What's new

Need a new wallet

S

Sam

I dont know which size to get. I have a license, a credit card, a debit card, a Kroger grocery discount card I use to get 3 cents off gas (and use it for all our cars) and then health insurance. I have about 4 business card-like papers for info and then the bills. I have a Brighton money clip that holds cards that I can fit in the front pocket, okay for vacations, but with dress pants, would be wierder than a small backpocket wallet. I dont like wearing suit coats in the office and generally to lunch, so maybe a back pocket wallet is more appropriate? Suggestions?

I see the Saddleback mentioned a lot and it is a good price point for a quality product. Not likely to spend the $$ for Adney Swaine, Ghurka or even Coach (though I have a Coash now with 5 slots on one side and a coin purse on the other),

I purchased a Saddleback small wallet about a month ago and have very pleased with it. I use it for everyday (jeans, dockers, etc.) as well as dress pants/suits. No complaints...carries all I need, looks sharp and is breaking in very nicely.

I have a Ghurka which I've had for 15 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it. These days I only use it for dress. I also have a large saddleback bifold. it's very nice but I wouldn't wear it with dress clothes. it's not very dressy.It fits jeans and casual clothes. it's ballistic leather-very thick and rough and well made. Well worth the price.

S

Sam

I have a Ghurka which I've had for 15 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it. These days I only use it for dress. I also have a large saddleback bifold. it's very nice but I wouldn't wear it with dress clothes. it's not very dressy.It fits jeans and casual clothes. it's ballistic leather-very thick and rough and well made. Well worth the price.

I read up on the large bifold and I think that is too big. It is either the medium bi fold or a credit card one. Just wondering how the credit card one would do in suit pants pockets. I usually have my Coach in my right back pocket.

And you say that the Saddleback is not all that dressy? I mean, the Coach is smooth brown leather but I do not whip out my wallet all that much in business settings. Maybe lunch but then again it is only out a few seconds.

:blushing:One problem with large or fat wallets is compression of the sciatic nerve causing pain and numbness on the side worn. This happened to me after my wife gave me a beautiful new, large wallet. I wound up getting an evaluation for a disc problem - when the MRI was normal the radiologist asked if I had gotten a new wallet! He says he sees it happen all the time! I felt like a total idiot!!:blush:

Splurge and go for the Saddleback wallet.
I have the large and I love it.
Ok, so i've only had it since Christmas, but It's the best.

S

Sam

My Coach has a change purse in it that I never use. Trying to get thinner. So, who has changed over from a back pocket carry to front pocket? Does it bulge in suit pants?

I have a Brighton card holder, not pocketed, that has a magnetic silver money clip on the outside. I dont know that I prefer that. Seems like the clip makes it bulky for dress pants. I think that Slimmy model is okay but may be hard to fold more than 3 or 4 paper currency, but I dont know.

With a front pants pocket carry, or credit card case, any problems with the magnetic strip on the debit and credit cards?

I use a Saddleback Small wallet BUT if you carry a lot of cash it's not so good as it's hard to put in and take out the notes.

If you want slim then have a look at the All-Etts.

I've moved from a back wallet to front pocket carry, though the All-Etts are so thin you can use either.

I did a quick review of the Saddleback Large ( which is sadly TOO large and heavy for me ) against the All-Ett Executive here if that helps

S

Sam

Ok, how many bills can you fit in the small Saddleback? I know that if someone comes in and gives me a wad of bills, Ill have to carry them loosely, but most times, I prefer a debit card and keep maybe 4 or 5 bills in the wallet. I have to sorta dig in the wallet anyway to grab bills out and in the bills compartment, I fold up my ATM and credit card receipts until I get home and store them, or hold onto my dry cleaning ticket.

At $29, that Saddleback aint bad. Read generally good reviews on the Slimmy but some on Amazon report that the magnetic strips can be a problem and the leather aint all that good. I have not heard much about the Alt e's or that other brand.

So, what is your experience on quality and utility? What about how it would or would not look with dress pants on?

Sam

I'd say I overstuff my Saddleback which makes it hard to even get a couple of notes into the note slot . I've got 3 cards in the front pocket, 3 cards in the back wallet on one side. 2 cards in the front ID part, 2 in the back pocket and then 3 business cards as well. This makes it very hard to put dockets and stuff in as well.

