What's new

Newbie starting out

I have dabbled with cigars in the distant past, when it became a fad in the golf world back in the 90s . . . but my brother-in-law has recently been indulging me with samples from his humidor. Last week, the wife and I were in Cuba. I have always enjoyed a Cohiba or two while on the island, but never bothered with bringing any home.

This time around I decided to change all that, and picked up a few sticks to keep for the occasional night of enjoyment. The resort we stayed at had an off-site government shop (no worries about counterfeits), which featured a cigar maker rolling his own varieties daily. I purchased a few fresh cigars off of his table, as well as a selection of "starter" sticks that include . . .

Monte Cristo #4s
Romeo y Juliettas (#5s?)
Punch
Partagas
Coronations

I still have one torpedo and two standard cigars from the hand-rolled selections I bought.

thoughts?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s a deep rabbit hole. It’s also a fun hobby. Welcome to the club!

Thank you, sir. Truly enjoying the experience. Trying to stick to milder recommendations for the most part, as I have never been a smoker to this point. I know that Honduran and Nicaraguan products have their fans . . . any brands you would care to tout? Or other nationalities? Currently full in my borrowed humidor, but I can always purchase a larger one on my own.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I really like the nicotine aspect of cigars, as well as full flavor. So when I reach for one it’s always a Nicaraguan. I’m a fan if Nica Rusticas, Diesel, etc.

Looks like you picked up a nice selection. In any future trips to Cuba, I’d advise going off resort to a government run La Casa Del Habano. While the on resort stores are convenient and legit, I’ve found that the prices can be almost double what they should be. If you google ‘Yul price list’, you’ll find a Cuban cigar price list that is kept up to date for all Cuban cigars on the island. I’ve found this list to be exact to the prices I’ve paid.

Looks like you picked up a nice selection. In any future trips to Cuba, I’d advise going off resort to a government run La Casa Del Habano. While the on resort stores are convenient and legit, I’ve found that the prices can be almost double what they should be. If you google ‘Yul price list’, you’ll find a Cuban cigar price list that is kept up to date for all Cuban cigars on the island. I’ve found this list to be exact to the prices I’ve paid.

That is EXACTLY the place we were at. Off resort, but accessible from it. In fact, this particular resort would drive you there and pick you up.

Also, if you exchange your money at a bank instead of the resort, you’ll usually save some dough.

Learned that lesson my first time down there, but thanks you just the same. Currently it's about a 10% gouge.

Sounds like you picked up some custom rolls. What resort were you at? Did you catch the name of the roller?

Grand Memories "Sanctuary" on Cayo Santa Maria. The shop was La Casa del Habano in the Estrella market next to the resort. The roller's name was Miguel.

Top Bottom