What's new

New Mach 3 commercial

I actually acquired a 5pack of the Mach3s having had a soft spot for them since the beginning (it was the first razor I ever used). I actually managed to get one month of shaves out of one cartridge shaving every other day.

I actually acquired a 5pack of the Mach3s having had a soft spot for them since the beginning (it was the first razor I ever used). I actually managed to get one month of shaves out of one cartridge shaving every other day.

Even then, the cheapest I could find Mach3 cartridges for broke down to $2.25 per cartridge... so you push it to using 1 a month, so $2.25 a month. OK, I get Persona Blue's at $.14 a piece, use one for 3 shaves, shaving daily, average of a 30 day month, you will use 10 blades and spend $1.40.

So, even if you are one that has a face that will tolerate using a Mach3 cartridge for a month, you are still behind in the game in cost per month... and you are sacrificing shaving daily, assuming you like to shave daily, plus you are getting worse and worse shaves in general instead of a nice fresh smooth one pretty much every single time.

Mach3 still loses on all fronts. lol

Another point of data on Gillette's re-emphasis on the non-disposable Mach 3. In their September Coupon Insert, they actually had a coupon for "Buy any Disposable or System Razor, and get a Mach 3 Razor free." Giving away an old system, along with the TV commercial are unexpected behavior from Gillette.

One theory I have is that, with higher oil prices, the throwaway handles in the disposable Mach 3s are heavy and expensive to make and transport, as they seem to be made with a lot of expensive premium plastic, with their heft and rubberyness. This might be making the high-end disposables less profitable then they expected.

One last thing, Nb or Neobium rung a bell in my mind that it was being tested by Personna in the mid-70's as the replacement for the Titanium coating in the Personna 74.

Top Bottom