What's new

Newbie with RAD

RAD is fun, but you need to stop & learn proper technique & what effect each component has on the quality of your shave. Many recommend, myself included, on doing the Fixed 4. That is where you use the same razor, brand of blade, soap/cream, & brush for 4 weeks. You learn to become a better shaver & you learn your equipment as well. Changing blades & razors & soaps daily or weekly only delays learning proper technique. Each razor shaves different, each blade shaves different, etc. I've got/had RAD, SAD, & BAD. I didn't want to wait & take the time to use the same gear for a month. I wanted to buy, buy, buy! I'm glad I did the Fixed 4. I learned a great deal. I hope you will consider doing this.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
RAD is fun, but you need to stop & learn proper technique & what effect each component has on the quality of your shave. Many recommend, myself included, on doing the Fixed 4. That is where you use the same razor, brand of blade, soap/cream, & brush for 4 weeks. You learn to become a better shaver & you learn your equipment as well. Changing blades & razors & soaps daily or weekly only delays learning proper technique. Each razor shaves different, each blade shaves different, etc. I've got/had RAD, SAD, & BAD. I didn't want to wait & take the time to use the same gear for a month. I wanted to buy, buy, buy! I'm glad I did the Fixed 4. I learned a great deal. I hope you will consider doing this.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

+1
@dmshaver, I need to be ready after week 4!!!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hey Gents,

First off I wanted to thank all of you who chimed in with advise, mainly to be patient.

Here is an update on my RAD------>
2 weeks ago a 67 Tech I had bid on for $7.95 showed up and gave me a great shave with a Feather blade.

The next day a ND Tech, a 64 Slim, and a New Short Comb showed up- a Surprise PIF!!!
:a50:Wow, what an introduction to :badger::a50:

Then a 73 Travel Tech followed by a 53 Tech and an English Tech.
All for less than $40 :a29:and yes, I am getting great shaves.

Is 5 Techs enough???

Doug

Hey Gents,

First off I wanted to thank all of you who chimed in with advise, mainly to be patient.

Here is an update on my RAD------>
2 weeks ago a 67 Tech I had bid on for $7.95 showed up and gave me a great shave with a Feather blade.

The next day a ND Tech, a 64 Slim, and a New Short Comb showed up- a Surprise PIF!!!
:a50:Wow, what an introduction to :badger::a50:

Then a 73 Travel Tech followed by a 53 Tech and an English Tech.
All for less than $40 :a29:and yes, I am getting great shaves.

Is 5 Techs enough???

Doug

Hi Doug,

Great that you're having wonderful shaves n having 5 techs is a good start lol.

Time to start getting more OC razors lol.

NSC is a great start but there's the NLC, RFB, Delux etc etc.

UK_Long_Combs.jpg

britnewcomparo2.jpg

vhandleswbrit.jpg

handles1.2.1.jpg

Good luck and happy shaves,

Mawashi

So now you have a tribe of techs and a de1, what's your favorite razor blade combo right now? What tracks the smoothest on your skin? JM

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
So now you have a tribe of techs and a de1, what's your favorite razor blade combo right now? What tracks the smoothest on your skin? JM
Right now I would have to say my New Short Comb with an Astra SP is my favorite, that might change tomorrow. I have yet to put a Feather blade in it.

That being said, my 53 Tech with a Feather, I could not feel the blade as my hair just dissapeared.

Not to be outdone, the English Tech with an Astra SP was unbelievably smooth, but left my neck with some irritation.
I have some Nacets and GSBs that I have yet to try out, now I just need to figure out a rotation! Lol
Doug

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tech and a feather is a classic combination for sure. I may have to tee those up myself ;-) Enjoy the ride, JM

Right now I would have to say my New Short Comb with an Astra SP is my favorite, that might change tomorrow. I have yet to put a Feather blade in it.

That being said, my 53 Tech with a Feather, I could not feel the blade as my hair just dissapeared.

