What's new

NEWBIE BLADE PIF!!!!

I'm not in the fountain pen club, but I love me a Pilot G2.
We use the G2 at work and I find it scritchy and it skips a lot. My go to plastic pen is the Uniball Jetstream.

F5A47AE3-88DB-452E-8E7D-FED5DA3B9296.jpeg

My carry pen is a Cross Townsend Rollerball with the gel cartridge.

D561787D-3D1D-4851-8B77-E1788CA80FA8.png

No. But my girlfriend has accepted my craziness. I'm the same way with kitchen gadgets. Shopping for a house now and I'd like to have all all I can before having that monkey on my back. Once I have the mortgage, all funds go to paying that off as soon as possible
I know that feeling. My mortgage retires next May.

After trying a few more blades I've settled on the Crystal "Super +" (aka Personna Israeli Blue) as my daily driver. I kept thinking some other blade I've tried equals it but then, after going back to the Crystal to compare, I realize it wasn't. The Crystal has given me nothing but consistently outstanding shaves in my 38C from day one. Maybe there's a better blade out there, somewhere, for me but I'm very, very happy with this blade and I really don't want to spend more time experimenting; I just want to find a routine I'm happy with so I can get on with life and the Crystal is doing that. The only other blade that has held up this well for me is the Gillette Nacet. If push came to shove I could be happy with either.

Amazon delivered a stash of 30 blades last night, ordered as test to make sure I was getting the blades I was wanted. This mini-stash will keep me going for now and I'll probably put in a bulk order shortly; now that I'm confident I'm getting the right blade.

After trying a few more blades I've settled on the Crystal "Super +" (aka Personna Israeli Blue) as my daily driver. I kept thinking some other blade I've tried equals it but then, after going back to the Crystal to compare, I realize it wasn't. The Crystal has given me nothing but consistently outstanding shaves in my 38C from day one. Maybe there's a better blade out there, somewhere, for me but I'm very, very happy with this blade and I really don't want to spend more time experimenting; I just want to find a routine I'm happy with so I can get on with life and the Crystal is doing that. The only other blade that has held up this well for me is the Gillette Nacet. If push came to shove I could be happy with either.

Amazon delivered a stash of 30 blades last night, ordered as test to make sure I was getting the blades I was wanted. This mini-stash will keep me going for now and I'll probably put in a bulk order shortly; now that I'm confident I'm getting the right blade.
FYI it seems the wrapper has changed so don't worry if it's smooth white wrapper with no writing. Or at least my new ones were. They don't have the blue dots. But mine came in all 5 pack package blister packs.

All envelopes should be arriving soon gents!!!
They were mailed out Sunday night in the drop box. Sorry again for the delay.
Look forward to hearing what you guys think!!

When my father surprised me with a VDH razor he also got a couple boxes of the VDH stainless and VDH ice tempered. I haven't touched the VDH razor since I got my merkur and I haven't touched the stainless blades since I got a few different 5 packs of different brands and a tuck of astra ss and astra sp, but I have been curious about the ice tempered. I kind of stayed away from them like the plague due to reviews I've read on forums, but when I search reviews of them on google people seem to love them.

What are your thoughts on them before I decide to try them, if they are that bad I'm just going to use the plastic case to store used blades in.

Right now I store used blades in a soda can, I've been doing that for a long time with single edge utility blades that I cut my medicine in half with, and when I fill the can I tape up the opening and put a paper with used blades written on it before putting it in recycle. I'm thinking of making a better blade bank at some point.

Thanks
mreeveshp

FYI it seems the wrapper has changed so don't worry if it's smooth white wrapper with no writing. Or at least my new ones were. They don't have the blue dots. But mine came in all 5 pack package blister packs.
Yup! Mine came in white plastic, ten-blade boxes and individual blades were discretely wrapped in plain white paper. These are clearly the blades I was wanting so... That's a relief. And while I don't like throwing away any more plastic than I must, the plastic boxes ARE a little easier to store in the bathroom medicine cabinet.

