What's new

Newbie with RAD

It is only a matter of time before you get a Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC).....

When you put a Personna PTFE blade in it and work out the right angle (actually fairly intuitive) you will get a shave that may make you rethink all the DEs you have been researching. It is THAT good. I resisted buying one for 6 months, but that's history now.

Oh hell I had that when I bought my ERN. I was hooked just seeing all the straights. I normally spend at least an hour on sites looking at razors even when I can't afford them.

It is only a matter of time before you get a Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC).....

When you put a Personna PTFE blade in it and work out the right angle (actually fairly intuitive) you will get a shave that may make you rethink all the DEs you have been researching. It is THAT good. I resisted buying one for 6 months, but that's history now.

Oh hell I had that when I bought my ERN. I was hooked just seeing all the straights. I normally spend at least an hour on sites looking at razors even when I can't afford them.

Rosseforp,

Buddy did I not warn you about the enablers lurking in every corner rofl.

But seriously, a micromatic is a great OC SE but I'm staying away from such toys lest I be drawn into having a more serious case of RAD lol.

A straight... Hmmm lol! Can you at least try out your grandad's straight it looks like a really fine blade lol!

I've got it bad! 16 razors in 5 months. Just got a Gillette blue tip on Kijiji. Last week found a Fatboy for $10 at a antique store which I bought despite having one already. They're all a bit different. New, used, antique. SE, DE and even a 4 edge, which I haven't tried and I'm trying to sell now. I'm a gadget person with too much computer time available! I'm planning to share, sell or just give away the ones I don't like or really use often enough.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I've got it bad! 16 razors in 5 months. Just got a Gillette blue tip on Kijiji. Last week found a Fatboy for $10 at a antique store which I bought despite having one already. They're all a bit different. New, used, antique. SE, DE and even a 4 edge, which I haven't tried and I'm trying to sell now. I'm a gadget person with too much computer time available! I'm planning to share, sell or just give away the ones I don't like or really use often enough.
Hmmm, I'm at 14 razors right now, the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition counts as 2, and I already gave away a Feather Popular and 2 Razorock DE1's, all since the end of January.....

20190403_214455.jpg

Great hobby!!!
Prof

5. Eagerly awaiting my Razorock DE1. I will take it to work and take some close measurements on our Micro-Vu comparator( An extremely accurate non-contact measuring device) when it arrives. I will try and wait at least a week before I try it out.

Doug
i can't ask my dad for shaving advise so I came here

After seeing the name of your fancy machine I tried to read it in my best Marvin Martian voice which wasn't very good. I'm fairly good at voices, but I've always had trouble with MM.

In other news, I'll just echo other posters and say that fewer variables are better than lots. Try to change one thing at a time. Good luck in your search for What Works For You.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
After seeing the name of your fancy machine I tried to read it in my best Marvin Martian voice which wasn't very good. I'm fairly good at voices, but I've always had trouble with MM.

In other news, I'll just echo other posters and say that fewer variables are better than lots. Try to change one thing at a time. Good luck in your search for What Works For You.

@spolct LOL, that was my second posting.

Fortunately for me after that posting I received a PIF that had a No Date Tech, a Slim, and a New Short Comb.
And as much as I agree that the 4 week method is the best for newbies.......

Hey, I am old and have short term memory loss, so 1 week with the same razor is just like 4 weeks to me!!!!!
Trying out new razors is a quick way to find out What Doesn't Work For You, also.

Oh, I am starting week 3 with my new Fatip Piccolo with no nicks, cuts, or weepers. Mike's Natural soaps Lime and Nacets.....

Blazer.png

Prof

Last edited:
Nice,
My New Short Comb is one of my favorite razors, I got it in a PIF.
View attachment 974378 View attachment 974379 View attachment 974380

@spolct LOL, that was my second posting.

Fortunately for me after that posting I received a PIF that had a No Date Tech, a Slim, and a New Short Comb.
And as much as I agree that the 4 week method is the best for newbies.......

Hey, I am old and have short term memory loss, so 1 week with the same razor is just like 4 weeks to me!!!!!
Trying out new razors is a quick way to find out What Doesn't Work For You, also.

Oh, I am starting week 3 with my new Fatip Piccolo with no nicks, cuts, or weepers. Mike's Natural soaps Lime and Nacets.....

View attachment 974450

Prof

The NSC is just a fantastic razor and yours looks great... Mine kidda looks like a fishing weight lol!

Every time I see your fatip and hear how good it is I have to resist getting one now instead of waiting for a good sale :302:!

Cheers buddy.

Mawashi

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Getting used to my Razorock DE1 with Astra SP blades. I am getting closer shaves, getting better at my jawline, that is my trouble spot. I have noticed the blades seem to start tugging on day 3, and I get a weeper on day 4. Maybe it is my technique, but at twenty cents a blade, I'm am gonna toss my blades after 2 shaves.
Today I am gonna load up my Feather Popular with an Astra SP and use it for touch-up.

I have a 72 Travel Tech I got for 10 bucks on the bay coming this Friday.

In the meantime I have come up with a new list of 3 piece razors while I wait.

