What's new

OCtober 2021

Eighth shave of the month. Brand new brush and my favorite blade. Haven't used a boar brush in a few years, so it's nice to have that change up from my workhorse of a Wee Scot again. I'd essentially forgotten what the boar experience was like, hehe. So much stiffness and scrub, but lovely soft tips with no hint of scritch. Not bad for $7!

On top of that, reuniting my Tradere with its favorite partner, the Wizamet Super Iridium, for the first time in several years was a delight. Such an effortlessly effective and comfortable shave. A new brick of 250 should keep me happy for quite some time!

Razor: 1st gen Tradere OC
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Omega 10086
Soap: Tabac

Gillette LC New / vintage Gillette Thin (4) / Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Soap & A/S -- probably my last OCtober shave for 2021 as I doubt that I will shave this weekend. I did not get through all of my open comb razors, but I did get to every representative type (except the Segal, I didn't feel like trimming a blade). Despite normal Ball-end OT type handle cracks this LC seemed pretty tight (w/plating and shellac still present, hence the orangish color), but the patent stamp at the top of the handle (and upside down) always threw me, until this morning when the ball-end popped off. I'm thinking it's happened before and someone before me put the handle back together wrong--I have 2 brushes to re-knot and other epoxy work this weekend so I'll add the handle to the docket and "set it right" and maybe add some weight to it.
Last OCtober shave.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Plisson-Joris Palladium Engraved
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (5)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Soap: MdC French Vetyver
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave (Splash)
044_21.jpg

I end OCtober on a high note with a great razor. Not one of those razors that has to compete to be the better of the other razors, if only in my mind. For the better of the other razors I used, the results are as follows: In at 3rd place Gillette New LC, in at 2nd Gillette New SC, and for the win Gillette Old Type. It's been fun participating in OCtober once again, until next year. Happy Shaves!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Friday October 29, 2021 (OCtober 11az)
Razor: Above the Tie S2
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Brush: RazoRock Beehive Synthetic
Soap: Yardley Oatmeal & Almond

Looking back, it's been really great to spend the month with just one razor. After the freneticism of SE/SLANtember having the chance to reconnect a bit longer-term with a favourite created a pretty stable point of reference for each shave day. Also technique on just one razor sharpened up a little, leading to effortless DFS+.

Mrs. Hippie approved the shave this morning and asked about my plans for November. As to that, I haven't really thought about it, but there are some razors I'm thinking about pulling out for a couple of weeks each.

Tune in, Lather up, Shave off...

O.H.

Soap: Muhle Sea Buckthorn Shaving soap
Razor: Gillette (That I haven't taken the time to date the serial, 2nd time using)
Blade: Shark Platinum
Post Shave: Nivea Sensitive skin
Rating: 6/10

I haven't been a fan of the Lord/Shark family but I try to circle back around every now and again to find a good razor/blade combo. I'm glad I took the extra minute to get one of my best lathers of all time, although I'm still very new at this. I need to get a new brush.
20211028_213226.jpg
20211028_213317.jpg

Thank You for the October Shaves Gentlemen

October 29
Fatip Gold Grande/Feather/single use
Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Zenith B-27 Chubby Scrubby Boar

Six day growth - My Halloween Shave. BOO!
Last shave of the month for me. My second go at the Cosmo, still dialing in the 4.2 formula. Way too creamy last shave. I’ll be using hot water to bloom and dip tips. I’ll use all the bloom water in the boar brush as opposed to half used first time. Wether 4.2 or 4.3 formulas, dipping the tips for adjusting is closer to a dunk. It takes a lot more water to adjust the lather on either formula than any soaps I’ve used previously.

29FA07A2-7CF0-4F8D-8A6D-5C7AB6A857D2.jpeg

I bloomed the puck for ten minutes with warm water. I have never found it necessary to bloom most soaps but the SV’s require blooms to develop lather and work properly. This 4.2 formula did not like cold water at all, last week. I finished the boar soak in tepid water and used warm water for tip dunks in my adjusting. After rinsing the Grande in the cold water basin for lather removal I would dip it in the warm bowl water. Lo and behold warm brass slides smoother and quicker over cold grease under the lather. The comfort level on the razor between a warm and cold dip was almost significant enough to get my knees knocking. An introduction of some warmth in a cold water shave. Maybe it’s not a pure cold water shave any more. I’m going with Hybrid, improved razor glide and comfort.
All the bloom water was poured into a lightly squeezed brush. The lather work almost splashy but soon moved into a very nice medium dense lather for my face shave. I readjusted the lather just a tad heavier and creamy for the head shave. The lather face and head were at a great comfort level. More heat and more water than other soaps require, in my experience and I like Cosmo. I do prefer the 4.3 formula but not by much.
The scent is pleasant and I really don’t notice them during the shave as much as after the shave. An excellent ATG Single Pass Shave with great BBS comfort. No complaints with the six day growth. I will try a seven day growth for next week. My Last seven day shave less buffing was required. I would like to repeat that shave.

Happy Halloween 🎃

OCtober 29

Brush:
Yaqi Moka Express badger
Soap: ARKO
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless
Razor: Gillette Tech with 3D printed Old Type base plate

The university I work at has a 3D printing lab. I used the design for an old type base plate recently posted by @RDM. In the spirit of kintsugi (the Japanese art of mending pottery) and sashimi (Japanese clothes mending), I chose red to emphasize that the base plate is not original, and is to be admired as such.

After reading through the comments on this base plate, I decided to print out the mild version. I'm glad I did. While it's advertised as having zero blade exposure, mine ended up giving more than sufficient blade feel. More than my Gillette New Improved.

Tomorrow, I may try this base plate with another Gillette Tech to see if that delivers less blade feel.

2021-10-29 19.43.11.jpg

OCtober 29, 2021 Fatip Friday

Razor
Fatip Piccolo Nickel Open Comb
Blade Vintage Schick Super Platinum (2)
Brush Frank Shaving G5 Synthetic Brush 24mm
Pre Shave No pre shave when I first use a soap or cream to fully experience the new product
Soap Stirling Executive Man
Aftershave Stirling Executive A/S Splash

Smooth, comfortable BBS shave.

My first shave with Stirling Executive Man Soap and A/S. I feel and smell like a million bucks!

First Long Rifle Soap, now Stirling, my second Artisan Soap. Both great shaves!!

The mighty Piccolo, Stirling and Vintage Schick blades are a winning combination!

Thanks to @JCinPA for his generous PIF.

IMG_20211028_173650291.jpg

Top Bottom