What's new

NEWBIE BLADE PIF!!!!

Finally getting around to posting a couple pictures of what I received. All I can say is wow. I certainly got more than I requested and none of them are blades I have used before.

I gave the first blade a test run Sunday.

Shave number 1
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Razor: new to me Gillette Slim (set at 3)
Brush: Fine badger
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
AS: Nivea balm and Stirling Executive Man splash

The first go was a pretty good shave. I had a couple small nicks but it was only the second time using this razor so I am still getting comfortable with it. The blade was pretty smooth and with the exception of the couple small nick there was no irritation with a three pass shave.

I gave it a second go last night with a few changes with the primary change being the razor.

Shave number 2
Razor: Roman Empire Shaving Caesar
Brush: no name badger
Soap: CBL Insurgent
AS: Nivea balm

Second shave was excellent. It was pretty smooth. No nicks, weeper, or irritation at all. It is not a BBS shave but that is not important to me at this point. I would consider it a DFS+ though. My son used this exact set up with a different soap this morning for his very first DE shave and reported excellent results as well. He said he got a very smooth clean shave

Not sure which to go with from here. There are just so many choices.

Finally getting around to posting a couple pictures of what I received. All I can say is wow. I certainly got more than I requested and none of them are blades I have used before.

I gave the first blade a test run Sunday.

Shave number 1
Razor: new to me Gillette Slim (set at 3)
Brush: Fine badger
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
AS: Nivea balm and Stirling Executive Man splash

The first go was a pretty good shave. I had a couple small nicks but it was only the second time using this razor so I am still getting comfortable with it. The blade was pretty smooth and with the exception of the couple small nick there was no irritation with a three pass shave.

I gave it a second go last night with a few changes with the primary change being the razor.

Shave number 2
Razor: Roman Empire Shaving Caesar
Brush: no name badger
Soap: CBL Insurgent
AS: Nivea balm

Second shave was excellent. It was pretty smooth. No nicks, weeper, or irritation at all. It is not a BBS shave but that is not important to me at this point. I would consider it a DFS+ though. My son used this exact set up with a different soap this morning for his very first DE shave and reported excellent results as well. He said he got a very smooth clean shave

Not sure which to go with from here. There are just so many choices.
Haha to your last sentence, welcome to my world lol.
Sometimes it's tough to choose which blade, razor, soap etc.
Just remember that the first shave on any blade can be a bit more rough than the rest. The GSB for me last many many shaves. They were the blades I used for years when life got crazy.

:)

Nice to see your son is trying something new. My oldest is starting to get some peach fuzz but not quite there yet. Definitely wants to try a DE razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see your son is trying something new. My oldest is starting to get some peach fuzz but not quite there yet. Definitely wants to try a DE razor.

Both of mine refuse to shave because they are trying to grow full beards (they are only 19 and 20, both with very fine hair). It will take YEARS before they have anything resembling a beard.

Tell them that if they shave their beards will get heavier and darker. It’s not true, but most people think it is.
I know the table worked on me, but it was more of a warning that caused me to want what I was being warned about
If I only knew my nordic bloodline would leave me with hair up to my eyeballs and down to neckline of shirt anyway haha

Ha! Patience my young grasshopper! I couldn't grow anything til my 30's. It wasn't until 40 that I really tried. Now I grow a beard every winter. I have to admit that I look better with one. The hair covers up my nerd face. My wife loves it so definitely some good benefits there.

Today I did the second shave with the shark SC that I used the other day. Yesterday I was surprised that the shave from the other day with this blade I had less growth than normal after 2 days. I normally shave every 2 days. Today using the same blade I used the same razor but I used arko soap instead of the VDH I used the other day. I had more trouble than usual getting a good lather with the arko but when I finally did the shave felt just as good as the other day. A couple places I could not get every little bit of stubble to shave away but stopped at 3 passes and a couple times trying to touch up those areas but stopped where I was because it's so close no one could tell and I didn't want to keep going over areas too much and causing irritation.

