What's new

Newbie with RAD

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Greetings all.
I just started DE shaving 5 weeks ago after decades of disappointing electric shaves.
After too little web searching and Amazon reviews I jumped in and got a Vikings Blade Chieftain.
Advertised as a beginner razor I have found it too aggressive for me and I switched to a Feather Popular for $16 and have had much better results. 4 shaves in a row with no nicks, cuts, or weepers on the same blade.
I have ordered a Razorock DE1 based on a lot of popular reviews here. The claim is it shaves just like a Gillette Tech.

Now on to my RAD.
I am looking to add another razor with these parameters.
1. 3 piece razor.
2. Light, as in under 70 grams.
3. Closed-bar style, NO combs or scallops.
4. Non-adjustable style.
5. Multiple base plates acceptable.
6. Blade gap less than .73mm.
7. Blade protrusion from cap 1.16mm or greater.
8. Titanium, aluminum, SS, or brass acceptable materials.
9. Modern.
10. Cost-don't want to limit myself here as I have pretty much ruled-out every Parker, Merkur, Muhle, EJ, and Gillette.
11. I plan on using Feather or Astra SP blades.
12. At least 2 picks please.

Thanks all
Happy shaving!
Doug

I believe you need to work on your technique further (applying no pressure). Keep at it with those mild razors that you already own. Use the Astra SP blades only. Razorock DE1 is excellent, so don't rotate razors, stick with it. Less variable is better for learning.

Congratulations on getting multiple shaves in a row without nicks, weepers, etc.! :a14::a14:

It takes me awhile to ‘dial in’ any new razor, pick favorite blades, etc., etc. Given that you are new, there are also variables like figuring out how to make a lather, changing technique, etc.

My guess is that you will progress faster by sticking with one set up for now!! After your technique is fairly solid, you can start the search for your ‘destination razor.’ Otherwise, you may end up revisiting your current hardware only to find out that it was far better than you initially thought! Just my $0.02!

Agree with previous posters.

After more experience, you might move on to a nice vintage Tech...or try something like a Fatip. But don't be in a hurry, sir.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks for the replies and I totally agree that my technique needs work. A lot of work. But you must remember when you were a newbie, RAD is hard to tame.

This is where I believe I am at.
1. I am using only Taylor of Old Bond cream and a synthetic brush, a White Knight. A little lather goes a LONG way.
2. I have taken the Chieftain out of my rotation until I have more experience. I did have a few OK shaves with Astra SP's.
3. The Feather Popular and Hi Stainless blades scared me the first try, but after two weeks of comfortable shaves and very few surprises, it will be my #1 razor and blade. I found the balance point immediately, and barely hold it between my thumb and forefinger. It seems to find it's own angle, where I can hear it but not feel it. Of course my neck is still challenging. Only downside is the handle a little too long.
4. OF COURSE I WANT A GILLETTE TECH!
5. Eagerly awaiting my Razorock DE1. I will take it to work and take some close measurements on our Micro-Vu comparator( An extremely accurate non-contact measuring device) when it arrives. I will try and wait at least a week before I try it out.
6. This leaves me with only 1 razor in my rotation and my RAD sneaking up on me.
7. As I might not find the DE1 forgiving enough for my skill level, I want to start looking for a back-up that is similar to my Feather Popular-light-closed bar-no micro comb-small blade gap.
8. Yes, I do have some razors in mind.
9. My choices are at this time based on inexperience.
10. I have RAD, but I will not put another razor in my rotation besides the DE1 for at least a month.

Doug
i can't ask my dad for shaving advise so I came here

I agree with the other guys. Stick with 1 setup for a couple of months.

But to play along. I think you weight rules out most of the stainless steel options. Probably the brass options like Karve too. A Titanium razor will be expensive.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I agree with the other guys. Stick with 1 setup for a couple of months.

But to play along. I think you weight rules out most of the stainless steel options. Probably the brass options like Karve too. A Titanium razor will be expensive.

Agree on all points.

I machine Titanium for a living and work for a medical manufacturing device company. So I understand material and machining costs. You would probably cry if you saw some of the Titanium scrap we send to be recycled. We get $2 a lb. for the scrap.

