What's new

New Blade Help

I just got my first blade sampler yesterday. I have been using Personna Red's and I used an Astra platinum for my shave today. Technique was as similar as I can get (still relatively new) but I got more irritation and some weepers. Is this primarily due to the blade, or also my technique and need to get used to the new blade? Any other insights into the problem are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Chris

The Personna Reds are a relatively mild and a somewhat "forgiving" blade. The Astra is sharper. If you are putting pressure on the razor head, rather than letting the weight of the tool do the work, then it is more apt to bite you with the Astra than with the Personna.

Also, as you start using sharper blades, you also need to make sure your lather is giving you the proper lubricity. Any blade dragging over dry spots or insufficient lather can also cause a weeper.

You will also find that some blades will not be as "smooth" (to you) as others, and may irritate your face. This may also change (for the better) as your technique improves. The irritation may or may not be due to your technique. The weepers are almost certainly due to your technique.

Try this exercise ...

1) Determine the "balance point" of your razor.
2) When shaving, hold the razor at its balance point. Often, a grip between the thumb and forefinger, with the pinky under the end of the handle works well.
3) While shaving, do not apply ANY pressure to the razor. Let the weight of the head do the work.
4) Concentrate on just scraping off the layer of lather, without touching the skin. (Practically impossible in practice, but this mental game will help you not apply pressure to the razor.)
5) Remember that you are going for "reduction", not elimination in one pass!

All that said, blades are a very subjective area. What works great for one person might not work at all for another. Also, what works great in one razor may not perform well at all in a different razor. Many hear sing the praises of the Red Personnas. For me, the just don't work. I like the Astras. Another blade that I find not quite as sharp as the Astra, but VERY smooth is the Shark Super Chrome. The Shark SC and the Astra Super Platinum are my two primary "go to" blades, and I have often recommended the Shark SC as a starter blade. I like sampling different blades and probably still have at least 20 different brands on hand that I have not gotten to yet.

Hope this helped...

Top Bottom