What's new

Netflix...Best Current Shows & Why You Like Them?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We finished Unbelievable (Netflix mini series). Disturbing subject matter (rape) but based on a true story.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Has anyone mentioned "Heartland" yet? It's a CBC production in it's 11th? season. I used to ride horses growing up, and it brings back memories of being 8 or 9 and feeling 10 foot tall, chasing black hats, lol.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Has anyone mentioned "Heartland" yet? It's a CBC production in it's 11th? season. I used to ride horses growing up, and it brings back memories of being 8 or 9 and feeling 10 foot tall, chasing black hats, lol.

My mom really likes Heartland, I havent given it a go yet

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

What is this "CBC" you speak of?

Oh yeah... the hockey channel haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm watching Mad Men.

I've seen it before but not recently. Watching it I realize I must have missed a good many episodes and/or scenes so a good bit is new to me. The people are mostly horrible although not through and through horrible. It's very interesting, and funny, and entertaining. I'm at least a wee bit embarrassed to say how much fun some of it is.

I like it a lot and my wife likes it even more. She's seen it enough previously to know a lot of the dialogue already. We both like the period piece aspects, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've Just finished watching 'The Vietnam War' by Ken Burns. If you like documentaries and aren't put off by the subject matter it's well worth watching. Amazing footage, some incredibly moving testimonials and it's detailed too - I learned a lot about a subject I thought I knew quite well. It's also very well structured with an almost narrative like quality that is very compelling.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Peaky Blinders is I think one of, if not the most polished, shows I've watched. I just wish it was more than 6 episodes per season.

I've Just finished watching 'The Vietnam War' by Ken Burns. If you like documentaries and aren't put off by the subject matter it's well worth watching. Amazing footage, some incredibly moving testimonials and it's detailed too - I learned a lot about a subject I thought I knew quite well. It's also very well structured with an almost narrative like quality that is very compelling.

Yeah, thats a must see, its great. I think its 16 hours in total and worth every minute.

The Vietnam War: A film by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick - http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/home/

I found that out a couple of days ago - I watched it on BBC4 and each of the 10 episodes is about an hour for some reason - I'll end up getting the full version on DVD or Blu ray probably.

ready.jpg

I just finished Unbelievable. It's a rough subject matter but I really enjoyed it. Merritt Wever was the stand-out performer for me in that series.

I also recently finished Bates Motel. I had never seen a single episode of the show before watching it on Netflix. The series sagged a bit in the middle but I really enjoyed the last two seasons.

El Camino was indeed a great wrap-up of Jesse's story. It had been so long since I saw the end of Breaking Bad I had to go back and read up on recaps of the final season and about exactly who certain characters were and how they all fit together in the story line. I had forgotten what happened to Jesse and what lead up to his situation. I'm glad that we got to see Jesse's story and this movie could have seamlessly been added as the last one or two episodes of Breaking Bad but I'm glad that they ended BB the way they did because it was Walt's story and appropriately ended with Walt's story. This might have taken away from the impact of that.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I finally got around to watching Unbelievable.

That looks pretty good. I'll give it a go.

Unbelievable (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb

I really enjoyed that show. It was nice to see Merritt Wever moving onward and upward from The Walking Dead. I could see she was good in it, but shes great in Unbelievable. The acting all around is much better than I expected.

I didnt know the backstory until after I finished it. Its even more impressive.

An Unbelievable Story of Rape - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Unbelievable_Story_of_Rape

"An Unbelievable Story of Rape" is a 2015 article about a series of rapes in Washington and Colorado that occurred between 2008 and 2011, and the subsequent police investigations. A collaboration between American non-profit news organizations The Marshall Project and ProPublica, the article was written by Ken Armstrong and T. Christian Miller. It won the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Reporting and the 2015 George Polk Award for Justice Reporting.

An Unbelievable Story of Rape — ProPublica - https://www.propublica.org/article/false-rape-accusations-an-unbelievable-story

Its comforting to know there are people out there that have the desire to stand up and fight for those who cant and have the power to make a difference.

Top Bottom