What's new

Brown Leaf Member Spotlight: Ouch

:a50:Welcome to the fifth instalment of the Brown Leaf Member’s Spotlight :a50:

The Brown Leaf is like a virtual Brick and Mortar tobacconist. The armchairs are tattooed with body prints of the regulars, friendly faces are never too far away and we all have one thing in common; our love of tobacco products and enjoying the stories shared with those that share our passion. This is a chance to get the know those familiar faces and discuss our beloved leaf.

This time we will be sitting down, and having a pint with.... Ouch. Well one of them at least

Q: Ouch, I want to thank all 9000 of you for agreeing to this interview.

A: Having drawn the short straw, I have been selected to speak on behalf of the legion of ouches. Fire away.

Q: So can you share a bit about yourself, or is that information highly classified?

A: Of course. Ouch is an open book, albeit one written in a barely decipherable language.

Q: I am sure we would all love to read an excerpt from that book. Do you have a particularly interesting section, or perhaps a short summary?

A: There are no short summaries, only short people? Who's conducting this interview, anyway?

I was born in Philadelphia some sixty years ago, 100 feet from the Liberty Bell. Any alleged connection to its crack is purely speculative. Those who know me say I am simultaneously more conservative than William F. Buckley and more liberal than Al Franken. How I have managed to not be kicked out of this site for so long is a mystery I cannot explain. I reside in New Jersey and have daughter at Penn State.

Q: I am sure you had nothing to do with the crack. How did your journey start with the leaf?

A: When my daughter was born in '97, I thought it would be a good idea to pass around cigars to the guys. Having grown up in a home where my parents smoked a combined six packs a day, I never thought I would ever smoke anything. I went to a giant JR Cigars and bought a box of el cheapos and a Macanudo for myself. I loved it. After going through just about every cigar available, I gravitated towards pipes, which offered an even greater array of flavors. I recall my first tin- a Capstan Medium Flake. I couldn't believe how good it tasted. Hundreds of tins later, I began to slow down and eventually stopped smoking completely, mostly in deference to my having asthma. When I started on B&B, I was surprised to find how many gentlemen enjoyed not only the wonders of old school shaving, but many of the other finer things of life as well. I'm still astounded at the breadth of topics that are covered in such detail here.

Q: Humble beginnings then, but we all know you have some truly amazing baccys stashed away. Do you have some pictures you'd care to share?

A: At one point, around ten years ago, I must have have well over 400 tins stashed away. After years of trading, piffing, and a whole lot of smoke it has dwindeled down to almost nothing, but I still have a few interesting gems. I used to have so much Penzance, Stonehaven, Momoyama, and other examples of unobtainium I thought I would never run out, but times change.

Q: That is a fair bit of unobtanium, what was your favourite blend? And what was the pipe of choice?

A: I would have to say that my all time favorite blends are GLP Charing Cross for a latakia style and Astley's No. 109 for a straight Virginia. Just personal taste, of course, but I find the former to be beautifully balanced and delightful overall. Perhaps I smoked too much Penzance and Stonehaven over the years, but those are also amongst the best.

I was never into any big buck pipes, but if I were, I'd go for a Peter Matzhold. I think Stanwells and Savinellis are excellent values, and Costellos are terrific. Additionally, I think everyone should have one (but only one- they take so long to color) meerschaum. They're cool, dry, and beautiful.

Q: Any tips and tricks you'd care to share with those just starting their pipe journey?

A: I would suggest they start with inexpensive but reasonable pipes- Butz-Choquin, Stanwell, there are so many. They should dedicate one for latakia blends and one for Virginias- the two don't mix well, and it's a good idea to rest a pipe between smokes. Then find a good local tobacconist, who will likely have no problem filling your pipe with any sample. Try a variety of blends until you discover your own preference. And although I'll confess to having a soft spot for the sweet, fluffy simplicity of a Captain Black, for goodness sake stay away from the aromatic blends and stick with real tobacco. When you're an expert you can revisit some aromatics like Dan's Blue Note or Momoyama, and if you don't like them you can send them to me. Stick with well established brands like Dunhill, Gawirth, GLP, Esoterica, McClelland and the like.

Q: Some sounds advice. Now, lets chat cigars; I know that's how it started, but did you continue to dabble?

A: A good cigar is a unique smoking experience, one I only rarely indulge in these days. I get a lot of rolled eyes from some of the mods when I decline to join them after a meal. Believe me, these guys carry some serious stogies, and they probably consider it an insult when I pass. I am particularly fond of Padron, Fuente, El Rey del Mundo, Hoyo, Partagas, H. Upmann, Ramon Allones, and Montecristo. I'm sure I left some out. There's a giant J.R. Cigars about five minutes from my home, and it used to be my second home. I think his JR Ultimates are a pretty decent and well priced smoke. I think the reason I gravitated from cigars to pipes, even more than the vast array of flavors and styles, is the element of time. I loved being able to get a soul satisfying and refreshing break in only a few minutes with a bowl of baccy, whereas a cigar, even a smallish one, may require a commitment of an hour or more.

