What's new

OCtober 2021

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday October 27, 2021 (OCtober 10st)
Razor: S2
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: RR Beehive
Soap: Yardley

After leveling off the scar on the back of my head Monday, today I skinned the scab off of it and didn't get much blood. Aside from that minor matter I had a most excellent DFS+ today. I'll call that a win.

O.H.

A nice and relaxing shave. The Thin Cap is a real pleasure to use and delivers BBS shaves with regularity. I did give myself a few very tiny weepers along the both jawlines and around the corners of the stache but, I think that had more to do with the fresh install of a Feather blade. Didn’t feel a thing as the PAA soap provided excellent glide & slickness with good protection. Just 5 to 6 tiny red dots after the final pass magically appeared. Cold water rinse and an alum pass, done deal.

Great shaves to all….

Gillette Old Thin Cap/Feather-Yaqi 28mm Tux Barber Pole-PAA Oud Spice soap & splash/cologne

4238907D-87D4-4A6D-8CA3-19359A192045.jpeg

20211024_110431-01.jpeg
SOTD #260/2021
28-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue TSN 2020 LE 3-band silvertip badger
Soap: Ariana and Evans ~ Spartacus
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Ariana and Evans ~ Spartacus ASL, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

2 days worth of growth - this is the perfect playground for the R41 (at least for my face). 2 efficient yet gentle passes. A BBS and silky soft skin was the result.

Happy shaves!

1910 Gillette Single Ring / vintage Gillette Thin (3) / Williams-VDH shave stick / vintage OS AS – No time for a photo, but I need to do a side by side comparison of the two single rings I have (a 1908 and this one). With a blade in it, the 1908 (either due to over-tightening, soft brass, etc.), only catches on the last ¼ turn if you hold the top cap down when tightening. I took mercy on this one when found--the handle tightened down, but it looked like they scrubbed it with a scotch-brite pad/steel wool, so it was shiny but scratched all to hell. I mistook the faint “B” in the serial number as a “D”, but it had no characteristics for that model year, and no patent date on the handle. Once home, I began swapping top caps with barrels and handles trying to figure out why the 1910 locked down securely and the 1908 didn’t, and discovered that no combination of barrels and top caps tightened on the 1908 but all tightened on the 1910 so I looked to the handles. Evidently the 1910 had the same problem as the 1908 and was “fixed” by removing about 1/8-3/16” from the bottom of the handle so the barrel would engage the threads and tighten down. The dead giveaway is no patent date left on the bottom of the handle and placed side-by-side you can see the length difference, but held by itself the difference is imperceptible. Despite all of the abuse, the plating is intact everywhere and it shaves great.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Plisson-Joris Palladium Engraved
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (4)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Soap: MdC French Vetyver
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave (Splash)
042_21.jpg

“Excuse me, I said. I thought you were a trout stream. I'm not, she said.” ―Richard Brautigan

IMG_20211028_123628.jpg

Oct 28th
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube
BrushRudy Vey 2019 B&B LE Manchurian
BowlCC Copper
SoapFine Lavender Pour Homme
RazorGillette Bulldog Old Type
BladeWizamet Polsilver Stainless (28)
Post ShaveAlum followed by Witch Hazel
After ShaveFine Lavender Pour Homme
BalmAOS Lavender Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
FragCaron Pour Un Homme
RatingDFS+ 9.8 No blood, no irritation

My Bulldog Old Type arrived very early. Dip in the ultra sonic and barbicide. Left to dry and then it was shave worthy. So much smoother than I remember my gimpy handle Old Type being when I first started. Very close comfortable shave. Alum barely registered. The Bulldog is in pretty good shape. One tooth slightly bent, and some light pitting on the top plate. I am hoping that comes out with light polishing. For being over a hundred, I think it has held up remarkably well, and, worth what I paid for it. More of the same from Unobtainium blade 2. Sharp and smooth. Decided to stick to the same software line up from yesterday. I wish I would have known I would like Lavender this much, much sooner. The AOS balm is okay. Adding the hyaluronic acid helps, but, my face feels tacky. I may end up using the Brickell Instant Relief instead in the future. It is pricey but worth it. I like it better than B&M's balm which was my favorite. I used my favorite brush today my Rudy Vey Manchurian. I love the long handle, the knot, and everything about it. All in all today's shave was just pleasant. If you had told me a month ago I would enjoy the shave from an Old Type this much I would have doubted your sanity. I had never had a good shave with an open comb, and, the OLD Type was one of the worst. I think it was damaged, but, what has changed the most is me. My technique has come a long way. I still not satisfied with where I am technique wise, but, I can get smooth comfortable close shaves with just about anything I try now.

Top Bottom