I know a lot of people don't like shark blades and the youtube reviews aren't always the best but this blade definitely seems to be working for me. If you have never tried them I would recommend giving them a shot, you might actually see that they are better than some of the reviews say. I have also tried the SS but I seem to like the SC better and will have to see how the other shark blades that came in my pack go. But I will probably revisit the SS blades to see if it's the blade or my beginner technique is getting better.

Thank you again stoof for letting me be apart of this PIF it is such a generous thing for you to put on

Today I did the second shave with the shark SC that I used the other day. Yesterday I was surprised that the shave from the other day with this blade I had less growth than normal after 2 days. I normally shave every 2 days. Today using the same blade I used the same razor but I used arko soap instead of the VDH I used the other day. I had more trouble than usual getting a good lather with the arko but when I finally did the shave felt just as good as the other day. A couple places I could not get every little bit of stubble to shave away but stopped at 3 passes and a couple times trying to touch up those areas but stopped where I was because it's so close no one could tell and I didn't want to keep going over areas too much and causing irritation.

I know a lot of people don't like shark blades and the youtube reviews aren't always the best but this blade definitely seems to be working for me. If you have never tried them I would recommend giving them a shot, you might actually see that they are better than some of the reviews say. I have also tried the SS but I seem to like the SC better and will have to see how the other shark blades that came in my pack go. But I will probably revisit the SS blades to see if it's the blade or my beginner technique is getting better.

Thank you again stoof for letting me be apart of this PIF it is such a generous thing for you to put on
You're very welcome. The whole idea is for you guys to get to try like I couldn't without buying so many.
I still have yet to try the shark Platinum blades.
But blade reviews are almost useless because everything is so ymmv.
Glad you're finding things you like. And sharks are very cheap so won't set you back alot should you choose to make a bulk purchase. :)

First of all I need to thank you again for the blades.
I have a beard so for now i will shave my neck until spring comes along and I can shed my Winter coat. I will test the second round of blades when I can do a full face shave.
Normally I shave twice a week but I got excited and tried for three. Unfortunately it didn't go so well.
Personna lab blue
I used a Gillette slim on setting 3 then went to 4 on the second pass and that's when my issues began. Should have left it on 3.
I used my trusty old arko and brush for a face lather.
I will keep trying with the slim then maybe switch it over to my merkur 34.
Definitely need more patience.

Decided to try a halftime shave during the hawks game. 2nd shave with lab blue went ok. Much better than the 1st. I did a quickie with cremo. Not as smooth as I would like but I’ll do better next time.

Participation Report #5

It's been a while since my last update, but I had a Bolzano that lasted forever, and also was participating in the Vikings Sword thread, so I've had lots of blades to use!

I used the Personna Israeli Blue Super Platinum "Crystal" blades, and the Personna Israeli Platinum Chrome "Red" blades. According to this post they are were both made in the same factory in Nazareth. My notes on both blades are nearly identical. Both of them seemed dull at first, but got better by the second shave. Both of them provided zero irritation, which is great.

They also both shaved about the same, leaving me with DFS's. Not spectacular, but a good trade off for having no irritation.

I really like the Personna brand, so I'll likely buy more of these in the future. I think the Personna "Red" are easier to find, although they are undergoing a change at the moment. The packaging now might have gold letters, and they are being made in Germany.

Participation Report #6

I had a chance to try 2 more blades recently. Both of them, unfortunately, are not for me...
The Gillette Wilkinson Sword wasn't horrible, but did not shave me close. I have a problem area on my neck, and this blade didn't feel good on it, although I've used worse. I'll trade closeness for comfort, but in this case it didn't quite deliver.

On to the Gillette Nacet. A blade that I predicted I would love, it turns out to be too sharp? Or maybe just not smooth enough? Either way, I had sort of the same problems as I did with the Gillette Wilkinson Sword, but worse. My problem spot got all sorts of irritation, and my shaves haven't been very close. This blade gets a lot of love, including from people who seemingly get along with other blades that I like, but it just goes to show.

I'm tempted to give the Nacet another try in a different razor, but I have to heal up by using something else for a little while first.