Not to be outdone, the English Tech with an Astra SP was unbelievably smooth, but left my neck with some irritation.
I have some Nacets and GSBs that I have yet to try out, now I just need to figure out a rotation! Lol
Doug

What's interesting to me is i found the NSC a little too aggressive the US techs too mild and the English Tech perfect lol.
The other thing could be astra tamed the NSC enough for you as I used nacets in mine. The English Tech might work super for u if I has an astra in it.

But the fun is also trying new stuff. I don't have a super speed yet but my rockets are awesome.
Here's some discussions about them.
Best Gillette Super Speed

I'm real happy the razors are working out for you.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
What's interesting to me is i found the NSC a little too aggressive the US techs too mild and the English Tech perfect lol.
The other thing could be astra tamed the NSC enough for you as I used nacets in mine. The English Tech might work super for u if I has an astra in it.

But the fun is also trying new stuff. I don't have a super speed yet but my rockets are awesome.
Here's some discussions about them.
Best Gillette Super Speed

I'm real happy the razors are working out for you.

Cheers,

Mawashi
No, the fun is trying the new Old Stuff!

I skipped shaving last night so I could try the 53 Tech tonight with 2 days growth. It still had the Feather in it, 2 shaves. I got a clean shave, but it was tugging and needed more passes than the NSC. I have some Nacets and GSBs coming tomorrow......... I'm thinking a GSB in the 53 Tech
Rosseforp

No, the fun is trying the new Old Stuff!

I skipped shaving last night so I could try the 53 Tech tonight with 2 days growth. It still had the Feather in it, 2 shaves. I got a clean shave, but it was tugging and needed more passes than the NSC. I have some Nacets and GSBs coming tomorrow......... I'm thinking a GSB in the 53 Tech
Rosseforp

Hi Doug

Touché, new Vintage stuff lol. To say that reverse engineering hasn't quite worked is an understatement lol. The vintage stuff still works great!

I'm constantly impressed by my vintage straights, DEs etc, by how well a they feel in your hands as they remove the fuzz.

Granted I've not had the pleasure of using something truly premium like a timeless, wolfman or ATT or charcoal goods but so far few of any of the modern razors can capture the simplicity n soul of a vintage. The slims / fat boys, rockets, techs, NEWs and olds are really special. Their charm is you get what you put in em whereas a lot of modern are simple, aggressive cutting machines. Little finesse just point n scrape n hopefully don't get a nick.

I'm going to try the NSC with a Nacet again lol.

Happy shaves buddy!

Mawashi

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hi All,

I just wanted to post an update on my RAD. I now have a 67 Tech, a ND Tech, a 72 Travel Tech, a 53 Tech, a 46-51 England Tech, and a 60's England Tech. I also have a 64 Gillette Slim, a 54 Super Speed Flare Tip, and a New Short Comb (it has all 3 patent #'s) so probably a 31.
I still have the Chieftain and the Razorock DE1, I gave the Feather Popular to a friend that is using a VDH.

So I flipped a coin and threw a dart and ordered a SchOne OC.

No, actually I really like the shaves I get from my NSC, and I have been following some admiration threads on OC Razors. Both the SchOne OC and the Fatip Grande seem to get a lot of love here, so I ordered both. I got the SchOne yesterday, and I am getting the Fatip Piccolo Special Black Nickle with the Grande and Gentile head next week.

Sad to say, but the reports of the SchOne OC having blade alignment problems are true. The pins on the cap are .187" and the receiving holes in the baseplate measure .203". That my friends is .016" or .4mm of play. You can get the blade aligned, but it is a PITA.
All is not lost as I made some alignment bushings and now the fit is perfect. I made them so you can remove them after tightening the blade, but I forgot and left them in for tonight's shave. They add 1.5 grams.

