What's new

Need a New Cologne (First Post)

Thanks for posting, drysideshooter!

<to me it comes accoss as something a stockbroker that just made his first big sale would wear, thinking he's really arrived>

I kind of know what you mean, but I think it would be an unusual stockbroker making his first sale who would ever come across Lui, much less purchase it and wore it! If he did, I would give him big props for having the taste to find and then to recognize a scent that was projecting something of the way he was feeling, that was a scent far from the run of the mill "usual suspects." I think Lui is a masterwork, not likely to be full appreciated by many, much less chosen by them, no matter that it is potentially a perfect expression of a particular state of mind!

I think your stockbroker making his first big sale is much more likely to be taking a bath in whatever the hot popular higher end department store scent is these days, or even something like Creed Green Irish Tweed (which is a fine, if over used scent), which in truth speaks to nothing of his personality or his "inner state," but just appears him to be popular, attractive to potential "dates" of one's preference, and somewhat expensive!

Just some my opinion only thoughts! Thanks again for posting!

To me Lui is pretty much an in your face scent that someone that really wants to be noticed would wear. I do like the smell of it, it's just a little too over the top for me.

With no disrespect meant towards anyone, from my experience almost 100&#37; of people that will come out and tell you they are wealthy, really aren't. At least not in the opinion of those that actually are wealthy.

Wealth and perceptions can be a funny thing. I have one neighbor that is a retired professional athlete. He's a big guy, really loud and outgoing, flashy. He owns a number of very nice automobiles and doesn't drive anything understated. His house is pretty much over the top huge. He's big in all ways and wants everyone to notice him, and if someone doesn't know, he tells them he played professional athletics. I've heard him be rather boastful on more than one occasion.

I have another set of neighbors where the wife is an ER doc and the hubby is a surgeon. They too seem to want to wear their wealth on their sleeves and be noticed. Really nice people, but it seems like they are probably cash flow wealthy and may not have actually accumulated much net worth. I don't know that of course, but suspect it. Both of them are sure to make sure that everyone at a party knows they are doctors (seen it happen at a party), and they go on and on about where they are going on vaction, new cars, the top private schools for their kids, etc.

I have another neighbor that is a single guy in his late 50's. His house is more modest than either the doctors or the athlete's. He has a pickup truck and a newer Mercedes SL. He and I are good friends, so I know a bit more about him. He owns a rather large company that he is slowly turning over to his oldest son. He is pretty quiet, doesn't attend many of the neighborhood functions, and doesn't talk to a lot of the neighbors. Almost every day of the week he wears neatly pressed Filson trousers and a modest shirt. When he does talk with people it's usually about his grandkids. If you ask him how it's going he will tell you about something one of his grandkids has done, not about his wealth or what he's bought or where he's been. This guy made a little more than 200 million last year. He owns a jet and has a pilot on the payroll. He owns a couple of homes in other areas.

I know for a fact that most of the neighbors think the cashflow wealthy/networth poor doctors are far more wealthy than the quiet neighbor. Of course they all assume the ex athlete is worth much more as well. I'm sure the athlete has a fairly high networth, but would be willing to bet that it pales in comparison to the quiet neighbor, and probably isn't growing nearly as quickly. I've traveled a bit with the quiet neighbor and he is always extremely polite to everyone that he interacts with. He is a very confident guy, but doesn't seem to feel the need to proclaim his success to the world. I think that's the big difference between someone like the stockbroker in my analogy and someone that actually is wealthy, and likely to stay that way.

Just my two cents. I'm always a little suspicious of those that wear a scent that makes it obvious that they want to really be noticed. To me Lui just strikes me that way. If you really are Indiana Jones or another intrepid adventurer I think it's a perfect scent though.

I imagine to folks who don't care to know much about fragrance, Lui will come across simply as sweet amber. the magic is in the nose of the wearer.

Well, dryshooter, what you write is quite thought provoking and I may well agree with quite a bit of what you say. Those who really have it, often do not flaunt it. While frequently enough those that do not really have it, pretend to flaunt it.

And sounds like you live a one heck of a neighborhood! Sounds like everyone living anywhere near there is so high above my pay grade that I would have no experience at all to they life styles that is relevant. And the only time I would be attending one of your neighborhood parties is if I was hired to serve drinks and carry around trays of hors d'oeuvres! :biggrin1: (I am kidding but only to some extent!)

