What's new

Newbie with RAD

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hello Doug,

Looks great that you seem to know what you're looking for.

My only concern is you might be eliminating some really great razors.

For example Gillette slims, fat boys and even Baili ttos are really wonderful razors.
Also modern vs vintage is something I'll avoid. The fact many vintage razors are around today says a lot about their durability.

A lot of modern razors are rather aggressive like the game changer 0.84 or like a karve are very heavy.

Vintage:
Gillette slim
Gillette tech made in England
Modern:
Karve b plate 3" handle.
Fatip Gentile closed comb

Cheers
Actually I only have uneducated guesses, just want a back-up close to the Feather. Thanks for the tips!
Doug

Actually I only have uneducated guesses, just want a back-up close to the Feather. Thanks for the tips!
Doug

I have never tried a feather razor before but like you I generally prefer mild razors.

My take is there is a very thin line between mild and almost useless lol.

My favorite razor is the Gillette English Tech as its really mild yet works across a wide range of angles from steep to shallow. The head could better support the blade, cover the exposed tabs, the handle could be fatter and heavier but as a razor it works amazingly well.

The slim is really a great fun but seems to reward shallow angle shaves. At setting 3 I have to sometimes apply more pressure than necessary to get to some stubborn stubble.

The Karve is a really good razor but suffers from excessive weight and is what I call the strong silent type. I can barely feel what's going on until I get a weeper or touch my face to feel if there are any stubble left. Being a newbie I blame my technique.

I wish I was a machinist as I had to make some dive gear harness and getting a local shop to create them was an awful experience.

Just to note: the Razorock DE1 is a Tech head clone with no overhang and very forgiving on angles and pressure. Great beginner shaver especially when paired with Gillette Platinum blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
RAD can be quite overpowering. But I believe that everyone should have a Gillette Tech in their arsenal. Once you get one Tech you might want to collect one of each type of Tech. We will see which way you go.

Welcome aboard Doug

All good advice so far, I will just echo others and advise you to stick to the same set up for a while before branching out. It takes a little bit of time to learn good technique and dial in a new razor.

good luck, enjoy your shaves and keep us posted :001_tongu

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Just to note: the Razorock DE1 is a Tech head clone with no overhang and very forgiving on angles and pressure. Great beginner shaver especially when paired with Gillette Platinum blades.
+1
Just put an Astra SP in the DE1 last night and got my closest shave ever!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Welcome aboard Doug

All good advice so far, I will just echo others and advise you to stick to the same set up for a while before branching out. It takes a little bit of time to learn good technique and dial in a new razor.

good luck, enjoy your shaves and keep us posted :001_tongu
+1

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
RAD can be quite overpowering. But I believe that everyone should have a Gillette Tech in their arsenal. Once you get one Tech you might want to collect one of each type of Tech. We will see which way you go.
+1
I am told I have 4 Tech's being shipped my way, and a box after Nacet's. Will keep posted.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Getting used to my Razorock DE1 with Astra SP blades. I am getting closer shaves, getting better at my jawline, that is my trouble spot. I have noticed the blades seem to start tugging on day 3, and I get a weeper on day 4. Maybe it is my technique, but at twenty cents a blade, I'm am gonna toss my blades after 2 shaves.
Today I am gonna load up my Feather Popular with an Astra SP and use it for touch-up.

I have a 72 Travel Tech I got for 10 bucks on the bay coming this Friday.

In the meantime I have come up with a new list of 3 piece razors while I wait.

EJ89BL-$37.00
Fatip Classic Testina Gentile-$32.50
Fine Accutraments-$40.00
Maggard MR 11, MR 14, MR1-$29.95
Merkur 42C 1904 Classic-$30.75
Muhle R89 Chrome-$56.00
Parker 97R Chrome-$27.70

I have chosen the Fatip Classic Testina Gentile as my top choice based on recommendations from B&B.
Next, I just like the way the Maggard razors look. Recommendations??
And the Merkur 42 C 1904 Classic is just waiting for me...........

These are current prices today 3/3/19 and do not include shipping.

My wife was just complaining to me today that my shaving supplies are taking up more space than her make-up on the counter (Not True!) and she doesn't like the smell of my Sandalwood Taylor cream.
So I think you know what that means, I mean, if I have to buy some shaving soap anyway....................
I'm pretty sure I can get a razor and some soap for under $50.00 and she spends that much on her stuff in the blink of an eye-lash!

Doug
I can't ask my dad for shaving advise so I came here

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Doug,

You fallen in and can't get up from the hole you dug lol!
Pls start with cheap soaps like this.
TFS Traditional Shaving Soap Block 1000 ml
Or arko or poraso... Scrap arko since your better half hates the smell of Sandalwood Taylor cream, the smell of arko will drive her insane lol.
Dillon,

I'm looking at
Mike’s Natural Soaps Lime Artisan Shaving Soap, 5oz
Taylor of Old Bond Street Lemon Lime Shave Cream, 150g

Parker 97R Chrome Handle Closed Comb DE Safety Razor
Merkur 42C 1904 Classic Chrome Closed Comb DE Safety Razor
Fatip Classic Testina Gentile Chrome Finish Closed Comb DE Safety Razor

The razors are at $30 and the soaps are $15 in stock today. So 1 soap and 1 razor would be under $50 with tax and shipping.
Doug

Buddy,

I'm curious why you would buy so many razors at a go lol.

Soaps I suppose can be used for other stuff.

Top Bottom