@hotelmode, as you find blades that don't work well for you, hang on to them. Revisit those blades in a year & give them another try. Sometimes our technique gets refined &/or our gear changes to the point where what used to work still does, but what didn't work before may be much better the second time around. Part of the journey, enjoy!

Participation Report #5

It's been a while since my last update, but I had a Bolzano that lasted forever, and also was participating in the Vikings Sword thread, so I've had lots of blades to use!

I used the Personna Israeli Blue Super Platinum "Crystal" blades, and the Personna Israeli Platinum Chrome "Red" blades. According to this post they are were both made in the same factory in Nazareth. My notes on both blades are nearly identical. Both of them seemed dull at first, but got better by the second shave. Both of them provided zero irritation, which is great.

They also both shaved about the same, leaving me with DFS's. Not spectacular, but a good trade off for having no irritation.

I really like the Personna brand, so I'll likely buy more of these in the future. I think the Personna "Red" are easier to find, although they are undergoing a change at the moment. The packaging now might have gold letters, and they are being made in Germany.
Yes they are making a german version of the Red IP in Germany now, but no they have not closed the israeli plant are are still making new blades daily as confirmed by public record of blade shipments from there being imported as recent as March of this year.
But for the Red's you'll have to keep an eye on the packaging to know if they're german or Israeli. Even the tall 200 packs look similar but are different.
The israeli don't have any gold on the tower box 200 pack.
I believe these are the israeli 200 pack:
Screenshot_20201201-053733.jpg

Notice no gold part and Platinum inside the gold part

Last edited:
Participation Report #6

I had a chance to try 2 more blades recently. Both of them, unfortunately, are not for me...
The Gillette Wilkinson Sword wasn't horrible, but did not shave me close. I have a problem area on my neck, and this blade didn't feel good on it, although I've used worse. I'll trade closeness for comfort, but in this case it didn't quite deliver.

On to the Gillette Nacet. A blade that I predicted I would love, it turns out to be too sharp? Or maybe just not smooth enough? Either way, I had sort of the same problems as I did with the Gillette Wilkinson Sword, but worse. My problem spot got all sorts of irritation, and my shaves haven't been very close. This blade gets a lot of love, including from people who seemingly get along with other blades that I like, but it just goes to show.

I'm tempted to give the Nacet another try in a different razor, but I have to heal up by using something else for a little while first.
Some blades, at least for me, are less comfortable the first and sometimes even the second shave. I have corked those brands before first shave and helps a bit to simulate the first shave. Sometimes it's sharpness, sometimes it's coating that wears during 1st shave
Recently had a surprise with Astra superior stainless (blue). Got the razorock german 37 (37c slant clone) in and that blade was up next to revisit. First shave was ok. But I then used that same razor and blade for countless (read I didn't count) shaves. Then I binned it to move on but I know it could have gone longer. So that one definitely grew on me since last using it years ago. Plus I love the 37c and that clone is identical but allows me to use different handles since it's a 3 piece.
Same razor next blade was the german personna Red and first shave was rough. Second better and third has smoothed. But I personally still like the israeli reds better. But I'll try more in different razors before making that judgement as a whole.

Again, corking helped me alot with crazy sharp blades. But then again, some are great without corking so take that for what it's worth and if it's worth the trouble
Definitely try other razors. Some blade are a dream in one razor and a nightmare in another. Another aspect of the YMMV thing.

I have also tried the SS but I seem to like the SC better and will have to see how the other shark blades that came in my pack go. But I will probably revisit the SS blades to see if it's the blade or my beginner technique is getting better.
I tried both the SS and the SC from Shark. DEFINITELY prefer the SC; the SS tore my face up. I've only been DE shaving for about 5 weeks, so I too will have to revisit. Just an FYI, my faves so far are Astra SP, Shark SC, Voskhod, and Derby Premium..

Just finished shave 3 with personna lab. It smoothed out but still too scratchy for my neck. I had to finish up with a dorco prime. Time to move on

Gillette 7 o’clock yellow: 1st shave went well. Much better than the personna. A little irritation but I can live with that. I think I like the milder blades

Top Bottom