What's new

Netflix...Best Current Shows & Why You Like Them?

Punch Drunk love was a bit avant-garde, if I recall and if that is still a usable term. A dark romantic comedy. As I recall, Roger Ebert gave Sandler a really good review. Something along the lines of freed from garbage comedies Sandler retains comic skills while dredging up darkness. I forget what Ebert said exactly, but I remember thinking at the time that Ebert nailed it. I think there is some darkness inside of Sandler. The film and Sandler, as I recall, won some awards. I might watch it again.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Punch Drunk love was a bit avant-garde, if I recall and if that is still a usable term. A dark romantic comedy. As I recall, Roger Ebert gave Sandler a really good review. Something along the lines of freed from garbage comedies Sandler retains comic skills while dredging up darkness. I forget what Ebert said exactly, but I remember thinking at the time that Ebert nailed it. I think there is some darkness inside of Sandler. The film and Sandler, as I recall, won some awards. I might watch it again.

Roger Ebert. I miss his reviews.

Punch-Drunk Love Movie Review (2002) | Roger Ebert

That movie won Best Director at Cannes Film Festival, thats saying something. I dont see it being available on Netflix, but I have other options :). A 1080 Bluray copy will be here in 3 minutes. I'll watch it tonight.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I watched Chernobyl again. That really is a good mini series. When I finished it last night I watched this: Inside Chernobyl's Mega Tomb (2016) - IMDb

That was fascinating.

18 years in planning and design and 7 years of construction. Its the largest object, 36,000 tonnes, ever moved on land and cost 2.3 billion USD.

Its inner and outer air tight panels are constructed of stainless steel. It's 354 feet high, 853 feet wide and 541 feet long.

Screenshot_2019-09-10 Pryp'yat'.jpg

Its designed to last 100 years. To make it last that long the steel support structure had to be painted. To make sure that paint wont deteriorate over 100 years, the complete interior superstructure, walls and steel framing, is air tight with controlled humidity. The entire structure fits over Reactor 4 and again is sealed air tight to stop any radioactive dust from being expelled into the air while they dismantle the reactor and dispose of the radioactive waste inside. Thats being carried out by three massive robotic cranes mounted to the top of the inside arch, each with a span of 276 feet and a height of 246 feet while carrying 50 tonnes.

That was something to see. Incredible.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Too much propaganda crammed in Chernobyl. Too inaccurate portray of events.

I'm not a nuclear physicist and I really dont understand radiation but its still a good series. I've also seen this;

and it does make me wonder.

I've also seen archival footage and its enough to convince me I dont want to be anywhere near it. The closest I ever want get to that level of radiation is this lol.

image_cover.jpg

I'm not a nuclear physicist and I really dont understand radiation but its still a good series. I've also seen this;

and it does make me wonder.

I've also seen archival footage and its enough to convince me I dont want to be anywhere near it. The closest I ever want get to that level of radiation is this lol.

View attachment 1015678

Manufactured pop culture mythology from the Cold War era affects our worldview. The guy in the 3 videos I linked is a nuclear physicist and has different take from the mainstream narrative.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Manufactured pop culture mythology from the Cold War era affects our worldview. The guy in the 3 videos I linked is a nuclear physicist and has different take from the mainstream narrative.

Yeah I get that but the distinction for me is, its a tv series not a documentary. I believe it is well made, it does have high production values and it is well written and acted. Taken as a tv series, I think its a good show. I enjoyed it even more the second time around.

I really enjoy a good documentary too, but for me thats a different kind of entertainment.

Yeah I get that but the distinction for me is, its a tv series not a documentary. I believe it is well made, it does have high production values and it is well written and acted. Taken as a tv series, I think its a good show. I enjoyed it even more the second time around.

I really enjoy a good documentary too, but for me thats a different kind of entertainment.

It's paid propaganda by the MIC to justify and maintain war based economy. Video games, movies, cartoons, toys, talk shows, literature, news etc. all cultural conditioning stemming from the Pentagon. Goes way beyond the standard bread and circuses.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I miss Ebert, too. Great review, eh? I look forward to your review!

Those are some good options!

Roger Ebert saw things in a different light than most other reviewers. I used to watch Siskel & Ebert At The Movies when I was young. I always agreed with Roger and rarely with Gene. Its like he saw more depth and had a better innate understanding of things on an emotional level. I think thats needed with any form of art, which movies are.

Options are nice to have ;).

It's paid propaganda by the MIC to justify and maintain war based economy. Video games, movies, cartoons, toys, talk shows, literature etc. all cultural conditioning stemming from the Pentagon. Goes way beyond the standard bread and circuses.

Dont get me started on all of that! MJ 12 is alive, well and functioning at full capacity lol. Lots didnt believe in MKUltra either, but its a fact.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I look forward to your review!

It'll be a short one!

I'm not sure I completely understand that movie but it was interesting. I liked it. It's filled with complex characters, Adam Sandler only being one, and I have to say he is very good in it. Its not hard to see the seething rage inside him but he does very well in suppressing it. When it ended, I was surprised. The time flew by and the ending seemed premature but it isnt, it was perfect.

Also easy to see why it won Best Director at Cannes. The cinematography should have also gotten a mention as it was very well done too.

I might have enjoyed more background of the characters but that may have detracted from a unique and special movie.

Reign Over Me still stands in my view as his best serious role. If you havent watched it, you should.

Just started watching The I-Land. I had very low expectations but it's got me and my wife hooked. Sort of a Lost / The Matrix hybrid. The odds are that'll be like a super hot curry: great during the early consumption phase, but then at some point it has go down the toilet, with Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire as theme music.

Just finished series 4 of Peaky Blinders, Adrien Brody is fantastic in it, plus there's some shaving scenes in earlier seasons (obsessed much?). Not sure if it's on Netflix (I watched on BBC4) but 'Line Of Duty' was superb as well, little slow to get started, but great once it gets going

Thanks for the tip re Dark. Started watching Better Than Us last night. Based on one episode, it looks great.

One reviewer said "if you liked Humans, you will like this." That seems about right so far. I am not sure I loved Humans toward the end, but I sure liked it in the beginning.

My wife and I are up to about episode 9 of 16 of Better Than Us. We were really liking it, but it seems to be sort of running out of gas. Too many episodes, perhaps. It is a shame. High production values. Attractive actors. Good if a tad derivative overall plot, but getting kind of stretched and hard to follow.

Top Bottom