Karve makes exquisite razors and I appreciate that. Is there a model that you have used?

There are also companies that make Titanium razors from very affordable to maybe on my Birthday wish list! OCT 28th in case anyone is watching. LOL

Yes, I will be sticking to just my Feather for now, but I am really interested a really nice mild razor that I will be proud to not only use every day, but display. I can look at razors all day, but you guys here have used them.

Thanks Doug

Tastes change. A guy who starts out convinced he likes mild razors and small badger brushes can in a couple years turn into a fella in love with assertive shavers and big boars. It just takes a while to get there.

BTW, some of us go gaga over soaps, brushes, aftershaves. Lots of ways to save, er, spend $$.

Wishing you joy with every shave!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tastes change. A guy who starts out convinced he likes mild razors and small badger brushes can in a couple years turn into a fella in love with assertive shavers and big boars. It just takes a while to get there.

BTW, some of us go gaga over soaps, brushes, aftershaves. Lots of ways to save, er, spend $$.

Wishing you joy with every shave!

That is why I'm keeping my Chieftain. Just out of rotation for now.

source.gif
A tech is always good. I have a couple of them. Got a little RAD myself when I was new. Enjoy and welcome!

Welcome and enjoy your journey. would it be a good adventure if it ended all too soon? This is the draw of RAD, SAD, BAD, and whatever additional acquisition enablement shaving brings your way. Just remember it CAN become a lifelong -SATISFYING- 'journey' of hot wins, mediocre finds, and times of surprisingly long happiness!

'sides... we're all here for ya! (da fringe benefit)

Greetings all.
I just started DE shaving 5 weeks ago after decades of disappointing electric shaves.
After too little web searching and Amazon reviews I jumped in and got a Vikings Blade Chieftain.
Advertised as a beginner razor I have found it too aggressive for me and I switched to a Feather Popular for $16 and have had much better results. 4 shaves in a row with no nicks, cuts, or weepers on the same blade.
I have ordered a Razorock DE1 based on a lot of popular reviews here. The claim is it shaves just like a Gillette Tech.

Now on to my RAD.
I am looking to add another razor with these parameters.
1. 3 piece razor.
2. Light, as in under 70 grams.
3. Closed-bar style, NO combs or scallops.
4. Non-adjustable style.
5. Multiple base plates acceptable.
6. Blade gap less than .73mm.
7. Blade protrusion from cap 1.16mm or greater.
8. Titanium, aluminum, SS, or brass acceptable materials.
9. Modern.
10. Cost-don't want to limit myself here as I have pretty much ruled-out every Parker, Merkur, Muhle, EJ, and Gillette.
11. I plan on using Feather or Astra SP blades.
12. At least 2 picks please.

Thanks all
Happy shaving!
Doug

Hello Doug,

Looks great that you seem to know what you're looking for.

My only concern is you might be eliminating some really great razors.

For example Gillette slims, fat boys and even Baili ttos are really wonderful razors.
Also modern vs vintage is something I'll avoid. The fact many vintage razors are around today says a lot about their durability.

A lot of modern razors are rather aggressive like the game changer 0.84 or like a karve are very heavy.

Vintage:
Gillette slim
Gillette tech made in England
Modern:
Karve b plate 3" handle.
Fatip Gentile closed comb

Cheers

Yes, I will be sticking to just my Feather for now, but I am really interested a really nice mild razor that I will be proud to not only use every day, but display. I can look at razors all day, but you guys here have used them.

You sound to me like you are in the market for a good Injector razor. They are mild, intuitive to use, maneuverable, and (to me) attractive. The blades are more expensive than DE blades, but they last much, much longer. You might enjoy a nice Schick Type O (with single or twin blades), or a PAL Injectomatic, or perhaps a Schick Type D or Type F.

Take a look at this

Society of Injector Shavers (the SISSIES)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Getting those two together may be tough.
For some reason, most modern razors seem to have massive solid handles, while for decades vintage razors had light, often hollow handles.
Tee hee. I have some scrap .550 diameter Titanium at the shop I can make my own handle with!

Top Bottom