After all that, I gave it a drive with a Feather and it delivered. For a razor with a .010" blade gap it is anything but mild, more like a Slim on 9. If you keep the blade neutral it is very smooth and efficient, but it lets you know it is there.
My face is like glass, my neck is clean. 1 pass WTG and 1 pass XTG face, and 1 pass N-S neck. I don't feel any irritation at all. I also don't want to use this razor every day. I will give it another go tomorrow without the alignment bushings!
20190330_191219.jpg
20190330_192317.jpg
20190330_192415.jpg

Hi All,

I just wanted to post an update on my RAD. I now have a 67 Tech, a ND Tech, a 72 Travel Tech, a 53 Tech, a 46-51 England Tech, and a 60's England Tech. I also have a 64 Gillette Slim, a 54 Super Speed Flare Tip, and a New Short Comb (it has all 3 patent #'s) so probably a 31.
I still have the Chieftain and the Razorock DE1, I gave the Feather Popular to a friend that is using a VDH.

So I flipped a coin and threw a dart and ordered a SchOne OC.

No, actually I really like the shaves I get from my NSC, and I have been following some admiration threads on OC Razors. Both the SchOne OC and the Fatip Grande seem to get a lot of love here, so I ordered both. I got the SchOne yesterday, and I am getting the Fatip Piccolo Special Black Nickle with the Grande and Gentile head next week.

Sad to say, but the reports of the SchOne OC having blade alignment problems are true. The pins on the cap are .187" and the receiving holes in the baseplate measure .203". That my friends is .016" or .4mm of play. You can get the blade aligned, but it is a PITA.
All is not lost as I made some alignment bushings and now the fit is perfect. I made them so you can remove them after tightening the blade, but I forgot and left them in for tonight's shave. They add 1.5 grams.

After all that, I gave it a drive with a Feather and it delivered. For a razor with a .010" blade gap it is anything but mild, more like a Slim on 9. If you keep the blade neutral it is very smooth and efficient, but it lets you know it is there.
My face is like glass, my neck is clean. 1 pass WTG and 1 pass XTG face, and 1 pass N-S neck. I don't feel any irritation at all. I also don't want to use this razor every day. I will give it another go tomorrow without the alignment bushings!
View attachment 968064 View attachment 968065 View attachment 968066

Shucks but the fact you can fix the issue is great. Since I'm not a fan of aggressive razors I might give em a pass for now.

I have plenty of aggressive razors in the form of straight razors lol.

You're going to try it wo brushing! Wow that's brave. I'll send it back so I don't have to mess about alignment. I'll have to say it gives a clean shave though.

Cheers buddy and unlike others u can fix any issues.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Last edited:

The extent of your detail freakery is admirable Prof. :wink2:

I would appreciate you casting your vote hereupload_2019-4-15_16-17-19.png. :001_smile

Regarding the alignment of Fatip and Schöne (made by Fatip) three piece DE razors, the standard Fatip user's blade loading method mentioned in this post may be of help. It's certainly less time consuming.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Regarding the alignment of Fatip and Schöne (made by Fatip) three piece DE razors, the standard Fatip user's blade loading method mentioned in this post may be of help. It's certainly less time consuming.
Surprisingly, even though both the SchOne and Fatip are made at the same company and look identical, they are not.
When I compared the 2 under magnification, they even have identical tooling marks. Even the burrs are the same. Yes, they don't properly deburr the holes.

Hey, I am a machinist, I notice these things, and I have a J & L Comparator at work.

What doesn't make any sense at all, is the Fatip is very easy to align, but the SchOne is a PITA. Or I should say WAS, I sent it back.

I had to send the SchOne back, as I am now a card carrying member of not only PLC, but I just found out I have been drafted into BOSC.........

You guys are nuts, wait, is that a mirror I am pointing at?????

Happy Shaves
Doug

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The extent of your detail freakery is admirable Prof. :wink2:
As I had already made some bushings for the SchOne, I made these nice ones for the Fatip to show my love.

20190410_204613.jpg

Attachments

• 20190410_204848.jpg
    20190410_204848.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190410_204940.jpg
    20190410_204940.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20190410_205110.jpg
    20190410_205110.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20190410_205209.jpg