What's new

Netflix...Best Current Shows & Why You Like Them?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm interested in finding great things to watch on Netflix. Particularly series shows but maybe good movies also.

proxy.php

My wife and I are watching The Crown together, an episode or two most nights. I've already binge watched the entire series and she's watched parts of it, but it's so good I want to watch it again.

What's great about The Crown? Just about everything. The production values are extremely high. Nothing is below top drawer from the standpoint of this viewer. I'm a fan of historical fiction (some of it) and have an undergraduate degree in history, but I don't actually know how historically accurate The Crown is. Regardless, it's entertaining, interesting, and seems very worthy of my time.

The main character, from a certain point of view, is, of course, Queen Elizabeth. The show revolves around her character development particularly as it relates to the burden of the monarchy. From another viewpoint the main character is the monarchy itself, and the prisoners trapped within its exquisite confines.

Relationships within the royal family, between the family and government, and especially within the royal marriage are a huge part of the show, but the context shifts as current events unfold.

A major figure is the former king who has abdicated in favor of his wife, Wallis Simpson. Much of his character is fleshed out as he writes letters to her describing events, thoughts, impressions, and feelings he has when he is not with her. According to my wife, these letters are quoted with absolute historical accuracy.

proxy.php

Another show I watched a year or so ago and thought highly of is Rectify. Over several seasons the story deals with the release from prison of a man who was locked up for almost twenty years for horrible crimes. Much of the series is about his return to his family and the fictional small town where he grew up, but there's a major plot curiosity revolving around unanswered questions. Did he actually commit the crimes to begin with? Even the man himself is not quite sure about that, but it all becomes clear as the series progresses, at least clear enough for me. Rectify is the epitome of Southern Gothic. You might find it a bit slow at times, but it's slow like a deep river. There's a whole lot going on.

The relationship between the characters pictured above lingers in my mind.

proxy.php

Another of my favorites is Blue Bloods. To me, it's a fine police procedural show, but it also addresses many current issues in our society from a number of vantage points. Tying the show together is a weeky Sunday dinner where four generations never fail to gather. I enjoy the interactions between Frank and his family, particular at dinner where all voices are heard. I can't wait for the next season. This is an action show but it's not the usual shoot 'em up where violence is king. There are usually at least three plots going at once, but it is also a show about values, and tradition, and character.

In fact, all three of the shows I've mentioned are about values, tradition, and character.

proxy.php

Switching gears here. Riverdale's main characters are Betty, Archie, Jughead, and Veronica from the comic books. I wouldn't say this is a serious television show but the themes are not the typical teenage coming of age issues, at least enough of them aren't. Murder is.

Riverdale may be a cartoon, but it's an adult cartoon largely in a high school setting. My college aged daughter thinks it's stupid. My wife won't admit to watching it, but I know she did. I liked it a lot for a lot of reasons, but I'll also admit it's partly a bit of a Ginger or Mary Ann question for me. Betty wins, hands down, but Veronica has her own appeal.

I enjoy all sorts of movies and series, but find a great many far too stupid and so poorly done they should have been trashed by the studio. Instead many made it to Netflix. I doubt anyone would necessarily like exactly what I like, but if we share what we like and why we like it maybe we can help each other figure out what's worth watching on Netflix?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Peaky Blinders was a great series. As for movies, there’s a lot of James Bond (including the classics).

I watched the first season or two of PB, but not the third (if there were three; whatever, I've not seen the last of it). It got too violent and dark for me (not that it was every light and a celebration of all that's good in life).

I watched one of the James Bond movies recently and didn't like it as much as when I was a youngster, but I'll try some of the others. They vary some in tone and seriousness. I like the books much better actually, but that's generally true, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Sense8
I like the way they did the gimmick of the telepathic "visits", with people being in two places at the same time.
I particularly liked the character of Sun, the Korean woman.

Stranger Things
Good old-fashioned story of kids taking it upon themselves to rescue their friend from the monsters.
If you like Stephen King's "It" or "Stand By Me", then you'd probably like this show.

Babylon Berlin
I liked the historical setting of the Weimar Republic, before everything just went to hell.

Shameless (US)
Funny, great ensemble cast of characters.
William H. Macy as the Worst. Dad. Ever.
Many hot babes doesn't hurt either.

The OA
Missing girl returns after a long absence. After that everything is just strange. You're never sure even what kind of a story it is.

Last edited:
Black Mirror - A science fiction based show which centers around the unintended consequences of the modern technologies that effect our everyday lives. It's much more interesting than my description might have you think. It's kind of Twilight Zone like and each episode is a stand alone. It's very well done and definitely worth checking out. This show will really make you think about the possible ramifications of things intended to make our lives better or easier and leaves you wondering if such things are necessarily a good thing.

Happy Valley - A British crime drama centering around Catherine, a police sergeant who is now divorced and living with her sister and still trying to come to terms with the suicide of her daughter. She's raising her daughter's baby which was the result of a rape. Now her daughter's rapist is being released from prison and she becomes obsessed with finding him.

Mindhunter - A crime drama that takes place in the '70s when a new type of criminal, the serial killer grabs the FBI's attention. It deals with the birth of using psycological profiling as a tool to try and catch this type of criminal before they can kill again and one of the best ways to gather information for this type of profiling is to interview multiple killers currently held in prisons. The subject matter is morbidly fascinating and seeing the genesis of this approach to capturing murdering psycopaths is very interesting. One of the serial killers interviewed in prison really gives me the creeps. This is realistic fiction, not a documentary.

