What's new

November 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

still in - DFS+ with a British Gen3 Aristo and a King C. Gillette (5)
IMG_0778.jpg

Day 18, 60% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Since it got late, had a quick (but all passes) shave, and was slightly surprised to get a near-BBS with no irritation. There's a lot to be said for developing good autopilot.

Had some Black Friday emails from the usual suspects, but resisted the urge. Stay strong!

Still in, still breaking in my unbleached Zenith and trying out a Voskhod in my slant (struggling to get the blade aligned evenly between both sides (one side has a larger blade gap, the other has less blade gap but more blade exposure)).

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins and Brimble Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave oil
- TOBS Jermyn Street Cream (Sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Esteem Unscented Post Shave Balm

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile Slant
- Voskhod (1)
- Zenith 80B Unbleached Boar

Fragrance for the day:
- Floris Honey OUD EDP

Brethren, I have two pressing questions.

Tomorrow is my birthday.
My wife purchased the wooden Martin de candres bowl in october.
Can she give it to me and can I use it?
And what about the items I ordered and paid for in october that arrived this month.
Can I give those to myself tomorrow and use them?

Brethren, I have two pressing questions.

Tomorrow is my birthday.
My wife purchased the wooden Martin de candres bowl in october.
Can she give it to me and can I use it?
And what about the items I ordered and paid for in october that arrived this month.
Can I give those to myself tomorrow and use them?
How do you feel about it?

The core of the GRUME is to not purchase shaving stuff during it’s duration.
Personally I wouldn’t anger my wife by rejecting a well thought out present that was agreed upon on ahead of the GRUME - would you?

Also this is your first GRUME so naturally stuff arrives that is already paid for. Again I guess your decision was to not spend money THIS month and you can still decide what to use and what not.

So stay strong and enjoy your Birthday 🎂

If you stay on track and join the December GRUME as well then all the overlap should be done and dusted.

Personally I wouldn’t anger my wife by rejecting a well thought out present that was agreed upon on ahead of the GRUME - would you?

Also this is your first GRUME so naturally stuff arrives that is already paid for. Again I guess your decision was to not spend money THIS month and you can still decide what to use and what not.

If you stay on track and join the December GRUME as well then all the overlap should be done and dusted.
That is an eloquent and wise answer.
Thank you, and stay safe during the lockdown 😒

This would be my take as well.

A gift doesn’t knock you out of GRUME nor does receiving shaving gear that you paid for during a non-GRUME month. Buying IN MONTH puts you out if you receive it or not.

I appreciate the answer, and may I say I am pleased with it too?
You may. :LMS

To sum: Both purchases were in October and, therefore, are not counted against November.

One minor clarification:
3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask for (or even hint at) shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.

Again, the purchase happened in October, so this is likely moot. However, if you're in a moral quandary, you can go back to what @Multum in parvo said: you could choose to eschew using the MdC in November and then go to town on it in December with a completely clear conscience. :)

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Nacet (14)
  • Stirling Orange Chill + Omega Eucalyptus
  • Shavemac Butterscotch Beagle Fan
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Stirling Bergamot Lavender AS
I used Tallowbac for all of Tabactober and then kept using it. However, I've noticed an "open spot" in my jar - horrors! - so I've put it away with the hope that there will be enough left to get me through another Tabactober. At that point, I'll guess I'll have to make a trade.

For the moment, though, and despite the cool and drizzly weather, I went back to the Stirling OC with a dab of Omega cream. This combination, whipped up with the Beagle, gives a wonderfully slick and cohesive lather with minimal effort. That's exactly how I like it.

Onward!

Top Bottom