Thinking about the overall thread though--and I am not saying the OP fits the description or is trying to fit the description of your folks that do not have it but flaunt it as if they do; he presented a different kind of persona that is not necessarily related to that persona at all!--the OP asked for advice on a scent that would fit with and project the personality he described. And I think thank the forum collectively provided good advice on that, and I truly think Mazzolari Lui fills the bill.

I think your description of Lui is quite apt and indicates that fits his purposes very well: <To me Lui is pretty much an in your face scent that someone that really wants to be noticed would wear.>

The OP did not ask us whether he should take on a different persona than the one he described and what scent he should wear if he wantd to adopt that persona. I assume the OP finds the persona described is what he finds natural and otherwise useful and comfortable to him in his dealings with the world. I find myself without an opinion about what might or might not work best for the particular guy!

So what scent does your 50 + year old, modest dressing and acting guy wear? Or--I am not being disrespectful or mocking here at al, in part I am just reflecting back the very detailed knowledge you have of a guy that is apparently pretty quiet-- are you actually this $200 million a year guy!

To me Lui is pretty much an in your face scent that someone that really wants to be noticed would wear. I do like the smell of it, it's just a little too over the top for me.

With no disrespect meant towards anyone, from my experience almost 100&#37; of people that will come out and tell you they are wealthy, really aren't. At least not in the opinion of those that actually are wealthy.

Wealth and perceptions can be a funny thing. I have one neighbor that is a retired professional athlete. He's a big guy, really loud and outgoing, flashy. He owns a number of very nice automobiles and doesn't drive anything understated. His house is pretty much over the top huge. He's big in all ways and wants everyone to notice him, and if someone doesn't know, he tells them he played professional athletics. I've heard him be rather boastful on more than one occasion.

I have another set of neighbors where the wife is an ER doc and the hubby is a surgeon. They too seem to want to wear their wealth on their sleeves and be noticed. Really nice people, but it seems like they are probably cash flow wealthy and may not have actually accumulated much net worth. I don't know that of course, but suspect it. Both of them are sure to make sure that everyone at a party knows they are doctors (seen it happen at a party), and they go on and on about where they are going on vaction, new cars, the top private schools for their kids, etc.

I have another neighbor that is a single guy in his late 50's. His house is more modest than either the doctors or the athlete's. He has a pickup truck and a newer Mercedes SL. He and I are good friends, so I know a bit more about him. He owns a rather large company that he is slowly turning over to his oldest son. He is pretty quiet, doesn't attend many of the neighborhood functions, and doesn't talk to a lot of the neighbors. Almost every day of the week he wears neatly pressed Filson trousers and a modest shirt. When he does talk with people it's usually about his grandkids. If you ask him how it's going he will tell you about something one of his grandkids has done, not about his wealth or what he's bought or where he's been. This guy made a little more than 200 million last year. He owns a jet and has a pilot on the payroll. He owns a couple of homes in other areas.

I know for a fact that most of the neighbors think the cashflow wealthy/networth poor doctors are far more wealthy than the quiet neighbor. Of course they all assume the ex athlete is worth much more as well. I'm sure the athlete has a fairly high networth, but would be willing to bet that it pales in comparison to the quiet neighbor, and probably isn't growing nearly as quickly. I've traveled a bit with the quiet neighbor and he is always extremely polite to everyone that he interacts with. He is a very confident guy, but doesn't seem to feel the need to proclaim his success to the world. I think that's the big difference between someone like the stockbroker in my analogy and someone that actually is wealthy, and likely to stay that way.

Just my two cents. I'm always a little suspicious of those that wear a scent that makes it obvious that they want to really be noticed. To me Lui just strikes me that way. If you really are Indiana Jones or another intrepid adventurer I think it's a perfect scent though.

What does money have to do with it? Either you like it enough to buy a bottle or you don't. Analyzing whether or not it makes you look like old money or new money is a little too calculating, perhaps even contrived, for me. If I want to wear something, I wear it because I enjoy it.

Last edited:

+1 on the perceptions of wealth. I live in a neighourhood combined with both old money and new money. Old money drives the 10 year old beater while new money is in the leased S Class Mercedes. Enough said.

My scent is Trufitt and Hill Grafton BTW.

+1 on the perceptions of wealth. I live in a neighourhood combined with both old money and new money. Old money drives the 10 year old beater while new money is in the leased S Class Mercedes. Enough said.

My scent is Trufitt and Hill Grafton BTW.

If you live in a neighborhood with old money and new money, that must mean you have money...:lol:

Therefore you are a weathly man wearing Grafton. But... Grafton doesn't smell like a rich man's scent, so what gives? :thumbup1:

Top Bottom