What's new

Noob Intro

Hi
My name is David, I'm an older dude who has used a Trac II forever. I decided to put some luxury into my shaving life and go DE. Thanks to info from the users here, I recently bought a Merkur Progress, and I have a '66 Gillette Adjustable Slim Handle on the way.

Had my first shave today, pretty good at setting 2.5! Don't need a transfusion yet!:001_rolle

So just a shout out - and a thanks for the info and community! -David

Hi
My name is David, I'm an older dude who has used a Trac II forever. I decided to put some luxury into my shaving life and go DE. Thanks to info from the users here, I recently bought a Merkur Progress, and I have a '66 Gillette Adjustable Slim Handle on the way.

Had my first shave today, pretty good at setting 2.5! Don't need a transfusion yet!:001_rolle

So just a shout out - and a thanks for the info and community! -David
Welcome David...what was your routine to get started?

Hi Alex

Thanks for the welcome!

First, unbox the Merkur Progress. While loading the blade the adjustment part came out - guess I was too enthusiastic - that was a puzzle for a bit. Reread parts of the wiki here...

It was afternoon, so no shower. Washed the new brush in hot water and shaving soap, rinsed, worked up another bowl of lather. Worked it into my beard with the brush for a good minute, then hot face cloth to the face for a couple, wipe off the lather, lather up fresh again, and start with the MP at 1, turns out 2.5-3 works better. First pass wtg, lather up and go xtg, lather up and go atg. Smooth and sweet. Results pretty good, I need to map out the sides if my neck and around the jawline for a better atg there, but good enuf to start. Lots easier than I expected. Quite a luxury to enjoy after decades of Trac II and electrics...

Last edited:
Hi Alex

Thanks for the welcome!

First, unbox the Merkur Progress. While loading the blade the adjustment part came out - guess I was too enthusiastic - that was a puzzle for a bit. Reread parts of the wiki here...

It was afternoon, so no shower. Washed the new brush in hot water and shaving soap, rinsed, worked up another bowl of lather. Worked it into my beard with the brush for a good minute, then hot face cloth to the face for a couple, wipe off the lather, lather up fresh again, and start with the MP at 1, turns out 2.5-3 works better. First pass wtg, lather up and go xtg, lather up and go atg. Smooth and sweet. Results pretty good, I need to map out the sides if my neck and around the jawline for a better atg there, but good enuf to start. Lots easier than I expected. Quite a luxury to enjoy after decades of Trac II and electrics...

How did it fall out, was it already dismantled?

As I unscrewed the adjustment knob to loosen the top, I didn't realize the upward force needed to release the top of the head, so I kept turning and next thing I know the long adjustment assembly was in my hand. For a short while I thought that was the way it was designed:ohmy:. The compressible washer was jammed into the adjustment assembly, and was incompressible. I pulled it off the bottom assembly, once it was loose it was obvious how to compress and get everything back together. I understand criticisms that the engineering could stand a bit more finesse…:laugh:. Once reassembled the weight and balance feels really nice in my hand. No apparent asymmetries in the head.

The design issue is easy to deal with once you know, maybe a brief illustrated package insert...

Top Bottom