What's new

Never Ending Travel Box

Entry #7

Good morning, All!

Today I decided to have a little international flair, so I have assembled for the shave a German razor, Turkish soap, and a Swedish steel blade made in Russia...

That's right, it's time for some Arko!

THE GEAR:
Muhle R89 Grande (not from the box)
Voshkod Teflon Coated Blade (Day 2)
Arko Shave Stick
Satin Tip - The Purist Synthetic 24mm (not from the box)
Thayers Cucumber WH (not from the box)
Handmade Shave bowl (not from the box)
Photo Jun 06, 5 48 32 AM.jpg

THE SHAVE:
Typical morning except that I was lazy and slept a few minutes. Then the dog jumps on me in bed, reminding me he needs to go out! So up we go...

Shower felt great today, my back is better. I used Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile soap for body and face today. I love that stuff, leaves a very refreshing tingle on your skin, even after the shower. Great for hot days.

Afterwards, got my brush good and wet, and started swirling on the stick. I've never used arko before, and I was very much looking forward to the experience. I loaded my brush over my bowl, letting all the proto drop into the bowl. Once my brush was loaded, I added a it of water and started to build the lather. It was pretty thirsty, and makes a less dense lather than I prefer, but I was able to get it to sheen so I think we'll be ok. Glide seems good, worried (as per usual) about the cushion...
Photo Jun 06, 6 20 06 AM.jpg

First pass lather on the face, 24 hours growth. The lather spreads nicely and seems slick enough. On the face it looks like it is holding up, just feels less dense than I prefer. Scent is very pleasant, it smells a bit like citronella candles but in a good way. Not a strong scent either, but it is present. The first swipe on the pass had a bit of tug to it. I was using water from the hot tap, but not ran to be hot. Sometimes this can cause issues being how hard our water is here. It's almost as though the minerals in solution makes the razor top cap stick to the skin. To correct this I switched to cold tap, and let the water run for a few seconds to cool it as far as it would. With certain soaps, I have observed that cooler water mitigates the effect of the water hardness and tugging. Finished the first pass with no nicks, glide seems fine, cushion is adequate, but not as thick as I prefer.
Photo Jun 06, 6 21 34 AM.jpg

Fourth Pass Lather. I don't normally, but today I did go for a fourth pass, mainly to test the soap stability. Many soaps that lather in the manner this one did (fluffy, light lather) seem to break down quickly after initial build, so this was mainly a test on stability versus needing actually another pass. Arko passed the test, it was still stable, with only marginal loss in cushion. No small feat with our hard water here...
Photo Jun 06, 6 29 59 AM.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to go! No nicks, no irritation!
Photo Jun 06, 6 36 18 AM.jpg

THE VERDICT:
Arko seems to be a solid performer. I may order a stick to see how a fresh one performs. It just occurred to me that age of these products in the box may be affecting performance of some of them. Just something to keep in mind. Arko is dirt cheap, so it is certainly worth the purchase even if for just a travel soap if for nothing else!

A bit of google searching and I found you can buy these empty plastic screw base tubes to make the whole process of using a shave stick a little less messy...a great solution, and cheap! Just add soap!
plastic tube.JPG

Have a great day,
Will

Arko rules! Not only does it perform wonderful, but it's one of those old school classics soap scents. Definitely makes you feel like you're in a barbershop a half century ago.

Have you heard anything from him?

If this box is no more and there is interest in starting a new one, I have a few soaps and an ASB that I could send to whoever is willing to put it together.

Top Bottom