not particularly dangerous to humans
google camel spiders in iraq
get huge!

camel spider or wind scorpion
an arachnid of sorts
not particularly dangerous to humans
google camel spiders in iraq
get huge!

That is what i thought, this one will not have the chance to get huge, as I was forced to whack it with my shoe. I have seen another one run like crazy fast in my backyard before and was almost twice as big!

All of the above not excluding Legions cat being dragged off!

Edit: On second thought... no pic of the bite :scared:

Alright I will spare you on the bite, but here is me shooting spider webs...

proxy.php

May be the funny Australians can show us the rest... :)

Last edited:
That's not a Brown recluse spider I'm pretty sure, they are way fatter in the abdomin.

Oh, I know it is not, because I killed the one that bit me. I thought it may be is the camel spider but was not sure as there are like 150 different once, and i think they are actually not spiders!

Your in Vegas so Solifugae or Wind Scorpion or Camel Spider. Its not poisonious but they do have a pretty painful bite. I used to see them at night when I worked outdoors. Now I am a little south of you but we both get Bark Scorpions in addition to the Widows & Recluses, the Bark Scorpions are nasty little buggers only about an inch long but pretty poisonious to kids and adults if allergic. I found one of those on my patio two days ago, dead thankfully, that the night before we had been barefoot on while having a drink & a cigar. Be careful of those as a friends wife went to pick up a piece of "fuzz" on the carpet one late night and only missed getting stung because it moved!

http://www.spiderzrule.com/wind.htm

Jay

Your in Vegas so Solifugae or Wind Scorpion or Camel Spider. Its not poisonious but they do have a pretty painful bite. I used to see them at night when I worked outdoors. Now I am a little south of you but we both get Bark Scorpions in addition to the Widows & Recluses, the Bark Scorpions are nasty little buggers only about an inch long but pretty poisonious to kids and adults if allergic. I found one of those on my patio two days ago, dead thankfully, that the night before we had been barefoot on while having a drink & a cigar. Be careful of those as a friends wife went to pick up a piece of "fuzz" on the carpet one late night and only missed getting stung because it moved!

http://www.spiderzrule.com/wind.htm

Jay

Wow, thanks for the tip on the scorpions, never heard of them before, and hope me or my family don't have encounters with them! Just read a good tip to put my baby's crib legs in glass jars as scorpions can't climb on glass!

Argh that Gif makes memories come back to me about living in Goulburn (smaller inland town in Australia, lots of bush around). So many of those huge huntsman style spiders that seem to be able to open doors themselves, let themselves inside for the warmth, then wave and say "ohhh haiiii " on the walls while your trying to relax.

Out of a sheer instinct reaction, I killed one with an eBay katana! bug spray doesn't do much on these beggers. I had one recently in my house, and emptied half a can of outdoor baygon/mortein on it, just sat there swaying back and forth like it had drunk a 6 pack, cue bucket of water, and the seat up on the toilet. Success.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Can someone identify this spider or whatever it is, that is freaking my girl out.Is it camel/sun spider, this one was like inch , inch and half just the body, Thanks in advance!

proxy.php

proxy.php
Zee:
That Camel Spider reminds of the spiders I saw (and was afraid of for good reason), when I was 'down range' during the Gulf War I (Operation Desert Shield / Storm), and they were kind of big...yeech!! :a38:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
That's a good sized huntsman there legion. You must have lots of cockroaches in Canberra or did they eat them all & now they're after cats haha.

That's not me, but when I was in Canberra (I'm in Melbourne now) we had ones that made that one seem like a baby. One house I lived in, in particular. And for some reason they loved the old car I was driving back then, which was always parked outside under trees. So you'd be in traffic on your way to work, while at the same time doing the spider shuffle trying to avoid these things as they ran around inside the car. Good times...

That's not me, but when I was in Canberra (I'm in Melbourne now) we had ones that made that one seem like a baby. One house I lived in, in particular. And for some reason they loved the old car I was driving back then, which was always parked outside under trees. So you'd be in traffic on your way to work, while at the same time doing the spider shuffle trying to avoid these things as they ran around inside the car. Good times...

exact same thing happened to me when i lived there, there is absolutely no where to pull over when there's a dirty big bloody huntsman sitting on your head!

They're really interesting creatures, IMO. Solifugids are not dangerous at all but can deliver a painful bite due to the size and strength of their jaws. They do not "attack" people; what happens is they run towards darkness whenever they see something approaching and that "darkness" might be your shadow :lol: They're also incredibly fast which doesn't help folks overcome their arachnophobia very well.

was just talking to a mate of mine, he rang to say he just got himself a new pet (he keeps reptiles) he got some sort of spider that he has to feed whole mice too! apparently its huge and he spent the first day making sure the lid was snug on the tank

Top Bottom