Q: I completely understand where you are coming from with the time constraints. Ouch, are there any final words before we conclude this interview?

A: Final words? I was just getting warmed up. Not a single question on knives, wine, motorcycles, tropical fish, stones, tea, Formula 1, audio, or even shaving? Gadzooks! Guess we'll have to save that for the next interview.

Q: This is the Brown Leaf after all. But seeing as you have quite an interesting, and wide array of other interests lets talk motorcycles and booze... I mean fine alcohol. What kinda motorcycles have you owned? What is your dream motorcycle? And lets see whats in your wine cellar/liquor cabinet.

A: I sold my last two bikes about four years ago- a beyond mint 18 year old Honda Magna and my wife's equally old but indistinguishable from new HD Sportser 1200 that had a whopping 186 miles on it. Mostly I'm a fan of British and Italian bikes- Norton, Triumph, BSA, Benelli, Laverda, Ducati, etc. My dream bikes are the MV Agusta 750 and any Vincent.

Wine is a big passion. I had the good fortune and sense to stock up on a lot of the classics before the prices got out of hand. My absolute favorites are German whites, red Burgundy, and vintage port, but by far my collection is dominated by Bordeaux. It would be hard to name a claret I don't have or haven't tried.

Q: Those are some nice bikes
:w00t: and some even nicer wine. One last question before we leave you, how did you get into wetshaving? And what is your favourite setup? Well two questions actually.

A: I always liked knives and sharp things, and was always disappointed in my shaves, which were an unsatisfying amalgam of cartridges and electrics. I wondered why my cheeks were never as buffed as my father's seemed to be when I was a kid. (I would later come to learn that his two razors were a super speed and a fat boy.) I thought there just had to be a better way, so I decided to try a straight. I know- perhaps not the brightest move, but I had the stones and knew a little about sharpening, and I was hooked from the get go. I loved the challenge of using and maintaining a straight, as well as the degree of focus it required. When I discovered the world of DE's and injectors, I couldn't believe how easy they were to use. Then I wandered into this joint.

As for my favorite setup, not many people support my opinion. I believe different razors excel in certain areas and are lacking in others, so why not put them to their best use? I can't think of anything better for a first pass, no matter how heavy your growth, than an injector. For me, nothing mows down the forest primeval better than an injector, so I always start with one. An added benefit is that they're the easiest razors to use. If you can't shave with an injector, you probably shouldn't shave at all, drive a motor vehicle, or make any major decisions. In fact, you should seriously consider wearing a bicycle helmet at the dinner table. After the injector, I go to a DE, which I believe will shave you closer. Between these two techniques, you can get a perfect shave. But when I want to pamper myself, which is most of the time, there's nothing quite as satisfying as a straight. Aside from the inherent satisfaction of mastering the preparation of the blade, along with the attendant knowledge that you are capable of shaving for an indefinite amount of time with absolutely no outside help required from any person or corporation, nothing feels quite so nice as a straight razor guided by your own hand gliding against your face.. So more often than not, I wind up using three different blades. Overkill? Perhaps, but I have plenty of toys, so why not use them?

Q: Well Ouch, this interview has been absolutely insightful. Thank you so much for talking to me from your fortress of solitude.

A: The pleasure was all mine. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very enjoyable read. Almost makes me want to try a pipe. Thanks for letting us mere mortals to enjoy a few minutes with Mr Ouch. If that was indeed him...

How wonderful to read the insights from the enigma that is OUCH! Well done, Till and Ouch. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview. Can't wait for part II!

ouch said:
If you can't shave with an injector, you probably shouldn't shave at all, drive a motor vehicle, or make any major decisions. In fact, you should seriously consider wearing a bicycle helmet at the dinner table.

I only tried one injector, had it for a year or so, it was the only razor I've ever used I could not manage a half decent shave with.

I suspect foul play is afoot here.... not one comment about paper plate cusine. Not one taco mentioned? Nothing about fangolistan..Impostor!

Well done Ouch & co.

I suspect foul play is afoot here.... not one comment about paper plate cusine. Not one taco mentioned? Nothing about fangolistan..Impostor!

Well done Ouch & co.
Sorry Jim, wanted to keep it mostly Brown Leaf related... However there may be a part 2 sometime in the future.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I only tried one injector, had it for a year or so, it was the only razor I've ever used I could not manage a half decent shave with.

:001_rolle

proxy.php

Top Bottom