What's new

OCtober 2017

I'm out for a few days boys- had some skin cancer removed from my face and I won't be able to shave while the stitches heal up.

I'll enjoy watching all of the fun though! Great razors and shaves gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear that, hope everything is OK.

OCtober shave 17

Ball-end thick-cap OLD type
Personna blue (5)
Stirling synthetic brush
Cella soap
Osma alum block
Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

More comfortable than yesterday's Single Ring shave, but not quite as close.

OCtober 18
Gillette NEW LC
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OCtober 18/shave 9

Thin cap OLD type
Bolzano (5, I believe)
Chinese badger brush
RR blue barber triple milled soap.

Turns out I was apprehensive for nothing. Paid extra attention, and had a glorious shave.
One little weeper due to a bump under my jaw that any razor could have nicked, zero alum burn, and wonderfully smooth cheeks, jaw, and neck. I'm confident I can repeat this for the next two shaves, and a little bit sorry I'm going to change up again on Sunday due to work travel and a requirement for daily shaves. I won't push it that far...
OCtober 18.jpg

OC-TOBER shave 16:

Razor: Gillette Single Ring 1910
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Additional Care:
Razorock Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

Just a tad more pressure is needed with the mighty 16g Phoenix Bakelite IME Adam. :wink2:

Thanks, it makes sense, but there's always that adjustment, getting to know you period. I have maybe a dozen shaves with this razor, and the earlier ones were not great, but the last couple have been very good, so I'll keep at it.

Thank you yes they got it all and I will be fine. Chicks dig scars, right? [emoji23]

Rest and recuperate. I don't know what I'd do if I had to miss shaves. Probably start man-scaping everywhere else.

Gillette Popular#46 this morning with Astra SP blade, Arko soap and Wilkinson Sword brush. Excellent comfortable shave

Have a great day all

OCtober 19, 2017
Wolfman Ti OC (0.74 blade gap)
Personna 74 (4)
WDC-8 with Druida Manchurian
C&S Oxford and Cambridge Shaving Soap
Fine Lavender

10/19-21: Double Open Comb (DOC Evolution). Not the mild cast alloy DOC (modelled on the Grand Shave King) that Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements also sells. Made in the US, this 3 piece is beautifully machined and finished from solid stainless. The blade is located with very precise double pins that are a close fit into counterbores in the baseplate that clamps the blade exactly. The DOC provides significant blade exposure. The handle supplied with the razor was rather light so I substituted a Stirling Fort Worth. The heavy diamond knurled, pentagonal handle brings out the best (and worst!) in this razor and provides nearly perfect balance if gripped around the zig-zag diamond knurling. Use a good sharp blade, concentrate and it can give the closest shave outside a high end barbershop. A careless mistake and your face can end up looking rather like the handle of the moonjava brush that’s in the picture.

DOC.JPG

Fatip Grande w/ Merkur Super Platinum (1)
Palmolive/Kiss My Face unscented superlather
Fine Badger
Mennen Afta

The Fatip is one of my newer open comb acquisitions. Haven't shaved with it a lot. Therefore, I cannot yet join the chorus of those who sing its praises. Not a bad shave, just a couple of nicks. But I have razors that provide better, effortless shaves. OCtober challenges my technique with razors I haven't used a lot, because I no sooner get used to one, then I switch. Or, switch before I've nailed down technique. So, I'm not denouncing the Grande, just hoping I can master it. Maybe with a Fatip February.

The Merkur blade surprised me. I see a lot of members condemning this blade--for cost, but also for performance. I got this one included in a recent purchase of a Futur and thought the blade was fine. Not Gillette Platinum Plus good, but certainly not terrible, at least not in the Fatip Grande.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
We're in the second pairing of the second Phase now so beginning comparisons between blade types as well as razors. Today it is one of my GEM MMOC with a GEM Stainless (likely coated) blade that will be the first shave on that blade. I did palm strop it before starting.

Second pair from the right:
proxy.php

As usual, the MMOC was less efficient on the first pass than my DEs but more efficient on the second against the grain and diagonals strokes pass. The result as expected was a PDG near perfect two pass and touchup shave but maybe slightly less pleasant than with the Gillette late model Old. It was not really a matter of either being unpleasant but rather with the Gillette late model Old I really hated not being able to find one more spot to touchup or one patch I missed.

proxy.php

Today I returned to the Old Spice soap and the brush is what seems to be a miss labeled Vie-Long, sold as the lessor grade but actually only pure blonde horse hair. It's another brush I really enjoy but I have to admit I've never noticed the funky smell some folk claim. Maybe it's just that I got to spend a lot of time around horses (she loved to ride and so I rode too) and remember one great jumper, a strawberry roan. Well actually she stopped right before the jump and it was I who cleared all three rails without even brushing a bar. I walked the roan back to the barn even though the roan was more than capable of leading me all the way and the vision of heaven rode beside me and hardly even laughed. (but she sounded so cute when she laughed, the vision not the roan though she laughed too, I had to laugh and that really really hurt).

I ended with some Clubman.

The two shaves were equally good and there was nothing wrong at all with either but the late model Gillette Old was just plain more fun to use, but only slightly.

Shave #19
Had a rough shave a few days ago and used my milder Merkur OC since then. Today I went back to my Gillette SC with some Noxema and Nivea to help leading to a much better shave.
20171019_104745.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Maybe with a Fatip February.

The Merkur blade surprised me. I see a lot of members condemning this blade--for cost, but also for performance. I got this one included in a recent purchase of a Futur and thought the blade was fine. Not Gillette Platinum Plus good, but certainly not terrible, at least not in the Fatip Grande.
There's a Fatip February? :001_huh: If so Woo Hoo! :w00t:

I don't mind Merkur blades at all. I wouldn't buy a hundred especially at the price, but over all it's not a bad blade.

Top Bottom