EJ89BL-$37.00
Fatip Classic Testina Gentile-$32.50
Fine Accutraments-$40.00
Maggard MR 11, MR 14, MR1-$29.95
Merkur 42C 1904 Classic-$30.75
Muhle R89 Chrome-$56.00
Parker 97R Chrome-$27.70

I have chosen the Fatip Classic Testina Gentile as my top choice based on recommendations from B&B.
Next, I just like the way the Maggard razors look. Recommendations??
And the Merkur 42 C 1904 Classic is just waiting for me...........

These are current prices today 3/3/19 and do not include shipping.

My wife was just complaining to me today that my shaving supplies are taking up more space than her make-up on the counter (Not True!) and she doesn't like the smell of my Sandalwood Taylor cream.
So I think you know what that means, I mean, if I have to buy some shaving soap anyway....................
I'm pretty sure I can get a razor and some soap for under $50.00 and she spends that much on her stuff in the blink of an eye-lash!

Doug
I can't ask my dad for shaving advise so I came here
Hey guys,

I wanted to do a follow up on my RAD, and let you know how my DE shaves are going after almost 6 months. When I first posted this I already had a Vikings Blade Chieftain, a Feather Popular, and a Razorock DE1.

After I posted this I got 7 Tech's, from a Prewar to a 1973 Travel Tech, a Slim, a 54 Super Speed Flare Tip, and a New Short Comb.
I then got a ShOne, and a Fatip Piccolo SE, and a Razorock SLOC.

The Chieftain only works with BIC Chrome Platinum's, and is a terribly inefficient razor. I will keep it to remind me not to make that mistake again.

I liked the Feather Popular, but the handle was too long for me and I gave it away as a PIF to a friend that was using a VDH.
I made a couple of nice handles for the 73 Travel Tech and gave it to a friend using a Gillette Fusion as a PIF.
The SchOne had too much blade feel, the quality was poor, one of the pegs broke off the cap and I sent it back.
Adjustable razors are not my style, I will let my son try the Slim before I give it away.
The RR DE1 is a great beginner's razor, I bought 3 of them and gave 2 to friends that were using carts.

My 53 Tech, is ferrous, and is my favorite tech.
The Prewar is almost mint condition and shaves great.
My 54 Super Speed is a keeper.

But then I tried the New Short Comb, and I got hooked on OC razors.....
So I got a RR SLOC that turns out to be a really nice daily driver.

As it turns out, the Fatip Piccolo SE is the closest to any of the razors on my first wish list. It does come with the Gentile plate, but I found the OC plate is more to my liking.

In fact, the Fatip Piccolo OC is now my #1 favorite razor in my rotation.

I would be remiss, however, if I did not mention my latest RAD. IB just sent me a GC 68-P that I have been using since Monday, and it is one nice razor. I don't think it will unseat my Piccolo as #1, but it is a very strong #2.

I would also like to thank all of the members here at B&B that have been so patient with me, and given me so much sage advice.

And that includes you @Twelvefret .Lol

Happy shaves
prof

Hey guys,

I wanted to do a follow up on my RAD, and let you know how my DE shaves are going after almost 6 months. When I first posted this I already had a Vikings Blade Chieftain, a Feather Popular, and a Razorock DE1.

After I posted this I got 7 Tech's, from a Prewar to a 1973 Travel Tech, a Slim, a 54 Super Speed Flare Tip, and a New Short Comb.
I then got a ShOne, and a Fatip Piccolo SE, and a Razorock SLOC.

The Chieftain only works with BIC Chrome Platinum's, and is a terribly inefficient razor. I will keep it to remind me not to make that mistake again.

I liked the Feather Popular, but the handle was too long for me and I gave it away as a PIF to a friend that was using a VDH.
I made a couple of nice handles for the 73 Travel Tech and gave it to a friend using a Gillette Fusion as a PIF.
The SchOne had too much blade feel, the quality was poor, one of the pegs broke off the cap and I sent it back.
Adjustable razors are not my style, I will let my son try the Slim before I give it away.
The RR DE1 is a great beginner's razor, I bought 3 of them and gave 2 to friends that were using carts.

My 53 Tech, is ferrous, and is my favorite tech.
The Prewar is almost mint condition and shaves great.
My 54 Super Speed is a keeper.

But then I tried the New Short Comb, and I got hooked on OC razors.....
So I got a RR SLOC that turns out to be a really nice daily driver.

As it turns out, the Fatip Piccolo SE is the closest to any of the razors on my first wish list. It does come with the Gentile plate, but I found the OC plate is more to my liking.

In fact, the Fatip Piccolo OC is now my #1 favorite razor in my rotation.

I would be remiss, however, if I did not mention my latest RAD. IB just sent me a GC 68-P that I have been using since Monday, and it is one nice razor. I don't think it will unseat my Piccolo as #1, but it is a very strong #2.

I would also like to thank all of the members here at B&B that have been so patient with me, and given me so much sage advice.

And that includes you @Twelvefret .Lol

Happy shaves
prof

Perfect my friend. :a50:

Top Bottom