The other wallet I use a lot is the All-Ett International . Up to 14 cards. It's more of a traditional wallet.

The Saddleback is "cooler', more retro but heavier but it'll last you forever.

All-Ett is more "traditional" , smaller, lighter and more flexible for dockets and notes etc. My last couple of All-Etts lasted me around 5 years each.

Either one goes in my suit trouser front pocket for work without creating a bulge, drag or anything like that.

Of course the standard B&B disclaimer....YMMV :biggrin1:

Thickness between the two isn't that different really...........

I think in the end all comes down to which one "floats your boat"

( If you can't guess I'm trying to get out of housework :lol: )

All-Ett
proxy.php

SB
proxy.php

S

Sam

Ian, I am torn between the Saddleback, then the Slimmy and then a Col Littleton front pocket wallet I found at Orvis ( http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0K06), in that order. The Saddleback has a great price point, the leather quality and that 100 year warranty. Downside is what if I have say 6 or 7 paper currency bills and a credit card receipt or two, will that middle holder be a hassle? The downside of the Col Littleton is the price and it may be thicker than the Slimmy, and then the Slimmy, there is a few bad summaries on Amazon.

I am today using my Brighton holder and it feels good, but that metallic clip, I am not used to. I also think that, and it may be just me, the card holder could loosen up and let cards out. Feels different not to be sitting on a wallet

edit: wow, found a Col Littleton

Found a Col. Littleton that seems neat
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0K06

better here

http://www.colonellittleton.com/?p=products&f=prod&cat=5&id=w5

and flap one

http://www.colonellittleton.com/?p=products&f=prod&cat=5&id=w5fl

you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryaDKs2muPo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

\

I think it is between the Saddleback and Col Littleton for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, you all are unbelievable! I was perfectly happy with my wallet until I saw this post, which of course caused me to peruse the other threads on wallets. Now I'm convinced that I want/need/deserve a new wallet either carbon fiber or rayskin! I had best keep away from the "need new sunglasses" threads! All your fault :lol::tongue_sm:lol::tongue_sm:lol::tongue_sm

I think wearing a saddleback with a suit and tie is about the same as wearing an inexpensive plastic digital watch with same or carrying a bunch of keys hooked to your belt. They just don't go. The large bifold is large yes but in my case it's just what the doctor order. It extends a inch or so above my pocket and as I advance in age I'm losing my finger grip and digging a wallet out of my pants pocket is starting to become no laughing matter.

Hello Sam,

I have bought two of the following wallets in the last 14 years (they last about 10 years):

Wilsons Slim Leather Card Case
http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produ...&cp=2446812.3675000.3690018&parentPage=family

If I were buying a new wallet today, I would consider these three as well:

Saddleback Wallet Narrow Bifold
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/ca...800-Leather-Wallet-Narrow-Bifold-Carbon-Black

and

Tanner Ulility Bifold Wallet
http://www.tannergoods.com/products/utility-bifold-wallet-black

and

Col. Littleton No. 2 Card Wallet
http://www.colonellittleton.com/?p=products&f=prod&cat=5&id=w2

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
S

Sam

Mikey, I held a Col Littleton and it is a nice thin leather. However, I saw a needlepoint credit card holder that just caught my eye

Check out smathersandbranson.com and go to the collegiate line and then go to the University of Tennessee and click on the credit card wallet. The "t' logo is the one I am getting but if you click on the checkerboard pattern, you see the actual holder.

Yes, it will be thicker than the Col littleton, twice as thick, but hey, I love the look. Spendy at $55 but it will hold up. Still much lighter than the Brighton money clip/card holder I am using and thinner too

Oooh that saddleback is nice. Ideally I'd like something like that with an extra pocket attached to the flap, like one of those see through driver license holders in it. I need to upgrade mine. I have a Fossil money clip wallet I carry now, nothing extravagant. But the problem is the leather from the clip is worn off and the metal is coming through. I haven't kept a wallet in my back pocket in probably over 20 years, even if they weren't technically front pocket wallets. Once I saw a few things on how easy it can be for a pro to lift things out of your back pocket, especially in large crowds with people bumping each other a lot. I stopped carrying anything remotely valuable in my back pockets, plus it is uncomfortable as hell sitting on a wallet. I wonder if Saddleback's medium wallet would work as a front pocket?

Last edited:
Top Bottom