Yup! Mine came in white plastic, ten-blade boxes and individual blades were discretely wrapped in plain white paper. These are clearly the blades I was wanting so... That's a relief. And while I don't like throwing away any more plastic than I must, the plastic boxes ARE a little easier to store in the bathroom medicine cabinet.
Careful storing in bathroom. They are stainless but repeatedly being exposed to that much moisture could cause issue.
I have no proof of this but have heard stories here.
My stuff is stored innlinen closet just outside bathroom

When my father surprised me with a VDH razor he also got a couple boxes of the VDH stainless and VDH ice tempered. I haven't touched the VDH razor since I got my merkur and I haven't touched the stainless blades since I got a few different 5 packs of different brands and a tuck of astra ss and astra sp, but I have been curious about the ice tempered. I kind of stayed away from them like the plague due to reviews I've read on forums, but when I search reviews of them on google people seem to love them.

What are your thoughts on them before I decide to try them, if they are that bad I'm just going to use the plastic case to store used blades in.

Right now I store used blades in a soda can, I've been doing that for a long time with single edge utility blades that I cut my medicine in half with, and when I fill the can I tape up the opening and put a paper with used blades written on it before putting it in recycle. I'm thinking of making a better blade bank at some point.

Thanks
mreeveshp
I've never tried them. Reviews too bad and too many better cheaper options.
If you're looking for locally available blades try the king C Gillette blades at walgreens. They are $6 for 10 so not cheap but great blades. And about same price as you'll pay for VDH blades
As far as blade bank I ordered a sharps container from Amazon for like $4. It's pretty big and may never fill it but being an actual sharps container it's easy to take in for disposal.
16044473060627377868347640397427.jpg

Right now I store used blades in a soda can... I'm thinking of making a better blade bank at some point.
Since they're going to get thrown out anyway, I'm holding on to the glass jars our spices come in once they're empty. As a bonus, the labels pull off cleanly, which appeals to my anal-retentive streak.
Jar.jpg

Careful storing in bathroom. They are stainless but repeatedly being exposed to that much moisture could cause issue. I have no proof of this but have heard stories here. My stuff is stored innlinen closet just outside bathroom.
One more thing to keep me awake at night!

I've never tried them. Reviews too bad and too many better cheaper options.
If you're looking for locally available blades try the king C Gillette blades at walgreens. They are $6 for 10 so not cheap but great blades. And about same price as you'll pay for VDH blades
As far as blade bank I ordered a sharps container from Amazon for like $4. It's pretty big and may never fill it but being an actual sharps container it's easy to take in for disposal.View attachment 1177760
I thought about getting a sharps container, I think a local pharmacy will give you one if you ask and then you just bring it back and they dispose of it, but that's just what I was told by my neighbor that has to use sharps for diabetes so they may just give it to her since she has to use sharps but if I have to pay a few dollars and they will handle disposal that is worth it to me.

I just want it to be safe so that's why we have always used cans and clearly marked them so at the recycle center someone doesn't get hurt. I've even tried my hardest to shake one out without taping the top and couldn't do it but we still tape them for extra security.

Thanks
mreeveshp

Participation Report #4

I used one of my favorite blades for a while (a Bolzano for 10 shaves, and it still has life left) to reset my expectations, and the loaded up a modern Derby Extra. First I did one cheek with the Bolzano, then switched the blade. The brand new Derby Extra was more tuggy than the 10-shave Bolzano.

It did smooth out as the shave went on, as blades do. The first shave was actually pretty good, using my Timeless .68. The second shave was not close, and left irritation.

I put that blade in the blade bank, and loaded the second Derby Extra into my Mühle R89. The first shave just ok. The second shave... one of the best I've ever had! Super close, no irritation. The 3rd shave was back to just being "ok", but left a lot of irritation.

I liked the modern Derby Extra's better than the pre-2016 Derby Extra's, but both versions only last me 2 shaves. I wouldn't buy these, but they were fun to try!

You can also store then in a sandwich Ziploc or something in the bathroom.
Or... OR... We could use a humidor, like cigar smokers! One made from scrimshawed whale-bone... With a glass top. We could be all classy and what not, swirling our brandy and eeeeeeeverything!

Or... OR... We could use a humidor, like cigar smokers! One made from scrimshawed whale-bone... With a glass top. We could be all classy and what not, swirling our brandy and eeeeeeeverything!
Hey I collect cigars too and have many humidors.
But I prefer single malt Scotch in rocks glasses

Top Bottom