What's new

What's the purpose of SCENTED shave soaps?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
It seems to me that most shaving soap scents fade and don't last very long after you're done shaving, plus the fact that most of us apply aftershave or cologne afterwards anyway with the scent we want to stick with us.

I don't think scents actually contribute to the performance of the lather. Although some helpful additives like Bergamot or menthol may briefly give off some pleasant fragrance as a byproduct.

So, what's the purpose of all the different shaving soap scents in artisan soaps? Is it primarily for the pleasure of enjoying a nice scent during the shaving experience? That's the only thing I can think of.

Last edited:
Scents can end up being a big deal over time to many shavers. The scent is a big part of the shaving experience, even if it doesn't stick around after the shave. Products where the scent didn't do it for me usually got moved to the back of the cabinet or moved on, even if they performed very well otherwise.

I prefer simple scents, classic scents, and so on. Some of the newer soaps out now are like a complicated perfume with 10 or more different FOs in them. Not really my thing.

I used to think the same way regarding shave cream scents - what's the purpose? Canned goo smells like chemicals and scented goo smells like scented chemicals and I thought that is just the way it is. I went to Cremo, and while they had some different scents, I wasn't thrilled with them, and the scent did linger. I essentially just used their standard scent which didn't hang around and tolerated it. Then I started traditional wet shaving and was intrigued by all the scents available as well but was concerned about lingering fragrance as I don't particularly want to maintain a fragrance after the fact. My wife is sensitive to smells which can trigger migraine. I gave up wearing cologne 27 years ago. I wear unscented deodorant.

I have sampled Stirling shave soaps - Bay Rum (love me a good Bay Rum, Haverford - a tobacco and vanilla, and Triumph - an Invictus dupe). These, for the most part (excluding Triumph), don't linger after the shave. And they don't smell like chemicals. So, I can now enjoy the scent of the soap during the shave, which takes longer, and it is a pleasant experience. I love the smell of Haverford - I will sometimes go into the bathroom, open the container, and just take a deep whiff - it's that good. But I don't want to smell like vanilla tobacco all day, and I don't because the fragrance disappears after shaving. Triumph does hang around after the shave and that's why I don't go to it that often.

While I personally don't like the smell of lavender (that gives me a headache), I have read on the forums that many men do like the smell, as well as rose and other florals. And a lot of soaps designed for men include those scents as major notes. They smell nice, but I doubt many men want to maintain the floral aspect throughout the day. But, at least for a short while during the shave, we can enjoy whatever scent we are in the mood for, and then get on with our day.

While I personally don't like the smell of lavender (that gives me a headache), I have read on the forums that many men do like the smell, as well as rose and other florals. And a lot of soaps designed for men include those scents as major notes. They smell nice, but I doubt many men want to maintain the floral aspect throughout the day. But, at least for a short while during the shave, we can enjoy whatever scent we are in the mood for, and then get on with our day.

Many floral scents, especially made from EOs, do not linger.

Lime is another one that does not linger. That is why fragrances (not soaps) that use these notes have different middle and base notes that linger long after the citrus or lavender is gone. Without those supporting notes, you would smell no fragrance at all eventually.

Re: the headache thing, not everyone can tolerate Lavender. The EO is a known irritant for some people.

Many floral scents, especially made from EOs, do not linger.

Lime is another one that does not linger. That is why fragrances (not soaps) that use these notes have different middle and base notes that linger long after the citrus or lavender is gone. Without those supporting notes, you would smell no fragrance at all eventually.

Re: the headache thing, not everyone can tolerate Lavender. The EO is a known irritant for some people.
Lavender is also toxic for dogs and the scent can be an irritant or more serious in some cases.

I purchased some EO extra to drop around my truck engine bay, to ward off mice. After some research, I found out it isn't good for the pooch, so I limit where I put it and not I aide the truck.

The soap scent is one of the most important things to me. Nothing to do with the shave, but everything to do with my enjoyment of the shave. Personally I’m not looking for a scent that is like a cologne, rather I like a scent that is pleasant, or calming, or evokes some place or memory or mood.

Shaving can be more than simply removing hair, can’t it? It can be a ritual, something we can enjoy doing, and that makes us feel better. I wouldn’t look forward to shaving if there were no aspects that give me pleasure, so they are as important as purely functional things.

Last edited:
It just makes common scents! lol

Scents / Aromas / Fragrances can matter...
I remember years ago reading a study on how some scents/ ambient aromas have a positive impact on awareness, concentration, learning & productivity.
I was executed in Japan. Once a day they would lightly add a different scent (w/ some data on a positive impact).
Google it, you will see more supporting studies around this. Even in school systems.

Aromachology is defined as the scientific, data-driven, study of how smells provoke various psychological or physiological responses. Although a relatively 'new' term, aromachology is an important science that has revolutionized commercial use of fragrances/scents.

So hey, if you struggling shaving, lack of focus, concentration...
Try a soap w/ a great scent you like, it may help with some clarity and maybe more...

Hey...it not your razor....it is your scent that needs a change...
As I have stated many times, it shaving it is never just one thing.

Also think of why some super markets have a bakery upfront as you walk in.
Also, why is the fish counter is way in the back corner.......hmm

Cheers,
BFX...

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason

What's the purpose of SCENTED shave soaps?​

Because life would be so boring without scented shave soaps.

Good point.

I am admittedly pragmatic to a fault (boring).

Enhancing the joy of the shave with pleasant aroma's does sound good. I'm sure my wife would agree that I could benefit from some mood lifting or calming experiences.

Hey! There's an idea, I can spend more money on fancy smelling shave soap and just blame it on my wife. ;) But we'll both be happier for it anyway! win-win

Last edited:
Top Bottom