the LOI Titanium is my favorite blade*. I am able to get quite a number of shaves out of them. My shaves with the LOI Titanium were all very smooth.

That said, I bought my 100 pack for $10 on Amazon. I got a 100 pack of Lord Platinums for $7. Lord Platinums are my second favorite blade. I also get fantastic shaves with these blades, though they don't last quite as long as the LOI Titanium blades, IME.

*Though, they may be getting edged out by the vintage (and now unobtanium) Polisilver Stainless, with which I'm closing in on 40 shaves.

TabaOCtober Fri 29
Soap Tabac
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express
Razor Gillette New LC
Blade JAWS Platinum 4th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M Seville Splash
This will be the last tabac use for Oct. Super duper good creamy and slick lather!
A good shave with the razor paired with the blade. Uneventful in 3passes for a dfs result. Nice aftershaves.
20211029_071445.jpg

Oct 28
Razor: RazoRock Gamechanger .84 OC
Blade: Fresh Permasharp
Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: Semogue
A/S: B&M Seville

I have used all of the Gamechangers. Of them all, the .84 SB was the only one I passed along. As for the rest? They are all keepers. Earlier this month, I used the .68 OC and reported how smooth is was and the excellent shaves it provided. I also noted that although the shaves were great, it was not as close as I would like. The excellent shave did not last long either. The .84 OC provides the same experience as the .68 albeit with a bit more blade feel. The big difference is the lasting shave it provides. This morning, the .84 OC provided a great shave, smooth, event free, no irritation and as I sit here 12 hours later, the shave is still a DFS+.

Top Bottom