What's new

What's the purpose of SCENTED shave soaps?

Is it primarily for the pleasure of enjoying a nice scent during the shaving experience?
TLDR: in my opinion, yes.

If I could do it all over again, I would focus my purchases on unscented soaps. I would rely on aftershaves for fragrance duties. I might still pick up a scented soap on occasion, but the fragrance wouldn't be the deciding factor.

I would then be able to enjoy a nice shave as a result of the soap's performance while limiting the total number of jars and tubs in my stash. I could also 3017 a soap and still enjoy a different scent every day just by choosing a different aftershave.

My shaves take only a few minutes, but the scent of an after-shave splash or balm can stick around for several hours. If I found an aftershave I didn't like, it would be easy to sell, trade, or PIF it to someone else.

It's too late for me; save yourself :cool:

Incidentally, during Covid when I was wearing masks I could always smell my shavng soaps inside the mask for the whole day. It was an unexpected benefit. So the soap scent does linger on your skin even if you don’t normally notice it.

Noble Otter Rawr was my first choice Covid soap. Lovely scent. Made me feel happy at a time when I needed that.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
My current favorite moderately priced soaps: MWF, Haslinger Sandalwood, Cella Organic. (all very weak scents to my nose)

I'll branch out from there on my smelly soap journey. I tried a Bay Rum scented soap once and didn't care for it. Also, tried a Barbershop scent that was ok, but didn't knock my socks off. Any other suggestions for happy/soothing scents without breaking the bank? (see, I'm still disgustingly pragmatic) Maybe something 'outdoorsy'.

I imagine scent opinions are pretty subjective, depending on individual tastes.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The only scent that I actually loved was Williams; it just smelled like shaving to me. There are similar scents such as Arko but it is just different enough not to "do" it. I no longer pay much attention to what a soap smells like. Soap is only on my face for about two minutes so I depend on aftershave.

My current favorite moderately priced soaps: MWF, Haslinger Sandalwood, Cella Organic. (all very weak scents to my nose)

I'll branch out from there on my smelly soap journey. I tried a Bay Rum scented soap once and didn't care for it. Also, tried a Barbershop scent that was ok, but didn't knock my socks off. Any other suggestions for happy/soothing scents without breaking the bank? (see, I'm still disgustingly pragmatic) Maybe something 'outdoorsy'.

I imagine scent opinions are pretty subjective, depending on individual tastes.
Here you go. Now I don't know how much structural support your bank has but this soap is exactly what you're looking for.

House of Mammoth Hygge:

Hygge (hyoo-guh) is a Danish concept which conveys a sense of comfort and togetherness. The concept reminds us of an old-fashioned barbershop, where people come together to enjoy relationships and the simple everyday pleasure of a good shave. Like the classic barbershop fragrances, Hygge contains a healthy dose of citrus, oakmoss, and musk, but the similarities end there. Sharp evergreens provide a wintry freshness, while amber, frankincense, and castoreum provide
warmth and depth.

I have this soap and I can say the scent makes me happy. I don't get any barbershop vibe, maybe it's a NYC barbershop scent. But it's just a nice scent you could use everyday. HoM post shave is also top tier so your face gets an added bonus.

Here you go. Now I don't know how much structural support your bank has but this soap is exactly what you're looking for.

House of Mammoth Hygge:

Hygge (hyoo-guh) is a Danish concept which conveys a sense of comfort and togetherness. The concept reminds us of an old-fashioned barbershop, where people come together to enjoy relationships and the simple everyday pleasure of a good shave. Like the classic barbershop fragrances, Hygge contains a healthy dose of citrus, oakmoss, and musk, but the similarities end there. Sharp evergreens provide a wintry freshness, while amber, frankincense, and castoreum provide
warmth and depth.

I have this soap and I can say the scent makes me happy. I don't get any barbershop vibe, maybe it's a NYC barbershop scent. But it's just a nice scent you could use everyday. HoM post shave is also top tier so your face gets an added bonus.
Yeah, that’s a nice one.

Incidentally, during Covid when I was wearing masks I could always smell my shavng soaps inside the mask for the whole day. It was an unexpected benefit. So the soap scent does linger on your skin even if you don’t normally notice it.

Noble Otter Rawr was my first choice Covid soap. Lovely scent. Made me feel happy at a time when I needed that.
At first glance I thought your post said you were wearing masks while you shaved. Wouldn’t that be somethin’. 🤪

Thinking a bit more about the OP’s question, I’m starting to realise there is probably more going on with soap scents than I had really paid attention to.

Looking back, shaving soap brands used to have one soap scent or a few scents, which were usually pretty standard types. Some of the brands marketed the scent aspect more than others, but I think it is a comparatively recent phenomenon where we now see soap makers primarily selling the scents. Sure, they have all worked hard to develop a good soap base, but all of the marketing and product description is about the scent notes or what the fragrance should evoke to you. Some soap makers even change their scents constantly and sell them effectively as limited editions - Grooming Dept., for example. Some soap brands have dozens and dozens of scents.

I wouldn’t say we have lost anything in the quality of the base soaps, but as shave soap prices have risen the perfumery aspect has taken centre stage, presumably to justify the prices and to stand out in a crowded market. And in that sense it may be true that the scents have taken on more significance than they really warrant, given that shaving soaps are meant to lubricate the skin and soften the beard, and they are not perfumes. We’ve kinda gone along with it because a nice scent enhances the shaving experience, but perhaps it is getting out of proportion to what the scent is really adding.

Anyway, just thinking aloud and rambling on again.

Last edited:
If you can obtain some of this you will understand. Pure luxury!!
20231116_170122.jpg

Top Bottom