Master of None - I'll just say it's funny and worth the watch. Aziz Ansari is very likeable and funny.

I'll second Rectify already noted above. I think this show flew under a lot of radars but I'm glad that I discovered it. It's one of the best shows most people never heard of.

Tell me more about Rectify. You sparked my interest.

Rectify is not a show you'd watch because there are a lot of exciting/spectaclar things happening. It's a human drama where you are made to care about the characters and what happens in their intertwined lives. The main character has spent nearly 20 years on death row when he is released from prison and now he has to try and make his way back into society in a small town where many people still think that he is guilty. As the story unwinds we are made to wonder - did he actually commit the crime or didn't he? He is not even sure himself. The story will point you in both directions. Complicating that, a local politician who was largely responsible for putting him in prison has now made it his mission to put him back in prison. Our main character must also reaquaint himself with his family now as a free man and each of them have their own issues and things going on.

The show is very well acted and our main character really carries the show. The supporting characters have their own stories going on and I was made to care about what was happening in their lives as well. (I loved Tawney!) The story takes place in Georgia and I think its pacing reflects what I'd imagine life in the south is like. This show walks, it doesn't run. Given that, it may not be a show for everyone. It rewards the person who is willing to sit back and patiently watch the story unwind at its own relaxed pace. Me, I binge watched the first 3 seasons and had to wait for the 4th season.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Last night I watched Strangers on a Train, the 1951 Hitchcock film. Probably most people have seen it before, but it's worth watching again. I'm not sure I'd seen the film before, and I know that what I thought about its plot was only partially correct.

My wife and I talked about the movie this morning. She warned me last night not to watch it saying it would give me nightmares because it's so very terrifying. I know from our conversation a few minutes ago she has in her head a fundamentally incorrect view of or memory of the movie. It's not what either of us thought it was, not exactly. It's also not as terrifying as all that.

Of course it is very dark. Film noir is the term I believe. Personally I like many of the Hitchcock films including this one. I hope to watch it again soon with my wife. I think any Hitchcock fan would enjoy Strangers on a Train. This would be a good first Hitchcock film as an introduction to the director.

If Hitchcock were to make a five season long movie it might be Rectify.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Legion

Staff member
I've just started binge rewatching the British comedy/action show Misfits. I'd forgotten good good it was.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I sometimes watch Midsomer Murders.

It's a police procedural set in a fictional but upscale and beautiful area of England. The villages are picturesque and the people are genteel, but murders abound. Usually there are three murders per episode.

Each episode is discrete. Only a few of the characters are recurrent (the police, the chief officer's wife and daughter). The tone of each episode is discrete, too. Some episodes seem patterned after old movies or plays or something (I can't put my finger on it exactly). Sometimes it seems whimsical. Other times it is scary and reminiscent of a chiller/thriller. Much is made sometimes of pagan themes, witchcraft, and New Age sewage. The show pokes fun at all sorts of stuff. I'm sure much of it goes over the head of this American. I get the distinct impression it does at any rate.

Demanding of attention to characters and plot details, it's a good show according to me. My wife dislikes it. She things it's too hard to follow and too gory. It is not typically gory but she's caught the few gory scenes. I'll admit the few episodes she's watched with me have been the worst I've seen.

It's not like to be everyone's cup of tea, but some episodes are stellar.

Hard to know what is showing in the US because some of the selection lines up differently

If it is shown on US Netflix The Durrells is good
Travellers is an excellent Scifi - not something I thought I would like reading the synopsis but got me hooked
I really enjoyed the Komimsky Method as well
The first series of The Bletchley Circle was good
The old 90s Pride and Prejudice is perhaps one of the best things the BBC has made of you've never seen it.
Line of Duty of you get it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hard to know what is showing in the US because some of the selection lines up differently

If it is shown on US Netflix The Durrells is good
Travellers is an excellent Scifi - not something I thought I would like reading the synopsis but got me hooked
I really enjoyed the Komimsky Method as well
The first series of The Bletchley Circle was good
The old 90s Pride and Prejudice is perhaps one of the best things the BBC has made of you've never seen it.
Line of Duty of you get it.

We don't get some of these. Bletchley Circle is great! I should watch it for the third or fourth time.

I should respond at greater length after some thought, but lots of good suggestions above. I thought Rectify was great. Russian Doll is excellent.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Watched a quite decent movie tonight. Zodiac is well done in all respects. Nothing over the top, but just a good and interesting movie. Various people are in pursuit of the San Francisco area serial killer of the late 1960s and early 1970s. I was there in the city then and remember what a big deal the case was.

The movie is right convincing in its central thesis; the killer was identified but died shortly thereafter.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It seems when I like a show, Netflex buys it then it's quickly cancelled.
One of my favorite, and Canadian shows is 'Travelers'. You can watch the 3 seasons on Netflix now that they have it, but there's no 4th a comin'.

Designated Survivor is very good. Kiefer Sutherland plays the new President after nearly the entire US House, Senate, Supreme Court, President and VP are killed. Two seasons so far, third comes out later this year.

Top Bottom